The Perfect 2006 Resolution

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2005
      New Year's Resolution: Eat More Rainbows

      Your new year's resolution should be to eat one more
      rainbow each day than you did last year. Legend suggests
      that a pot of gold can be found at the end of each rainbow.
      That treasure can be cashed in to preserve your good
      health and ward off future disease.

      Society considers that which is white, to be pure.
      Such a belief can be deceptive. By shining white light
      through a prism, one is instantly blessed with the
      hidden beauty and complex nature of our universe. A
      pure white beam of light reveals its inner essense.

      Most people can name the seven visible colors of the
      rainbow's spectrum. Violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow,
      orange, and red. Of course, there are two other colors,
      often forgotten, but always present, ultraviolet and infra-
      red.

      Animals and insects feel these colors. Plants sense them
      too. While we lack the same receptors and are blind to their
      existance, our handicap cannot negate their influence.

      The ultras and infras of plants are magical substances,
      indeed! They include plant chemicals, or phyto chemicals,
      such as isoflavones and bioflavinoids. Science teaches us
      that plants protect themselves from attack with their own
      secretions and chemical messengers. Vegetables repel insects
      who would eat them, and blossoms attract other insects with
      a perfume so that their pollens can be spread and their
      species self-propagate. Plants protect themselves from too
      much heat, or cold, or wind, or too much moisture,
      maintaining their own good health with their specialized
      hormones. Plants can cure their own sicknesses and cancers
      by secreting and bathing themselves with these enchanted
      essences.

      When we eat the plants, we are similarly protected. Modern
      science has confirmed the centuries-old traditions and lore
      from cultures that refined the sacred techniques of using
      foods as medicine. We have often heart that "an apple a
      day keeps the doctor away." Such wisdom!

      Today's Perfect Rainbow

      Eat foods of color. The perfect color can be found right in
      the middle of our rainbow, the color green.

      Eat green for wellness.

      In the 1980s, scientists first began to explore how
      phytochemicals prevent cancers. A great amount of emphasis
      was placed upon the fruits and vegetables that contain
      vibrant colors. The best known of these wonder drugs was
      recognized as beta carotene. That's what gives carrots their
      bright orange hue.

      In the 1990s, scientists at the University of Minnesota
      (Steinmetz, et. al.) categorized different groups of fruits
      and vegetables demonstrating life giving, disease fighting
      qualities. In doing so, they defined some of those magic
      colors, and the phytochemicals so contained within those
      pigments.

      The violet, indigo and blues of the plant kingdom include
      phenols and dithiolthiolnines contained in eggplant,
      cruciferous vegetables, grapes, plums, and grains.

      Eat onions and shallots, leeks, scallions and garlic for
      cancer-fighting alliums. Those green leafy vegetables
      contain flavonoids, and inositol is found in beans. Green
      fruits and veggies contain phenols, and plant sterols,
      protease inhibitors and saponins.

      Yellow limonines contained in citrus fruit and squash have
      also been identified as cancer fighters, as have the orange
      carotines in carrots, and my all-time favorite vitamin pill,
      the cantaloupe. Balancing out the rainbow's spectrum would
      be the red phenols in peppers, radishes, and tomatoes.

      Tens of thousands of unique substances have been identified,
      and there are still plant hormones and enzymes yet to be
      discovered.

      Remarkably, the one plant containing the greatest amount of
      these wonderful phytochemicals is the soybean. The tiny
      soybean contains coumarins, flavonoids, inositol, isoflavones,
      lignans, phenols, plant sterols, protease inhibitors,
      saponins, and Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils.

      So, on new year's eve, visit your local produce store
      and treat yourself and family to a rainbow. Make this a
      daily tradition never to be broken.