CORRECTION: How to replace Notepad with Dummy Notepad Prog ram in Windows 2000

  • Carter, Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2001
      There was a missing step in my previous TIP.

      How to replace Notepad with Dummy Notepad Program in Windows 2000

      1) Go to C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache (This is a hidden folder, so make
      sure you have Show hidden files turned on)
      2) Copy NOTEPAD.EXE to another folder
      3) Delete NOTEPAD.EXE from DLLCache
      4) Go to C:\WINNT\System32
      5) Rename NOTEPAD.EXE in System32 as NOTEPAD.MS
      6) This will bring up Windows File Protection dialog
      7) Click Cancel
      8) It will prompt that you chose not to restore original versions
      9) Click Yes
      10) Copy special NOTEPAD.STB from NoteTab Pro folder to System32
      11) Rename NOTEPAD.STB to NOTEPAD.EXE
      12) Copy the attached NOTEPAD.INI file to C:\WINNT\System32

      This points to the NoteTab pro executable. You will need to edit it if
      NoteTab is not in the default folder: "C:\Program Files\NoteTab
      Pro\NotePro.exe"

      <<NOTEPAD.INI>>
      The contents of NOTEPAD.INI look like this:

      [Application]
      ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

      --
      Michael J. Carter
      Associate Director, Software Development