Error when closing NoteTab Pro 4.83

  • Terry May
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
      Quite often when closing NTP, I get the following alert:

      ---------------------------
      Application Error
      ---------------------------
      Exception EInvalidOperation in module NotePro.exe at 000414DD.
      Control '' has no parent window.
      ---------------------------
      OK
      ---------------------------

      After pressing OK I get this alert, which multiplies over and over until
      I press OK on it:

      ---------------------------
      Error
      ---------------------------
      Runtime error 216 at 0004CACF
      ---------------------------
      OK
      ---------------------------

      I've have had the same problem in previous versions, but never got
      around to reporting it (I'm relatively new to the list).

      I'm running Windows 2000 SP1.

      Any ideas what's causing this?
      --
      "Maybe I should rob the FoodWay, so they'll send me home. I could shoot
      the manager while I'm at it, kind of like a bonus."

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
        Hi Terry,

        Can you please report this over on the ntb-NextRelease list where
        we suggest features, test for possible bugs, do beta testing,
        etc. When and if you do, please let us know if it is all the time
        and if it is only when say clicking on the "X" button.

        We use the Basic list for discussion of basic use of NoteTab. See
        below to get on the ntb-NextRelease list. TIA

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
          On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:30:13 -0600
          Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

          > Can you please report this over on the ntb-NextRelease list where
          > we suggest features, test for possible bugs, do beta testing,
          > etc. When and if you do, please let us know if it is all the time
          > and if it is only when say clicking on the "X" button.
          >
          > We use the Basic list for discussion of basic use of NoteTab. See
          > below to get on the ntb-NextRelease list. TIA

          Okay, I'll do that.
          --
          "Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Dave Porter
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 29, 2000
            Hi Terry,

            I'm pretty sure Eric is aware of this problem - I reported it some 12
            months ago - from memory clicking on the 'X' causes it, so put an
            exit button on your tool bar and use this instead.

            regards, Dave Porter
            DJ Software

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 29, 2000
              Hi Dave,

              >I'm pretty sure Eric is aware of this problem - I reported it some 12
              >months ago - from memory clicking on the 'X' causes it, so put an
              >exit button on your tool bar and use this instead.

              That should have been fixed in v4.83 unless it is a configuration problem. I use the "X" button all the time and have had no problems. If you are still having them, with NoteTab closed, please zip up your ini file, rename it, and start NoteTab and see if you still have the problem. If not, please send me private eMail your zipped ini file. TIA

              mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
            • Terry May
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 29, 2000
                On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 01:51:42 -0000
                "Dave Porter" <dporter@...> wrote:

                > I'm pretty sure Eric is aware of this problem - I reported it some 12
                > months ago - from memory clicking on the 'X' causes it, so put an
                > exit button on your tool bar and use this instead.

                Jody's message asking if it only did it when clicking on the "X" button
                got me to start using the toolbar icon. So far it hasn't done it using
                that, so I guess it *is* tied to clicking on the 'X'. I haven't posted
                to the other group yet because I wanted to do some more testing first.

                FYI, I'm using v4.83.
                --
                "I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he
                see what I brung him!"

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 29, 2000
                  Hi Terry,

                  Could all of you that are getting errors when exiting NoteTab
                  with the "X" button at the very upper right of the program please
                  zip up your ini file and send it to me at Jody@...
                  please. If you do not know how to zip it up, just send as is
                  please. I did not realize that problem still existed since it
                  never happens to me and this is how I always, well, just about
                  always close NoteTab. TIA ...and thanks John for sending me
                  your's already.

                  >> I'm pretty sure Eric is aware of this problem - I reported it
                  >> some 12 months ago - from memory clicking on the 'X' causes it,
                  >> so put an exit button on your tool bar and use this instead.
                  >
                  >Jody's message asking if it only did it when clicking on the "X"
                  >button got me to start using the toolbar icon. So far it hasn't
                  >done it using that, so I guess it *is* tied to clicking on the
                  >'X'. I haven't posted to the other group yet because I wanted to
                  >do some more testing first.
                  >
                  >FYI, I'm using v4.83.

                  mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
                  http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                    Hi Dave and all,

                    >I'm pretty sure Eric is aware of this problem - I reported it some 12
                    >months ago - from memory clicking on the 'X' causes it, so put an
                    >exit button on your tool bar and use this instead.
                    >
                    >--- In notetab@egroups.com, Terry May <outrider_may@y...> wrote:
                    > > Quite often when closing NTP, I get the following alert:
                    > >
                    > > Exception EInvalidOperation in module NotePro.exe at 000414DD.
                    > > Control '' has no parent window.

                    Yes, I am aware of this problem. It seems to affect only a very small
                    number of users. I believe it is caused by a faulty mouse driver. I'm not
                    sure of the details anymore, but I believe it happens when the mouse
                    pointer is configured to "snap" to the default button, or when you turn the
                    mouse wheel over the NoteTab window as it is closing.

