One Year Ago and Nothing Has Chnaged

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      On February 1, 2004, I wrote and posted this column:

      Illegal Monsanto Antibiotic Found In Slaughtered Cows

      Point #1

      In America, it is illegal to treat lactating dairy cows
      with an antibiotic called LS-50.

      Point #2

      The most commonly found antibiotic residue in meat
      from slaughtered dairy cows is LS-50.

      Point #3

      New strains of bacteria causing new emerging diseases (such
      as E. coli 157:H7, VRE or Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci,
      and Staphylococcus aureus-MRSA) have developed immunities to
      antibiotic treatment. Some consumers ingest these pathogens
      and become ill, unable to be cured by overused antibiotics
      which no longer work. The above 3 points represent a formula
      that seems to be beyond the grasp of FDA and USDA
      understanding.

      This is the story of two federal agencies which protect
      the interests of dairy and meat producers, while ignoring
      health concerns of American consumers.

      This is also the story of a pharmaceutical company that
      violates the spirit of the law, and in doing so, encourages
      dairy farmers to treat milk-producing creatures with a
      drug that was never intended to be used on cows. That drug
      leaves residues in milk and compromises human safety.

      LS-50 is an antimicrobial made up of two other antibiotics,
      Lincomycin and Spectinomycin. LS-50 is a powerful drug,
      traditionally used on chickens. You can purchase LS-50
      on the Internet from companies marketing it as "the best
      treatment for bovine respiratory diseases." Less than one
      teaspoon of this powder is added to a gallon of water, and
      given to the infected cow each day for 7-10 days. A 2.65 oz.
      bag offered for sale for just $33.50.

      Dairy farmers also use LS-50 to treat a condition called
      footwarts. Very unpleasant. Very illegal. The category of
      mycins that include LS-50 carry serious restrictions and
      warnings regarding their use. FDA relies upon a manual called
      the "Green Book" in setting antibiotic standards.

      Remembering that LS-50 is composed of Lincomycin and
      Spectinomycin, I first looked up the files on every single
      variation of Lincomycin approved by the FDA. There are
      actually 49 different antibiotic drugs permitted for animal
      use. Without exception, each and every one of those drugs
      has been approved for either chickens or swine weighing
      under 250 pounds. None have been approved for cattle or
      dairy cows. There are 21 different manufacturers listed for
      the 49 different drugs. One name stands out, owning 18 of
      those 49, Pharmacia-Upjohn. That is the new name for
      Monsanto.

      It seems that they changed the name, but their game remains
      the same. When it comes to compromising human health,
      Monsanto sits at the leading edge of biotechnological
      deception.

      The second category of drugs were the Spectinomycins. There
      were just ten of these, and Pharmacia-Upjohn/Monsanto owned
      three of them.

      There on the list was Monsanto's LS-50, and here is the
      warning for use of that drug, as written in FDA's Green Book:

      "Species: chicken up to seven days old. Limitations: can be
      used in cattle, calves excluding veal calves, dairy cows
      excluding female breeding age animals. Do not use in female
      dairy cattle 20 months of age or older. Use in this class of
      cattle may cause residues in milk. Federal law restricts
      this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed
      veterinarian."

      Today, Americans eat and drink a drug that taints our dairy
      supply. They consume a drug that compromises their bodies.
      That drug is being illegally used. Can we one day build enough
      jail cells for all of Monsanto's crimes against humanity?

      I would offer you names of FDA and USDA regulators, but
      I will not, for to contact them is an exercise in futility.
      I will no longer play a role in making you feel better by
      writing or calling those people who are working against you.
      Do yourself and your friends and family a favor. Avoid those
      products containing poisons. Take back your health. Never
      again place your future health in the hands of the deceivers.