several questions.

  • MCMAIER@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
      1.FTP doesn't see all my files written in NT and saved in the same
      folder. Why?
      2. Clicking on View>source tells me that FTP can't find Notepad, even
      though I have made NT replace it. Why does this happen?
      3. NT constantly tells me upon opening it that several files are not
      fully loaded and to use the binary filter next time. Just how is this
      done?
      4.How do I stop all these messages from opening each time I want to
      use NT?
      5. Why aren't my gif images being displayed in the browser? I'm
      always getting a small white box with a red x in it.The HTML code is
      correct.Many thanks.
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
        Hi MCMAIER,

        This is something best answered on the NT-HTML list.

        But one question, are you using a commercial FTP program,
        or FTP.exe that comes with windows?

        If it is the FTP that comes with Windows, see the NoteTab page
        on my site (see my sigline), I have an outline of the commands for FTP.

        Also version 4.8 & higher of NoteTab have a clip to allow easy use of
        Window's FTP.exe.

        HTH,

        Larry Hamilton, Jr.
        lm_hamilton@...
        http://notlimah.tripod.com/
        http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/

        At 12:57 PM 10/31/2000 +0000, you wrote:
        >1.FTP doesn't see all my files written in NT and saved in the same
        >folder. Why?
        >2. Clicking on View>source tells me that FTP can't find Notepad, even
        >though I have made NT replace it. Why does this happen?
        >3. NT constantly tells me upon opening it that several files are not
        >fully loaded and to use the binary filter next time. Just how is this
        >done?
        >4.How do I stop all these messages from opening each time I want to
        >use NT?
        >5. Why aren't my gif images being displayed in the browser? I'm
        >always getting a small white box with a red x in it.The HTML code is
        >correct.Many thanks.
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
          Hi MCMAIER and Larry,

          At 13:57 2000-10-31, MC wrote:
          >1.FTP doesn't see all my files written in NT and saved in the same
          >folder. Why?
          >2. Clicking on View>source tells me that FTP can't find Notepad, even
          >though I have made NT replace it. Why does this happen?

          I'm not sure what application FTP is referring to. View>source indicates
          that it's not a FTP program but a browser? Please tell.

          >3. NT constantly tells me upon opening it that several files are not
          >fully loaded and to use the binary filter next time. Just how is this
          >done?

          From Help:
          NoteTab does not load the whole file!

          The file probably contains one or more null characters. By default, NoteTab
          treats the first null character it encounters as the end of the text. To
          change this behavior, you can set the "Filter Binary Codes" option which
          you will find on the Files tab in the Options dialog box. When this option
          is set, any null character NoteTab encounters when loading a file is
          converted to the substitute character (also defined in the Options dialog
          box). You will be able to load the full content of any file when this
          feature is enabled.

          But you should be very careful opening binary files in a texteditor. If you
          "do" something you shouldn't the file can be ruined.

          >4.How do I stop all these messages from opening each time I want to
          >use NT?

          Sorry, what messages?

          >5. Why aren't my gif images being displayed in the browser? I'm
          >always getting a small white box with a red x in it.The HTML code is
          >correct.Many thanks.

          If you get the box with an x I bet you all Bill Gates' $$$ that the html
          code or the path to the image is not correct. If you subscribe to the HTML
          list Larry mentioned and post a sample of the code there someone will help
          you. Please do. We could use some more people over there :)
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...

          Soon all of US (=Jody <g>) will be awake and you will have a more complete
          answer. Hang in there.

          Bye,
          Lotta
        • C/M Maier
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
              Hi MCMAIER,

              >1.FTP doesn't see all my files written in NT and saved in the same
              >folder. Why?

              I don't know about NT, but look in whatever the same for Options
              (W95) or Folder Options (W98) and check/unchecked everything so
              that you are configured to see everything in Windows Explorer.
              Take files out of Hidden as mentioned if they are in that state.
              They are dulled in W98 and you can change the attribute by right
              clicking over the file and choosing Properties.

