Re: [NTB] Scrambled columns?

  • Terry May
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2000
      On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:57:28 -0800
      DA <daoki01@...> wrote:

      > I don't use tab characters for reasons like this. By setting the
      > View|Options|Documents tab type to smart or fixed, space will be used instead
      > and you avoid this type of problem.

      Of course, that only works if you're using a monospaced font. Tabs are
      a must for proportional fonts.
      --
      "I saw a sign: 'Rest Area 25 Miles.' That's pretty big. Some people
      must be really tired." - Steven Wright

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2000
        Hi Terry, DA, and Others,

        >> I don't use tab characters for reasons like this. By setting
        >> the View|Options|Documents tab type to smart or fixed, space
        >> will be used instead and you avoid this type of problem.
        >
        >Of course, that only works if you're using a monospaced font.
        >Tabs are a must for proportional fonts.

        See Help at end of this and also Help | NoteTab's Glossary for
        more explanation and terminology defined some.

        Pro users "would not" know about that. :) However, if one does
        use real or in Pro with a fixed font and prints the spacing gets
        messed up, even more so if printing is done in a variable width
        font. Pro also has a feature so that once the tabs are spaced
        far enough apart to align them evenly, one can convert the Tabs
        to Spaces under the Modify | Spaces menu. It will convert
        without even alignment if you want. ;)

        Claes Gauffin made a really useful Clip awhile ago that will
        align tab delimited files leaving no less than two spaces in
        place of the real tabs. It is real handy for printing and there
        is no guess work needed. It is one of my all time most useful
        Clips. I do not like setting my tabs way apart so the lines
        align or using fixed tabs, because then I have to scroll forever
        to read the whole line, plus there is a lot of extra white space
        at times when viewing or printing. I need to print it at times,
        so that is where the Clip comes in handy. It will take some time
        say on a 10,000 line document, but should finish. Mucho time in
        Std. It is not that Pro is slow, because it's *fast*, but that
        the Clip has to do each line at a time and calculate for each tab
        to know how many spaces to replace each tab with to make it align
        correctly.

        http://www.egroups.com/message/ntb-clips/3717

        There was a long thread on the Subject below:

        Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:50:22 +0200
        Subject: Re: [Clip] Making a table

        Some...day I will get it up on my Snatch-A-Clip for you all.
        http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm

        Here's what Help has to say, pay attention to Pro, Std, and
        Light under Document Properties:

        Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in
        NoteTab Std by separating each value with a semi-colon (;).
        Values must be ordered in increasing sizes and represent the
        distance from the left margin.

        Tab Units (only available in NoteTab Light/Std): Defines units
        used for tab size.

        Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro): You can change the
        behavior of the editor by changing this option. If the tab type
        is set to Real, pressing <Tab> inserts a "real" tab character
        into the document. If the tab type is set to Fixed, pressing
        <Tab> inserts enough spaces to move the cursor to the next tab
        stop. (This is called "fixed tabs" because the position of
        existing text will not change if the tab size is later changed,
        as it does if real tabs are used.) If the tab type is set to
        Smart, spaces are also inserted into the document, but the
        positions of the tab stops are a function of the positions of the
        words in the previous line.

        Font: Opens the Font dialog box so you can change the font used
        to display your document(s). NoteTab Std can show fixed- and
        variable-width fonts but cannot display fonts with OEM character
        sets (Terminal, MS Line Draw,...). On the other hand, NoteTab Pro
        can display fonts with OEM character sets but does not support
        variable-width fonts.

        There is information in Help | NoteTab's Glossary. I've been
        updating it on and off for awhile so the version on my site
        probably has a half dozen more words in it and a number more
        hyperlinks. Sorry, I forgot to send it to Eric for the 4.83
        upgrade. It always gets real hectic around release time.

        NoteTab Glossary, Edition 1.5
        Last updated on 12-30-2000
        http://www.notetab.net/zip/glossary.zip (29.5KB)

        [Edit Window]
        [Fixed Width (Pitch) Font]
        [Font]
        [Format]
        [Input Control]
        [Properties]
        [Variable Width (Pitch) Font]

        HAPPY NEW YEAR and MILLENNIUM ALL!!!!!!!!

        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab