An odd puzzle

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5 5:01 PM
      06/12/00 00:58:32

      My odd puzzle with Notetab is... If you can print say page 4 from the same word at the
      top left every time, why can there be no facility for viewing where one page ends and
      another begins. I know TxtPrint is suggested and so on, but it does not have the
      flexibility of print that Note Tab has. I can print in Note Tab and given the restrictions on
      text formatting it looks like it could come from a word processor.

      Adrian Worsfold

      web: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      email: adrian@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6 10:12 AM
        Hi Adrian,

        I do not understand what you are saying, specifically, "If you
        can print say page 4 from the same word at the top left every
        time..."

        Print Preview is coming in version 5.

        >My odd puzzle with Notetab is... If you can print say page 4 from
        >the same word at the top left every time, why can there be no
        >facility for viewing where one page ends and another begins. I
        >know TxtPrint is suggested and so on, but it does not have the
        >flexibility of print that Note Tab has. I can print in Note Tab
        >and given the restrictions on text formatting it looks like it
        >could come from a word processor.

        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • beret
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6 11:18 AM
          Hi Jody.
          Jody wrote:> Hi Adrian,

          > I do not understand what you are saying, specifically, "If you
          > can print say page 4 from the same word at the top left every
          > time..."
          > >My odd puzzle with Notetab is... If you can print say page 4 from
          > >the same word at the top left every time, why can there be no
          > >facility for viewing where one page ends and another begins.

          Maybe not exactly the same problem but about pages as well:
          I think Adrian means soft pages, personally I have a problem with hard
          ones:

          Why isn't it possible to use some F-key or whatever to scroll down or up
          one logical page (i.e. immediately beyond the next or previous
          page-break)?
          Isn't this a pretty common feature in other text-editors?
          I cannot imagine one is supposed to use a clip or the search function to
          scroll logical pages.

          bert.
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6 5:07 PM
            Hi Beret,

            >Why isn't it possible to use some F-key or whatever to scroll
            >down or up one logical page (i.e. immediately beyond the next or

            I cannot answer that except to say that Eric may have felt there
            were other more important things to put on the Fn keys. Perhaps
            he can add a shortcut for you in the next release. These are the
            current ones listed:

            CURSOR MOVEMENT
            L/R one character <- ->
            Word right Ctrl+->
            Word left Ctrl+<-
            End of line End
            Beginning of line Home
            Previous paragraph Ctrl+Up
            Next paragraph Ctrl+Down
            Next screen up Page Up
            Next screen down Page Down
            Top of screen Ctrl+Page Up
            Bottom of screen Ctrl+Page Down
            End of document Ctrl+End
            Top of document Ctrl+Home
            Move text downwards (NTP) Shift+Ctrl+Up
            Move text upwards (NTP) Shift+Ctrl+Down

            >Isn't this a pretty common feature in other text-editors?

            I don't know; I seldom work with pages.

            >I cannot imagine one is supposed to use a clip or the search
            >function to scroll logical pages.

            I suppose not. Let's hope for a shortcut in v4,84 if it is not
            too difficult to add. Eric seems to be concentrating more on bug
            fixes now than anything as far as NoteTab goes with a few small
            features added. All the stuff that takes awhile to program due
            to difficulty seems to be a version 5 thing which is still a ways
            off from now.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6 7:07 PM
              07/12/00 02:59:41

              I mean that the program obviously knows where the printing page breaks come, so I just
              wondered why we could not be shown beforehand. If I say print from page 3, it does
              this, but I do not know in advance where this is, unless I printed one already and view
              afterwards on the paper!

              Adrian Worsfold

              web: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
              email: adrian@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6 7:31 PM
                Hi Adrian,

                I understand what you are saying, but I do not know how it is
                done. NoteTab could very well pass the information on to the
                Windows' printing files and the pages are figured out there.
                Eric reads the lists, so it is probably best for him to answer.

                >I mean that the program obviously knows where the printing page
                >breaks come, so I just wondered why we could not be shown
                >beforehand. If I say print from page 3, it does this, but I do
                >not know in advance where this is, unless I printed one already
                >and view afterwards on the paper!

                mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
                http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6 11:07 PM
                  Hello Adrian,

                  >I mean that the program obviously knows where the printing page breaks
                  >come, so I just
                  >wondered why we could not be shown beforehand. If I say print from page 3,
                  >it does
                  >this, but I do not know in advance where this is, unless I printed one
                  >already and view
                  >afterwards on the paper!

                  Unlike a word processor, the layout of the text in the editor window does
                  not reflect the layout used when it is printed. Printer margins, font, and
                  line wrap can be completely different from the screen view. So page breaks
                  can only be determined once the printer is invoked.

                  Regards,
                  Eric G.V. Fookes
                  NoteTab v4.83 available from