4845Two New Peer-Reviewed Scientific Studies

    Dec 6, 2013

      "Heart disease continues to be the number one killer;
      cancer, the number 2 killer, not far behind. The tragic
      aspect of these deadly diseases is that they could all
      be cured, I do believe, if we had sufficient funding."
      - Arlen Specter

      "Mortality from coronary artery disease is
      lower in vegetarians than in non vegetarians."
      - British Medical Journal, 1994; 308

      *     *     *

      The December, 2013 issue of the American Journal of
      Clinical Nutrition includes two papers which should
      be of interest to Notmilk readers.

      The first study was performed by analyzing data from
      91,779 women participating in the California Teachers
      Study Cohort Design. The data included 4,140 women
      who were diagnosed with invasive breast cancer between
      1995 and 2009.

      Researchers conclude:

      "The finding that greater consumption of a plant-based
      dietary pattern is associated with a reduced breast
      cancer risk."

      The second study was performed by analyzing data from
      Walter Willet's Harvard University Women's Nurse Study
      and the Health Professionals Follow-Up-Study. The combined
      total of subjects in the heart disease study included
      113,276 male and female participants.

      Researchers conclude:

      "Our data suggest that absolute quantity, rather than variety,
      in fruit and vegetable intake is associated with a significantly
      lower risk of Cardiovascular Heart Disease (CHD). Nevertheless,
      consumption of specific fruit and vegetable subgroups was
      associated with a lower CHD risk."

      *     *     *

      "The medical literature tells us that the most effective ways
      to reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes,
      Alzheimer's, and many more problems are through healthy diet
      and exercise."
      - David Suzuki

      "Breast cancer rates are lower in populations that consume
      plant based diets."
      - American Cancer Society Cancer Facts and Figures, 1994

      In cases of both cancer and heart disease, we've actually
      been aware of both cause and cure for many decades. It is
      as simple as following the Bible's first commandment:

      Genesis 1:29

      Indeed; man has had the one and only true answer

      to his health challenges for many thousands of years.