Suddenly cannot open files??

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
      Hi everyone,
      I have a curious problem...suddenly, I cannot open anything in NTP
      4.83. The open folder on the toolbar doesn't work, the file-->open
      command doesn't work, and all the directories I added to my favorites
      folder also does not work. I don't get any error messages or
      anything -- All other functions seem to be OK. Anyone have any ideas
      before I reinstall the program?

      Never came across this problem before. I've tried shutting down,
      rebooting, scanning for viruses -- nothing's seems to bring back
      my "open" function.

      Thanks,
      Stephanie
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
        Hi Stephanie,

        If you are on a Win95 machine try installing DECOM. This was a
        good link at one time:

        DCOM95
        http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom95/dcom95.htm

        If you are not on a Win95 machine try a new ini file:

        To create a new ini file, close NoteTab and rename NotePro.ini found
        in its main folder (NoteTab.ini for Std/Light). Start up
        NoteTab and it will use its default settings actually creating the
        ini file when you shut down NoteTab.

        Alternatively, if you have a backup ini file or do not care if you
        loose your settings, startup NoteTab while holding the Ctrl key
        down. You will be prompted asking if you want to reset NoteTab's
        settings. If you choose "Yes" it will be the same as a new install
        or creating a new ini file like above. You will loose all your
        current settings.

        >I have a curious problem...suddenly, I cannot open anything in NTP
        >4.83. The open folder on the toolbar doesn't work, the file-->open
        >command doesn't work, and all the directories I added to my favorites
        >folder also does not work. I don't get any error messages or
        >anything -- All other functions seem to be OK. Anyone have any ideas
        >before I reinstall the program?
        >
        >Never came across this problem before. I've tried shutting down,
        >rebooting, scanning for viruses -- nothing's seems to bring back
        >my "open" function.

        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Stephanie
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
          Hi Jody,
          Thanks a bundle. I moved the .ini file to a different directory,
          restarted NTP using the default values and then moved the my
          original .ini file back. It worked.

          Thanks again. By the way, the link to DCOM95 is not valid anymore.

          -Stephanie

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
            Hi Stephanie,

            >Thanks a bundle. I moved the .ini file to a different directory,
            >restarted NTP using the default values and then moved the my
            >original .ini file back. It worked.

            Yes, that often will. Don't ask me why the original moved back in
            will start working all the sudden.

          • rainmark@att.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
              Hi Jody,
              Below is a valid link for DECOM95. Now I'm curious. How
              can this help with the problem of the broken Open folder?

              http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/dcom1_3.asp
              DCOM95 for Windows 95, version 1.3
              The latest version of DCOM95 for Microsoft� Windows� 95,
              DCOM95 1.3, is now available over the Web. DCOM95 1.3
              extends support for DCOM for Windows 95. With DCOM, your
              application can be distributed across locations that
              make the most sense to you and to the application. The
              DCOM wire protocol transparently provides support for
              reliable, secure, and efficient communication between
              COM components such as ActiveX controls, scripts, and
              Java applets residing on different machines in a LAN, a
              WAN, or on the Internet.
              > Hi Stephanie,
              >
              > If you are on a Win95 machine try installing DECOM. This was a
              > good link at one time:
              >
              > DCOM95
              > http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom95/dcom95.htm

              > >I have a curious problem...suddenly, I cannot open anything in NTP
              > >4.83. The open folder on the toolbar doesn't work, the file-->open
              > >command doesn't work, and all the directories I added to my favorites
              > >folder also does not work.
            • Stephanie
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
                Hi Jody,
                I spoke too soon. I was able to open a few files and then it stopped
                working again. Plus I can't even save files now. Why does this
                happen??? I've been using NTP for nearly 3 years without this
                trouble!

                I'll try using a fresh default .ini file and put back all my
                preferences manually. If that doesn't work, I'll try the DCOM95
                (thanks rainmaker for the link). If that doesn't work, I pray you
                have a "plan 3."

                Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
                  Jody,
                  OK, I got about 1/3 of the way adding back my preferences manually
                  and decided to make sure 'open' and 'save' still worked. Well, they
                  stopped working again. Then I took a look at the DCOM95 page and
                  then did a quick "find files" on my system. Seems I have already
                  have the latest DCOM95 (ver 1.3) file.

                  Help! Now what???

                  -Stephanie

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
                    Hi Stephanie,

                    I know we use to have a big problem with what you are
                    experiencing on win95 machines and DECOM was the fix. Since
                    then, DECOM has been in the IE installs and possibly incorporated
                    into later versions of Windows and I see from your next post you
                    found that out.

                    Try a new install of NoteTab (move old ini out first.)

                    Mark wrote:

                    > DECOM95. Now I'm curious. How can this help with the problem of
                    > the broken Open folder?

                    Beats me. I know it was the fix way back when, but we haven't heard
                    of the problem since, except for maybe once other than this.

                    > OK, I got about 1/3 of the way adding back my preferences
                    > manually and decided to make sure 'open' and 'save' still
                    > worked. Well, they stopped working again.

                    I'll send you a Clip private eMail that will hopefully be a work
                    around for you for now.

                    It is best to post isolated problems that others are not having
                    (once the easy route has been posted) over on the ntb-NextRelease
                    list or write me at Jody@.... There is no problem
                    discussing things like this on the other list. (See below)

                    Happy Test'n,
                    Jody Adair

                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                    mailto:ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@...
                  • David McIntosh
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 1, 2000
                      hI
                      Have you tried deleting the contents of your C:\WINDOWS\TEMP after that
                      save note tab ini,.fts and default.udt and documents and libraries
                      folder then uninstall note tab and restart your machine and reinstall
                      note tab putting back what you save earlier.
                      Do not forget to save the hole note tab folder some where else on your
                      machine as a back up copy.
                      THANKYOU DAVE

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2000
                        Hi David,

                        >Have you tried deleting the contents of your C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
                        >after that save note tab ini,.fts and default.udt and documents
                        >and libraries folder then uninstall note tab and restart your
                        >machine and reinstall note tab putting back what you save earlier.

                        I suggested to Stephanie in private eMail to reinstall DECOM95
                        and received a post from her this morning. She said everything's
                        working so far for her.

                        I remember now that the problem with the Open (and many times Save
                        quick working) happened when IE4 was installed. Microsoft's fix
                        was the DECOM95 file. I do not know if it was an updated version
                        or new file (a patch). It is now shipped with IE5 and perhaps
                        Windows CDs.

                        Please reply on the ntb-NextRelease list or private eMail since
                        this issue does not have anything to do with the basic use of
                        NoteTab. Thanks! :)