  • David & Jorji Milliken
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000
      I've been out of town so here I am back after a long break trying to remember where I was at the time.
      First, Stephen, thanks for taking time to respond to this.
      and now to answer some questions and ask some more.....

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:05:11 -0700
      From: Stephen Riddle <stephen@...>
      Subject: Re:

      Hi, D.
      I don't use Cute FTP, but I can get you started on your problem before I go to
      work and the rest of the world gets up, those NoteTabers who went to bed, that
      is...

      "The d. Milliken's" wrote:

      >>I'm new to the list and new to notepad.
      >>I've figured out a few things but.....
      >(Good, me too)
      >> I use CuteFTP to work in my server.

      >> i don't know what I'm doing
      >> differently but....in the beginning i could simply save my changes by
      >> clicking the disk icon on the tool bar

      >(Note Tab's toolbar?)
      yes in Tab's toolbar

      >> i can't seem to make sense of an easy way to get my finished page loaded up.

      >> if i open my CuteFTP it opens the template but then i have to save a copy of
      >>every change i make when i click the save icon

      >(In Note Tab or CuteFTP?)
      In CuteFTP when you open a directory and then highlight a file, that is a page, and choose to "edit" it first it opens a panel and reminds you to save your changes before uploading. This is the same as when I used note pad. Now that I have Note Tab of course a new browser window opens and I right click to choose "View Source" and then NoteTab opens with the source code in (for all I can figure) a temporary file. I do what editing I want and then click the NoteTab icon to save. Now I have to save a whole new file. Then I go back to CuteFTP and upload. Then if I want to make additional changes I go through the process and now NoteTab opens a new ?Temporary file ... and I have to save it and on and on. I'm sure there is an easier way without saving so many files. The only use I can see for that is to have a history of all the changes, but most often I won't need that. I'm sometime (most of the time) making minor changes just to see how it will look and then I'm right back to the source code and making another adjustment. I assume many people work this way and so I assume there is an easier way of doing this.

      get me going in the right direction.
      BTW I thought this was a BASIC message board.......guess it sounds so advanced to me because its not a NEWBIE board.
      thanks,
      dave
      d. milliken <><
      http://www.virtualis.com/vr/dmillike
      http://www.pixelpallet.com
      P.S.
      "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
      If you can dream it, you can become it."
      William Arthur Ward
      "If we could be in one place at one time to get rich, it would be here and now because of the Internet." (Forbes Magazine)
      Want to know how you can benefit from this megatrend? eMail me dmill@... or leave a message @ 330.996.0067

    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000
        Hi David,

        As Stephen I don't use Cute. But it can't be that different. I'm almost
        certain that Cute lets you chose your preferred editor. So it shouldn't be
        necessary to use the browser and View|source. Look under Options or
        similar. Then everything should work as you are used to.

        But I'm a little confused about if you are trying to edit a file on the
        server and don't have access to a local copy or not. If you have a copy on
        your disk it's must faster and easier to just open it in Notetab, edit it
        and save. Then open Cute, find the file(s) and upload. I'm sorry if I
        misunderstand your problem or am telling you the obvious. You said you were
        a newbie, so I'm playing it safe and assume that you are new to everything :).

        >BTW I thought this was a BASIC message board.......guess it sounds so
        >advanced to me because its not a NEWBIE board.

        It's everything! I think Jody started this as one single list. This one,
        NTB, is for everything to do with Notetab not related to clips, basic or
        not. If you are interested in clip writing there is a special list for
        that. It looks to me like you might want to sign up for the HTML list were
        everything related to HTML and web sites can be discussed (I'm fishing
        here). Here's the sign up link mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...

        Regards,
        Lotta