Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 31, 2000
      Carl Swann wrote:

      > My off-list offer to you, Sleepless, to learn how to use outlines
      > still stands. I think most everyone on the list is willing to help...
      > just come up with some situations that make you say "Now I wonder if
      > NoteTab could help me with that problem?" (besides bold, underline and
      > italic).

      Well, right now, the only situation I can think of that makes me say:
      "Now I wonder if
      NoteTab could help me with that problem?" is how to denote italicized
      and/or underlined text. It's hard for me to imagine how anyone can
      write much of anything without the ability to mark italicized text.
      According to http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/italics.htm , Italics
      are used for:

      Titles
      Journals and Magazines
      Plays
      Long Musical Pieces
      Movies
      Artworks
      Famous Speeches
      Long Poems
      Pamphlets

      Names of Ships, Trains, Aircraft
      Challenger
      Titanic
      Orient Express
      U.S.S. Eisenhower

      Foreign Words or Phrases
      For Emphasis
      Words as Reproduced Sounds

      Now how can you write much of anything without bumping into the need to
      italicize?

      I'd like to be able to insert a character to note the beginning and end
      of italicization. The one I'd like to use is a control character,
      Ctrl-Y, (but I don't dare mention where I got that idea from after the
      way I got flamed the last time I mentioned it).

      It has been rumored that the next version of NoteTab Pro will have a
      user configurable command interface which allow me to duplicate a
      certain unmentionalbe command set in NoteTab. So I could type Ctrl-PY
      and it would insert a Ctrl-P character in the text.

      Is there any way I can do that in NTP 4.83?

      Or am I trying vainly to use an HTML text editor as a writing tool?
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 28 7:39 AM
        Hi Eric/Jody,

        Clueless said...
        > Would it be possible to produce a NoteTab with optional configurable
        > features in extra add-on files? So there could be a basic NoteTab
        > kernel, and you could always carry that around on a floppy.
        > But if you wanted additional features, like the clip languagefor
        > example, you could set the configuration to add those, and then NTB
        > would incorporate those features, thus increasing it's size.

        Ever since the notion of a "Gold Edition" first saw its light on the
        list, I've asked myself this question.

        It seemed clear to me that an edition with every imaginable feature in
        it was going to suffer the same kind of bloat that the dreaded MS WORD
        suffers. I know there is recognition that NOTETAB is too big for some
        purposes or Jody wouldn't have pointed me in the direction of the GUN
        (Grown Up Notepad) or Metapad for some of the lighter weight tasks for
        which one might need a text editor.

        Put me at my ease! Tell me v5 will work like this.

        (It's already a real pain trying to run NoteTab from a floppy!)

        Greg