Iron Depletion and Anemia Caused by Dairy

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      Iron Depletion and Anemia Caused by Dairy

      I met a family in Toronto this past weekend whose
      toddler was severely anemic. I was told that this little
      boy drinks one-half gallon of milk each day, and his
      favorite food is cheese. The little boy was in a stroller.
      He was obese. Mucus was flowing from his nose. I promised
      to send the mother research linking cow's milk consumption
      to iron loss and low hemoglobin counts.

      Last evening I found an interesting study that was published
      in the October, 2002 issue of American Family Physician
      (66,7,:1217-240). The author, L.A. Kazal, M.D. wrote:

      "...iron deficiency anemia in infants and toddlers is
      associated with long-lasting diminished mental, motor, and
      behavioral functioning. Additionally, the prevalence of iron
      deficiency anemia in one- to three-year-old children seems to
      be increasing."

      Dr. Kazal's recommendation:

      "...intervention should focus on the primary prevention of
      iron deficiency. In the first year of life, measures to prevent
      iron deficiency include completely avoiding cow's milk."
      In the second year of life, iron deficiency can be prevented
      by use of a diversified diet that is rich in sources of iron
      and vitamin C, limiting cow's milk consumption..."

      The most common cause of anemia is iron deficiency. Red
      blood cells have a life of about four months, and lack of
      iron leads to an inability to manufacture new cells.
      Hundreds of ailments can result from too-little iron, and
      milk consumption has been shown to cause intestinal
      bleeding, which ultimately results in lowering one's
      hemoglobin count. The result: weakness, depression,
      irritability. The cure: Notmilk.

      The May, 1995 issue of the Townsend Medical Letter reported
      that cow's milk causes hemoglobin loss.

      In 1990, the Journal of Pediatrics (Vol. 116) reported:

      "Cow's milk can cause blood loss from the intestinal tract,
      which over time, reduces the body's iron stores. Blood loss
      may be a reaction to cow's milk proteins."

      Eight years earlier, Pediatrics (1982; 89 ) reported:

      "Babies who are fed whole cow's milk during the second six
      months of life may experience a 30% increase in intestinal
      blood loss and a significant loss of iron in their stools."

      THE CURES

      Here's the good news, as reported in the October, 1999 issue
      of the Journal of Pediatric Surgery:

      "Cow's milk-induced intestinal bleeding is a well-recognized
      cause of rectal bleeding in infancy. In all cases, bleeding
      resolved completely after instituting a cow's milk-free
      diet."

      Here's a better cure:

      Soymilk contains eleven times the amount of iron as does
      cow's milk. A 100-gram portion (3.5 ounces) of cow's milk
      contains 0.05 mg. of iron. The equivalent portion of soymilk
      contains 0.58 mg. of iron.