Soy & Prostate Cancer Risk

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      Soy & Prostate Cancer Risk

      Two weeks ago, I shared with you an paper published in
      the November, 2005 issue of the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
      In that article, Researchers concluded that the consumption
      of soy helps to prevent prostate cancer. See:

      The December issue of Health and Nutrition reports a similar
      healthy conclusion regarding the consumption of soy.

      The authors (Yan & Spitznagel) performed a meta-analysis of soy
      food and risk of prostate cancer in men. The abstract as taken
      from Medline:

      "There has been considerable interest in recent years in the role
      of soy in cancer etiology. The purpose of this meta-analysis was
      to evaluate epidemiologic studies available to date that related
      soy consumption to the risk of prostate cancer in men. We conducted
      a thorough Medline search for English-language publications,
      supplemented with hand-searching of articles' bibliographies and
      nonindexed medical and professional journals, on epidemiologic
      studies of soy and prostate cancer. We identified 2 cohort and
      6 case-control studies that met the following criteria for
      meta-analysis: a study must have assessed soy as a food and provided
      a risk estimate (relative risk or odds ratio) and its 95% confidence
      interval. Data from the same study population appearing in different
      journals were only used once with the most recent publication chosen
      for the analysis. Studies on fermented soy food were not included.
      We conducted the meta-analysis using a random-effects model. An
      analysis of these studies yielded an overall risk estimate of 0.70
      (95% CI = 0.59-0.83; p < 0.001). No publication bias was detected."