4848Main Street Vegan

    Dec 9, 2013

      "This isn't just 'another day, another dollar.'
      It's more like 'another day, another miracle.'"
      - Victoria Moran

      *     *     *     *

      Victoria Moran is a Main Street Vegan.

      On page-3 of her book of the same name,
      Moran writes:

      "A Main Street Vegan is a person with a real life,
      who cares enough about her health and well-being,
      and that of her family and society, that she's
      willing to make some changes - changes that some
      people consider radical - in the way she eats and
      lives.

      "A Main Street Vegan respects the lives of others,
      human and non-human, and doesn't want this planet
      to go to pot on his watch. He's a reasonable human
      being who doesn't expect tigers and Eskimos to
      become vegan, but who realizes that unlike them,
      he can do this.

      "To become a Main Street Vegan yourself, you'll call
      on your courage, your flexibility, your sense of
      adventure, your willingness to learn, and your ability
      to rise to a challenge. You'll also draw on your
      individuality as you make this transition at your
      own pace and in your own way."

      There is more. Much more. There are in fact, 378 pages
      more of what I like to call gentle learning, enduring
      instruction, soothing vegan recipes, and for dessert,
      such genuine wisdom that you will not find within the
      cumulative pages of dozens of other vegan books that have
      unsuccessfully attempted to change the world by enticing
      meat-eaters from their unhealthy dietary choices into
      that brave new plant-based-diet-eating world. Where
      others have failed, Victoria wins the Olympic Gold Medal
      for transitioning. and has re-set the bar.

      I have known of Victoria Moran for about 20 years. I
      never met her. She was always the Guru sitting atop
      a mountain that I never had the opportunity to scale.
      Had I done so, it would have been to my advantage.

      Reading Main Street Vegan was like meeting an old friend.

      There is so much we have in common. There are so many ways
      that our paths crossed. There are so many experiences we
      shared independently in order to arrive where we now are.

      Reading Main Street Vegan was a warm, comfy-cozy experience
      for me. Victoria is gentle and wise and touches every
      single base in the quest to find the stadium of vegan truth.

      We have different styles in getting our messages across.
      I often hit people in the gut (or lower), making them
      swallow the real science regarding an issue. Victoria
      massages the spirit and soul. Reading her book will have
      you desire to become her new BFF.

      This review of her book could become a book in itself.
      I was THAT impressed. Instead, I will offer you some of
      the highlights which held great meaning for me.

      On page 45, which begins chapter 5, Moran writes:

      "If somebody says 'balanced meal,' the picture that
      flashes across my brain is a breaded and fried pork
      chop, some mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans
      (certainly out of a can and with bacon in them),
      a glass of milk, and a piece of apple pie topped
      with a scoop of vanilla ice cream."

      Who does not relate to such comfort foods?

      In this chapter Victoria "Recasts the entrée".

      Such similar challenge is faced by everyone making
      the transition, and is reason for multiple failures.
      Victoria makes it easy by preparing a detailed guide.

      On page 63, Moran addresses a problem of ignorance many
      vegans experience in this 21st century. She writes:

      "It's possible to run into a doctor who'll warn you
      against a plant-based diet...In fact, when I told a
      cardiologist I was vegan, she said, 'You are? I wish I
      could get my patients to do that. Come to think of it,
      I wish I could get myself to do that!'"

      In chapter 10, page-90, Moran challenges readers to
      Know the Beings Behind Bacon and Burgers. She relates
      personal experience regarding her interaction with
      an intelligent pig named Sebastian. After charming me
      with warmth, she then reports:

      "Bacon trumps brilliance every time - 97 million times
      a year, to be exact, when a pig as self-aware as
      Sebastian is slaughtered."

      On page 92, she gets to tales of cows with emotions,
      while on page 97 (chapter 11), Moran begs us to "Let
      fish off the hook".

      Before getting to page 154, Moran has already provided
      her readers with 19 tempting recipes. I counted. Many
      authors carelessly throw together their recipe section
      and include it after the text. Not Moran. She adeptly
      tempts her readers with tempting dishes, such as mock
      tuna, vegan eggs, vegan burgers and vegan gravy! She
      skillfully weaves vegan foods with the vegan philosophy
      of harmlessness, or ahimsa.

      On page-154 (chapter 18), she cleverly fills 18 pages
      to get both skilled chefs and unskilled cooks started
      into dumping the animal foods and applying new cooking
      techniques.

      Before ending the book, Moran spends a few chapters on
      compassionate cosmetics and clothing.

      I highly recommend the purchase of this book for both
      experienced vegans and newbies. For friends. For moms
      and dads. For children. It is going to become a classic.

      To purchase a copy, go to your local bookstore, or
      go online to Amazon:

      http://www.amazon.com/Main-Street-Vegan-Healthfully-Compassionately/dp/1585429333/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386507166&sr=1-1&keywords=mAIN+sTREET+vEGAN

      Tiny URL:  http://tinyurl.com/lwplhr5

      *     *     *     *

      "We do children an enormous disservice when we assume
      that they cannot appreciate anything beyond drive through
      fare and nutritionally marginal, kid-targeted convenience
      foods. Our children are capable of consuming something
      that grew in a garden or on a tree and never saw a deep
      fryer. They are capable of making it through diner at a
      sit-down restaurant with tablecloths and no climbing
      equipment. Children deserve quality nourishment."
      - Victoria Moran

      NOTE: I recently became re-acquainted with Victoria Moran's
      work after an El Paso vegan friend and animal rights activist,
      Greg Lawson, informed me that he would be taking a one-week
      series of classes with Moran at her New York studio. For
      more information, visit Victoria at:

      http://www.MainStreetVegan.net