The PERFECT New York Egg Cream

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      The PERFECT New York Egg Cream

      Occasionally, I write a column and am completely
      baffled by my reader's responses. I'd guess that
      each of my columns results in a minimum of two or
      three dozen serious relies or commentaries. Ten
      percent of my columns will result in over 100
      email letters. On rare occasion, one percent of
      my columns will result in over 1,000 responses.
      I can never predict what chord a column will strike,
      but last week's "Three Cups of Tea column took
      me completely by surprise. See:

      http://tinyurl.com/ea9e3

      Towards the end of that column, I mentioned that my
      daughter Lizzy enjoyed authentic New York egg creams.
      Nearly 200 readers requested the recipe, which once
      again proves to me that the way to a reader's heart
      is often through his or her stomach. In any event,
      the recipe for a PERFECT New York egg cream is as
      easy as making the perfect syrup, which is as easy
      as 1-2-3!

      INGREDIENTS

      1/4 cup Chocolate Syrup (made from soymilk, cocoa
      powder, sugar)
      1 cup unsweetened homemade soy milk
      1 cup club soda

      METHOD

      To make the perfect chocolate syrup, mix ONE part soymilk
      with TWO parts cocoa powder and THREE parts sugar. (For
      those who must be politically correct, we recommend
      cocoa powder produced anywhere but the Ivory Coast.
      Unlike Hershey's and Nestles, slavery cannot and should
      neither be tolerated nor supported. For sweetener we
      prefer dehydrated sugar cane juice.)

      Add 1/4 cup syrup to one cup soymilk and stir until syrup
      blends into the milk.

      Add one cup club soda, stir and enjoy!

      Do not use commercial soymilk. Something is lost
      in the translation. If you do not have a soymilk
      making appliance and cannot make your own, purchase
      unsweetened soymilk from your local Asian market.