Congrats to Smart Dairymen; Shame on the Dummies

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      Congratulations to Smart Dairymen; Shame on the Dummies

      In all fairness to dairymen, when they do something
      deserving of applause, I am the first to admit how
      wonderful they've been acting, so dairyladies and dairy
      gentlemen, stand up and take a bow. According to an
      editorial (page 60) in the January 25, 2007 issue of
      Hoard's:

      "We're Doing Better on Drug Residues"

      Hoard's reports:

      According to FDA, in 2005, just 2,155 truckloads of milk
      were rejected because they tested positive for antibiotic
      residues.

      Hoards writes:

      "About 52.7 million pounds of milk had to be disposed of
      in 2005 because it had traces of antibiotics and could not
      be used as food...most positives involved beta lactams,
      followed by sulfonamides and tetracyclines."

      UNFORTUNATELY...
      (Did you imagine that I would let them off so easily?)

      The currently used antibiotic tests are able to detect only
      four different antibiotics. The smart farmers are aware of
      which specific antibiotics their milk is being tested for.
      There are dozens of additional types of antibiotics which
      are being prescribed for dairy cows and are not being tested,
      and most of the smart guys merely use an alternative. This
      way, it's virtually impossible to get caught, particularly
      when your son-in-law is driving the milk truck and doing
      the testing.

      Now for the dummies. What is your problem, numbskulls?
      OK...Back to the slaughterhouse. Trivia Question: What
      is the most common antibiotic residue found in the flesh
      of slaughtered dairy cows and is that antibiotic one
      of the four currently being tested. Trivia Answer: LS-50
      is that antibiotic, and are they testing for it in milk?
      You've got to be kidding me. Hint: Monsanto is the
      manufacturer.

      This story deserves our "Duh of the Year" award, and
      it's still just February. Like the Groundhog, the FDA
      and USDA regulators continue to hibernate.

      If you are currently a milk drinker, there is only one way to be
      certain that you are not overdosing on antibiotics. This is an
      easy one. Give up?

      Notmilk!

      i4crob@...