Heated discussions about NoteTab Light

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hi everyone,

      If you're not afraid of newsgroups (UseNet), you'll find a heated debate
      about NoteTab Lite [sic] under news:alt.comp.freeware

      You can connect to the newsgroup with a newsreader like Outlook Express or
      Forte Agent, or access Deja.com through your browser by using the following
      long URL (should be a single line):

      http://www.deja.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=notetab&DBS=1&ST=PS&defaultOp=AND&LNG=ALL&format=delta&showsort=date&maxhits=25&subjects=&groups=&authors=&fromdate=&todate=

      A small number of users are arguing that NoteTab Light is not freeware
      because of the existence of a Pro version. So they stretch the definition
      of "crippleware" to describe all free programs that have a commercial
      variant. Obviously, I don't agree and have posted a reply to that effect.

      Those of you who enjoy debates of this nature might want to read through
      the arguments <g>.

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.83 available from

    • Mike Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        > A small number of users are arguing that NoteTab Light is not
        freeware
        > because of the existence of a Pro version>

        After looking over the discussion on Deja.com, I am reminded of two
        things:

        1. No good deed will go unpunished.

        2. Some people have nothing better to do.

        Chin up Eric!

        Mike Wilkinson
        Websites-Graphics-Writing
        www.MikeW.8k.com
      • digs
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2000
          [...]

          > After looking over the discussion on Deja.com, I am reminded of two
          > things:
          >
          > 1. No good deed will go unpunished.
          >
          > 2. Some people have nothing better to do.

          [...]

          Hello -

          Bingo.

          And please allow me to add a third line here. Free software is
          nice but neither compels an author to continue to develop her
          product nor does it feed the kids.

          Just my 2cents.

          --
          later on,