4851Prevention & Treatment of Sports Injuries

    Dec 12, 2013

      An injured lion still wants to roar."
      - Randy Pausch

      *     *     *     *

      His name is Doug Graham, and he is now a little bit more
      than 50 years of age, although you could not guess by
      looking at his finely chiseled body, and he is a brilliant
      doctor, writer, lecturer, and trainer of professional
      athletes, and he is vegan, and he is my guru.

      My name is Robert Cohen, and I am now a decade more than
      fifty years of age, and I am the Notmilkman, and I am vegan,
      and I want to complete an Ironman triathlon, and in my
      quest to do so, I experience too many injuries.

      My solution has been to read and re-read Doug Graham's gift
      to full time pros, and part-time wannabe athletes.

      "PREVENTION AND CARE OF ATHLETIC INJURIES"

      Dr. Graham wrote his new book just for me.
      What are friends for?

      I knew that fact when I read in his introduction
      advice to "avoid failure at the weakest link".

      I had been creating one weak link after another.
      particularly in my feet and leg ligaments.

      Graham eloquently writes:

      "If you were building a wagon wheel with sixteen
      spokes, you would want each spoke to be exactly
      the same length as the others, or else the
      resulting wheel would be out of round."

      My body is not round. It is an icosagon, and for
      months at a time of late, I've been asking myself,
      where has my muscle and ligament integrity gone?

      Graham's wheel metaphor perfectly describes what
      I have been doing wrong during my personal training.

      In that same introduction, Dr. Graham lists 32
      "Fundamental Elements of Health".

      I would be able to list five or six.
      If you do nothing else but spend two or more
      hours contemplating the elements of this brilliant
      list, this book would have paid for itself many
      times over. I might even "borrow" this list
      from my friend in order to write a new perfect
      book on sports injuries. But what would be
      the point? That book has already been written.
      At the moment, it is just to the left of my left arm
      in a prominent position on my desk.

      Inspiring? Photos of Dr. Doug Graham inspire me. I want
      to soon have that same magnificent build as the man who
      produced this 4-minute YouTube video:

      http://www.youtube.com/foodnsport

      Prevention & Care of Athletic Injuries contains 17
      chapters, and is broken down into four parts:
      I) Injury Prevention II) Injuries - Failure at the
      Weakest Link III) When Things Go Wrong IV) What
      Injuries Teach Us

      In the beginning...

      Injury prevention (for an ignorant dumbbell like me)
      is worth a kilogram of correct weight-lifting cure!

      My daily gym routine has traditionally included
      40 minutes in the weight room working out on 15
      different machines that make me feel good. Machines
      that I am familiar with. Machines that I enjoy.

      I have forever ignored proper warm-ups and cool-downs
      as parts of my routine as Dr. Graham recommends.
      My repeated injuries might have been warning signs
      which in the past, I've ignored. On page 8, Graham writes:

      "As we age, the need for warming up can cooling down
      generally increases, especially if we continuously attempt
      to reach the levels of intensity that we achieved when younger.

      Graham stresses to "Focus on the now".

      Why have I been spending $75 per hour on training sessions with
      instructors who have not a fraction of Dr. Graham's wisdom?

      Graham repeats:

      "Time is short for most people, and motivation for warming up is
      often not very high. Therefore, it's important that your warm-up
      not be diluted or wasted by unfocused effort."

      Got it, Doug! Attitude change accomplished!! Thank you!!!

      What exactly is a warm-up? Ignorance results in injuries.
      Dr. Graham reports:

      "Warm-up activities are designed to overcome the body's
      ability to maintain its core temperatures. Stretching cannot
      do this. Stretching is an important part of a proper
      cool-down, but holds no place in warm-up activities for
      most sports."

      My own personal observation is that most people who warm up,
      do so by stretching. My injuries. I keep returning to my
      injuries. My past training has been intensely wrong.

      According to Graham, warm-up should take approximately
      30 minutes, while cool-down should last for 1 minute
      for every 5-10 minutes of exercise. In other words, for
      my usual 2 hours of weights and aerobic exercises, the
      cool down period (here's where stretching comes into play)
      should last for 25-50 minutes.

      There is so much more to part one, and each thought is
      a delicious concept for me. However, if I report each
      concept, I would be re-writing Dr. Graham's unique book.

      Before moving on, I must pause to suggest whether or
      not this book is for you. This book has been written
      for three groups of people.

      Group One: People who go to a gym to workout.
      Group two: People who have a regular exercise routine
      which they perform at home.
      Group Three: People who anticipate that they will one
      day join a gym and get into shape so that they can
      feel 18 years old again.

      This book is NOT for committed couch potatoes.

      If you are a couch potato, rather than invest in
      this magnificent book, invest your dollars in a
      good medical plan or cemetery plot futures.

      Part II begins with Chapter 5 on page 63. The subject
      is Overuse, Overload, and Overtraining.

      Yesterday, I was the expert at all of the above.
      Today begins a new day.

      Dr. Graham writes:

      "There is a fairly reliable voice inside each of us
      that tells us what is safe and what is not. "Why
      risk it?" The voice asks. "Don't do that, you will
      likely get hurt," it warns. Self-preservation is
      a natural instinct, and the impulses we have toward
      it should likely be heeded at all times to avoid
      overtraining and injury."

      Like the great 17th century sports philosopher, Rene
      Descartes, "I over-train, therefore, I injure."

      In the spirit of the great 17th century sports trainer,
      Rene Descartes, "You just keep pushing. You just keep
      pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But
      I just kept pushing. Therefore, I limp."

      In the fractured words of the great 17th century athlete,
      Rene Descartes, "Perfect numbers like perfect men are very
      rare. I lose count of my reps and sets. I do not think.
      Therefore, I suffer."

      Doug Graham is the 21st century reborn version of the
      great sports existentialist. "I think, therefore I
      make more sports training sense than any before me."

      Chapter 6 is "Enhanced Recovery". I have told you
      enough to get started. You have read enough to want
      to read the rest. Buy this book and you'll save
      a world of hurt:

      http://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Athletic-Injuries-Douglas-Graham/dp/1893831124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386755472&sr=8-1&keywords=prevention+%26+care+of+athletic+injuries

      Tiny URL:  http://tinyurl.com/m9fvxta

      *     *     *     *

      On page 285, in his final chapter, Dr. Graham writes:

      "Consider the warm-up and cool-down as essentials in your
      smart training regimen...Smart training requires variety...
      Injuries end the fun of training...Some accidents that
      happen are simply out of our control. Most of the time,
      however, we cause them by ourselves...Plan to play for
      the rest of your life.

      If you have chosen not to own this book, take a serious
      look at yourself and ask "WHY?"

      "The thing about getting older is the injuries.
      You just get injured more often. You take time off,
      you come back, you get injured again and you never
      get in shape."
      - Allen Johnson (1996 Olympic Gold medal winner)