What is NoteTab for?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 29, 2000
      I'm beginning to wonder if NoteTab is really the best tool for me.

      I started using NoteTab Pro, I don't know how many years ago, because I
      learned that it had an option to use the venerable WordStar command
      set. I've been using it ever since to maintain lists, and not much
      else.

      I'd really like to be able to use it for text editing, but that would
      require the ability to mark some text as either italics or underlined;
      and as far as I know NTP doesn't support that. But how can you write
      anything without being able to italicize or underline? For example, if
      you are writing an artcle with NTP, how do you format the title of a
      book or a journal?

      So, I'm wondering: what is NTP for? It obviously isn't for regular
      writing. Is it designed instead for writing program code?

      Am I wasting my time waiting for NTP to incorporate rudimentary text
      formatting like italics or underlining?
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 28, 2001
        Hi Eric/Jody,

        Clueless said...
        > Would it be possible to produce a NoteTab with optional configurable
        > features in extra add-on files? So there could be a basic NoteTab
        > kernel, and you could always carry that around on a floppy.
        > But if you wanted additional features, like the clip languagefor
        > example, you could set the configuration to add those, and then NTB
        > would incorporate those features, thus increasing it's size.

        Ever since the notion of a "Gold Edition" first saw its light on the
        list, I've asked myself this question.

        It seemed clear to me that an edition with every imaginable feature in
        it was going to suffer the same kind of bloat that the dreaded MS WORD
        suffers. I know there is recognition that NOTETAB is too big for some
        purposes or Jody wouldn't have pointed me in the direction of the GUN
        (Grown Up Notepad) or Metapad for some of the lighter weight tasks for
        which one might need a text editor.

        Put me at my ease! Tell me v5 will work like this.

        (It's already a real pain trying to run NoteTab from a floppy!)

        Greg