4854Whys Scrutiny form a Whys Guy

    Dec 15, 2013

      "There are those who look at things the way
      they are, and ask why. I dream of things that
      never were, and ask why not?"
      - Robert Kennedy

      *     *     *     *

      This is the time of year for Three Whys Men.
      The first bears a gift in book form called "Whole"
      and you would be wise to obtain a copy. The second
      whys man has re-written all of the previous
      un-wise athletic advice in his book, "Prevention
      and Care of Athletic Injuries". The third whys
      man wrote today's Notmilk column.

      T. Caspar Campbell. Balthazar Graham. Melchior Cohen.
      Accept the gifts from these three Magi-cians....

      Some things cannot easily be explained.

      Why is it:

      That people will give milk in their refrigerator
      the freshness test for bacteria by smelling it,
      and if they're not entirely sure it's bad, will
      then taste it?

      Why is it:

      That commercial soymilk costs more per quart
      than cow's milk, with the cost of soybeans used
      to manufacture soymilk being less than one penny
      per quart, while the wholesale cost of cow's milk
      is about 20 cents per quart? Ditto for soy yogurt
      and soy ice cream.

      Why is it:

      That fur is "hot," despite the fact that every fur
      buyer must now know how trapped animals suffer, and
      how some "farmed" fur animals are anally electrocuted?

      Why is it:

      That scientists continue to use rats as experimental
      models in food and digestion studies, despite the
      fact that rats have different enzymes than humans,
      and lack gall bladders?

      Why is it:

      That people cheer for cute cartoon animals in
      Disney movies, then eat them for post movie snacks
      at Burger King and MacDonalds? Why is it that
      animal rights issues have been getting enormous
      publicity, and despite that, people are eating more
      chicken and red meat?

      Why is it:

      That people will ignore cancer warnings on packages
      of cigarettes, or salmonella warnings on containers
      of eggs?

      Why is it:

      That the first thing to disappear from my
      refrigerator are the carrots and celery
      that I cut up into bite-sized "sticks,"
      causing me to restock these tidbits
      two or more times each day?

      Why is it:
      That people will peel apples to remove
      unseen pesticides, and not peel strawberries,
      which receive many more doses of pesticides
      than do apples?

      Why is it:

      That fresh fruit will rot on the kitchen counter
      when left in a decorative fruit bowl, but if I peel
      that fruit and cut it into bite-sized pieces, my
      children will eat five or more portions per day?

      Why is it:

      That store-bought pasteurized orange juice is
      more expensive than freshly squeezed juice from
      oranges?

      Why is it:

      That pasteurized orange juice in a container will
      sit inside of my fridge for a month, unopened, while
      freshly made juice will be consumed within hours of
      being made?

      Why is it:

      That shoppers will pay more money for broccoli
      florets in the supermarket, than they will
      if they had simply bought the entire head of
      broccoli which contains additional florets?

      Why is it:

      That people will eat overcooked limp tasteless
      string beans in a can, when there are always
      fresh string beans sold in the produce section
      of supermarkets?

      Why is it:

      That supermarket shoppers will pay $1.99 for
      a 12-ounce package of mushrooms which were grown
      in a cave with excrement as fertilizer, while
      ignoring larger and more beautiful unpackaged
      mushrooms selling for $1.29 cents per pound?

      Why is it:

      That juice from store-bought carrots (containing
      green tops) is sweet and delicious, while juice
      from organic carrots (in cellophane bags-with no
      tops) is tasteless?

      Why is it:

      That there are dozens of choices of white rice
      to select from in my supermarket, while there
      is rarely brown rice to be found?

      Why is it:

      That the expensive pineapples are marketed as:
      "Fresh, Picked ripe, Air direct" while the cheaper
      versions do not say: "Stale, Ripened in a warehouse
      with gas, shipped by slow-boat."

      Why is it:

      That organic produce grown in America contain labels
      that say: "Pesticide-free", while non-organic produce
      grown outside of the United States does not reveal that
      DDT has been used?

      Why is it:

      That George Bush's middle name is Monsanto:

      http://notmilk.com/pelican.html

      That Nixon took a $3 million cash bribe from dairymen:

      http://notmilk.com/trickydick.html

      That Flo-Jo lived and died by her milkstache:

      http://notmilk.com/deb/flojoms.html

      And;

      Few Americans know the truth about any of those stories?

      "Some people see things that are and ask, Why?
      Some people dream of things that never were and
      ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and
      don't have time for all that."
      - George Carlin