Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

  • Carl Swann
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 1, 2001
      Clueless in Seattle wrote:

      > Well, right now, the only situation I can think of that makes me say:
      > "Now I wonder if
      > NoteTab could help me with that problem?" is how to denote italicized
      > and/or underlined text.

      Both Jody and Jim Hall replied concerning this... Jody's idea would
      get you to where you want to be (albeit in HTML) but why not use a
      word processor. A text editor (like NoteTab) edits text, a word
      processor processes words. NoteTab bakes a cake, while a word
      processor puts on the icing, the sprinkles, and the candles.

      > It's hard for me to imagine how anyone can
      > write much of anything without the ability to mark italicized text.

      I write my copy until it says what I need it to say; only then will I
      use Word 2000.
      If I'm writing casual text such as an e-mail, and I wish to denote
      *emphasis* I use asterisks, a web-based convention which I learned
      only when I began to use the Internet. But if I employ that same
      approach (asterisks) when I'm writing in Word 2000, the program
      automatically underlines it for me! Ha!

      > Or am I trying vainly to use an HTML text editor as a writing tool?

      I don't think wour *efforts* are vain <grin> but you may be trying to
      process words in NoteTab *in* vain!

      oOOo-(_)-oOOo
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 28, 2001
        Hi Eric/Jody,

        Clueless said...
        > Would it be possible to produce a NoteTab with optional configurable
        > features in extra add-on files? So there could be a basic NoteTab
        > kernel, and you could always carry that around on a floppy.
        > But if you wanted additional features, like the clip languagefor
        > example, you could set the configuration to add those, and then NTB
        > would incorporate those features, thus increasing it's size.

        Ever since the notion of a "Gold Edition" first saw its light on the
        list, I've asked myself this question.

        It seemed clear to me that an edition with every imaginable feature in
        it was going to suffer the same kind of bloat that the dreaded MS WORD
        suffers. I know there is recognition that NOTETAB is too big for some
        purposes or Jody wouldn't have pointed me in the direction of the GUN
        (Grown Up Notepad) or Metapad for some of the lighter weight tasks for
        which one might need a text editor.

        Put me at my ease! Tell me v5 will work like this.

        (It's already a real pain trying to run NoteTab from a floppy!)

        Greg