                    I've tried to find a workaround in my code to avoid this error message, but
                    to no avail. I have no plans to spend more time investigating this problem,
                    which is really external to NoteTab. As mentioned above, using the Exit
                    button instead of the title bar [X] button is a good solution.

                    Regards,
                    Eric G.V. Fookes

                  • Terry May
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                      On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 18:51:16 +0100
                      "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, I am aware of this problem. It seems to affect only a very small
                      > number of users. I believe it is caused by a faulty mouse driver. I'm not
                      > sure of the details anymore, but I believe it happens when the mouse
                      > pointer is configured to "snap" to the default button, or when you turn the
                      > mouse wheel over the NoteTab window as it is closing.

                      Neither one of those situations applies here. I don't use the "snap"
                      feature and I don't touch my mouse wheel when closing NoteTab.
                      --
                      "I saw a sign at a gas station. It said 'Help Wanted.' There was
                      another sign below it that said 'self service.' So I hired myself.

                      http://im.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                        Hi Eric,

                        Terry and John both sent me their ini files and I could not
                        reproduce so it clears that at least on Win98SE. They are both
                        on Win2000 machines though, FWIW.

                        >> I'm pretty sure Eric is aware of this problem - I reported it
                        >> some 12 months ago - from memory clicking on the 'X' causes it,
                        >> so put an exit button on your tool bar and use this instead.

                        >Yes, I am aware of this problem. It seems to affect only a very
                        >small number of users. I believe it is caused by a faulty mouse
                        >driver. I'm not sure of the details anymore, but I believe it
                        >happens when the mouse pointer is configured to "snap" to the
                        >default button, or when you turn the mouse wheel over the NoteTab
                        >window as it is closing.

                        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
                        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
                      • Outrider
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                          On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:04:17 -0600
                          Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

                          > Terry and John both sent me their ini files and I could not
                          > reproduce so it clears that at least on Win98SE. They are both
                          > on Win2000 machines though, FWIW.

                          I just had it happen for the first time using the toolbar icon.
                          --
                          "I saw a sign: 'Rest Area 25 Miles.' That's pretty big. Some people
                          must be really tired." - Steven Wright

                          http://im.yahoo.com
                        • John Sherman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                            Hello Outrider,

                            > I just had it happen for the first time using the toolbar icon.

                            Yeah, it happens to me no matter which way I close NoteTab. It
                            doesn't happen *every* time though - just often enough to be a pain.
                            Maybe it is just a problem with win2k.

                            --
                            Best regards,
                            John

                            North Bay Webs
                            Complete Internet Solutions for Small Business
                            http://www.northbaywebs.com

                            ICQ Number: 11683098
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                              Hi All,

                              Thanks for the information on this thread! If you would please
                              send what Windows version you are running if you have the "X"
                              button error problem to me in private eMail so we can get this
                              thread off the list I'd surely appreciate it! :-)

                              mailto:Jody@... or mailto:av1611@...

                              We normally reports problems with the program on the NoteTab-
                              NextRelease list. There is a sign up for it in my sig line. We
                              discuss feature requests, do beta testing for new releases, and
                              things like that on the lists as well. It is not near as active
                              as this list, except for during beta testing - look out then, but
                              you can learn a lot during that time about NoteTab. However, for
                              beta testing it should be for somewhat experienced NoteTab users
                              and certainly computer users because we don't have the time to
                              teach NoteTab during testing.

                              TIA -jody

                              >> I just had it happen for the first time using the toolbar icon.
                              >
                              >Yeah, it happens to me no matter which way I close NoteTab. It
                              >doesn't happen *every* time though - just often enough to be a pain.
                              >Maybe it is just a problem with win2k.

                              Happy Test'n,
                              Jody Adair

                              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                              mailto:ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@...
                            • Terry May
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                                On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:31:04 -0800
                                John Sherman <john@...> wrote:

                                > Yeah, it happens to me no matter which way I close NoteTab. It
                                > doesn't happen *every* time though - just often enough to be a pain.

                                Same here, though this was the first time I had it happen with the exit
                                icon after maybe 10 tries. It happens most of the time when I click on
                                the "X" button.

                                > Maybe it is just a problem with win2k.

                                Apparently so.
                                --
                                "I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit
                                the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone." - Steven Wright

                              • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 31, 2000
                                  On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:04:17 -0600, Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

                                  >Hi Eric,
                                  >
                                  >Terry and John both sent me their ini files and I could not
                                  >reproduce so it clears that at least on Win98SE. They are both
                                  >on Win2000 machines though, FWIW.

                                  I've seen it a couple times, too. It doesn't happen
                                  very often, and has no lasting negative effects.

                                  I am also running Win2000 with a MS IntelliMouse Trackball,
                                  and the latest IntelliPoint drivers.

                                  --
                                  Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen