4862In Memory of My Best Friend Who Died One Year Agl

    Dec 22, 2013

      Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!" he whispered.
      "Yes, Piglet?"  "Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw.
      "I just wanted to be sure of you."
      - A.A. Milne

      *     *     *     *

      My little dog died on this day one year ago. Her cremated
      remains sit in an urn, waiting for my own ashes so that we
      be merged and then spread upon a special place. This poem
      offers comfort to any human who has lost the companionship
      of his or her non-human best friend.

      The House Dog’s Grave
      Robinson Jeffers (1887-1962)

      "I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now
      Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
      Except in a kind of dream; and you,
      If you dream a moment,
      You see me there.

      "So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
      Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
      And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
      The marks of my drinking-pan.

      "I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
      On the warm stone,
      Nor at the foot of your bed; no,
      All the nights through
      I lie alone.

      "But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
      Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
      And where you sit to read–
      And I fear often grieving for me–
      Every night your lamplight lies on my place.

      "You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard
      To think of you ever dying.
      A little dog would get tired, living so long.
      I hope that when you are lying
      Under the ground like me your lives will appear
      As good and joyful as mine.
      No, dears, that's too much hope:
      You are not so well cared for as I have been.
      And never have known the passionate undivided
      Fidelities that I knew.
      Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided...
      But to me you were true.

      "You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
      I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures
      To the end and far past the end. If this is my end,
      I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours."

      "What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies."
      - Aristotle