The Passion of Laura

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Laura Slitt believes that the food we eat directly
      reflects our philosophy and spirit. She is one of
      America's great animal rights and vegan advocates.
      For Laura, writing and lecturing about a vegan lifestyle
      is a seven day per week mission. Laura is an accomplished
      videographer and radio show host. She also promotes
      vegan conferences and demonstrations.

      Contact Laura: maclaura@...

      A few weeks ago, Laura asked me to to write a letter
      or article for a food supplement to be published in
      her local New Hampshire newspaper. I turn down most
      similar requests, for time does not permit me to satify
      as many opportunities as I would wish. Laura is an
      an exception. I have trouble saying no to Laura. I
      contacted the newspaper's editor, and am happy to see
      that the following was published last weekend:

      Making a case for vegetarianism

      By Robert Cohen

      Ten years ago, I read an article in the British Medical
      Journal (Volume 308, 1994) that concluded: "Mortality from
      coronary artery disease is lower in vegetarians than in

      That same year, the American Cancer Society revealed: "Breast cancer
      rates are lower in populations that consume plant-based diets."

      I began to pay careful attention to scientific articles published
      in peer-reviewed journals. In 1995, the American Journal of
      Epidemiology (volume 142) reported: "Vegetarian diets have been
      successful in arresting coronary artery disease."

      So began my exploration of a vegetarian diet. More and more
      Americans have been discovering the health benefits from eating
      fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, and grains.

      In November of 1997, the Journal of the American Dietetic
      reported: "Scientific data suggest positive relationships between
      a vegetarian diet and reduced risk for several chronic degenerative
      diseases and conditions, including obesity, coronary artery
      disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and some types of cancer."

      During these past few months, thanks to the Mad Cow Disease
      scare, many millions of Americans have investigated vegetarian

      Health and disease are most certainly linked to diet. There are good
      and bad foods, just as there are good and bad fuels. Burn gas in
      your furnace, and few residues are left. Burn marshmallows, and it
      will become an internal mess. Burn high octane gas in your car's
      engine, and it runs smoothly. Burn kerosene, and you'll soon need
      an overhaul.

      No additive known to humankind will negate the effects of a poor
      fuel. No vitamins or supplements will negate the effects of bad

      Prevention is surely the best medicine.

      In the case of disease, it's not necessarily what you eat that
      prevents illness. It's what you should not eat that causes or
      prevents disease.

      By eating meat, one consumes proteins containing a greater amount of
      sulphur-based amino acids than are contained in plant proteins. Many
      scientists believe that this is the major reason that vegetarians
      are healthier than meat eaters. Sulphur-based aminos include
      methionine and cysteine. These convert to homocysteine. Many heart
      researchers believe that homocysteine production is the key to
      America's number-one killer, heart disease. Eat foods containing a
      lot of sulphur and your body's furnace burns filthy fuel and dirty
      residues result.

      Saturated animal fats, cholesterol, and sulphur-based amino acids in
      animal proteins challenge our digestive and cardiovascular systems.
      Concentrated dioxins, pesticides and antibiotics in the bodies of
      cows, pigs and chickens make those of us at the top of the food
      chain depositories for dangerous chemical residues.

      Milk and dairy products represent 40 percent of the average American
      diet. Residues from milk, cheese and other dairy products include
      intact allergenic proteins and powerful bovine growth hormones that
      have been identified as key factors in the progression of a vast
      array of human diseases.

      Try this nine-day test. For the first seven days, consume no milk,
      cheese or ice cream. You'll feel better, sleep better, have more
      energy, be less emotional, have greater clarity. The best part of
      this test is still to come. On day eight, eat pizza for dinner and
      ice cream for dessert. Then pay careful attention to how your body
      feels on day nine.

      Approach dietary changes one step at a time. Let your body tell you
      what is right for you. Eliminate all dairy as your first step. You
      will feel the difference. Then poultry. Then seafood. Save the red
      meat for last (lowest levels of sulphur-based amino acids). Then,
      take two carrots and call me in the morning. Tell me that you've
      become a vegetarian. Your body will thank you.

      Robert Cohen is the author of "Milk, The Deadly Poison," "Milk A-Z,"
      and "God's Nutritionist." His Web site is:\http://www.notmilk.com