              >2. Clicking on View>source tells me that FTP can't find Notepad,
              >even though I have made NT replace it. Why does this happen?

              Set WS_FTP up in Options for the html, etc extensions to be
              opened with NoteTab. Set Text Viewer as NoteTab - full path in
              both cases. I have no idea why WS-FTP would be reported when
              View | Source in a browser is clicked on if that is what you are
              referring to.

              >3. NT constantly tells me upon opening it that several files are
              >not fully loaded and to use the binary filter next time. Just how
              >is this done?

              Don't open binary files in NoteTab. <g> Such as: .gif, .jpg, .zip.

              >4.How do I stop all these messages from opening each time I want
              >to use NT?

              Perhaps you mean NoteTab (NTB). Hmmm? Maybe you are not on
              windows NT, but you are calling NoteTab "NT"? Anyway, if you are
              talking about NoteTab, close those files before exiting and they
              will not open up again when your start NTB. :) See the Option
              "Reload Open Documents" under the General tab. Click Help while
              you are there.

              >5. Why aren't my gif images being displayed in the browser? I'm
              >always getting a small white box with a red x in it.The HTML code is
              >correct.Many thanks.

              Your path to them is not correct. Please sign up for the NoteTab
              & HTML list as Lotta suggested and for the Off-Topic list for you
              FTP questions, Clips list for your clips questions... :)

              Only on third cup of coffee Lotta, be patient while it has time
              to kick in. ;)

              To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from any of the following
              Mailing Lists send an empty post to the appropriate list(s)
              using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

              Subscribe
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
              The NoteTab Basic List............ NoteTab-Subscribe@...
              The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              The NoteTab ClipsClass List....... ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@...
              The NoteTab HTML List............. ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...
              The NoteTab Beta List............. ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@...
              The NoteTab Off-Topic List........ ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
              NoteTab Announcements List........ ntb-announcements-Subscribe@...
              The Album Express List............ Album-Express-Subscribe@...
              The Mailbag Assistant List........ MailBag-Subscribe@...
              The Fookes Software Beta List..... fs-NextRelease-Subscribe@...

              UnSubscribe
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
              The NoteTab Basic List............ NoteTab-UnSubscribe@...

              Happy Tab'n, Clip'n, Edit'n, Test'n, &...
              Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23
              http://www.sureword.com/notetab
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
                Hi,

                I'm not the best person to answer this, but until the troops arrive we can
                have a go.

                > ( Here, I'm
                >trying to read the code of the page by clicking on View>Source, and I get
                >the message "cannot find the file "notepad"or one of its components). Make
                >sure the path and filename are correct & that all required libraries are
                >available." What is really strange is that (1) Notepad is not in
                >Programs>Accessories where it should be. I found it in another location, and
                >dragged it in the accessories folder, but it never shows up there from the
                >Start menu. I always have to dig it out to open it. (2) I made NoteTab
                >replace Notetab. Is that the problem? Notepad still works.>

                I have Notepad in the windows directory. Maybe this is the problem? I'm
                running win95. Don't know if Notepad is placed elsewhere with other OS, but
                don't think so.
                I don't (may the Swiss gods forgive me) use this option since I want to
                keep Notepad for view|source. But if I remember correctly Notetab performs
                this trick by replacing A) renaming notepad.exe to Notepad.exe.ms (still in
                the windows directory). Then it B) dumps a dummie/fake called notepad.exe
                in your windows directory. When something calls notepad.exe it gets this
                dummie that gets Notetab (something in that line). So, this operation will
                replace notepad whatever way you try to start it.
                Probably your moving files have disturbed things. Try to restore
                everything. Help | Restore MS Notepad. If it doesn't work find notepad.exe,
                make sure it really is the right one and place it in windows and start all
                over with Help|Replace MS Notepad

                >( OK. I found this under View and checked off binary files. Now I get
                >"Warning: "C:\Windows \name of file\maybe a binary file.695 nontext
                >characters have been converted to '.'<Alt+0183." What is this doing? I
                >understand you don't see images in text editors, but something is wrong if
                >you can't get the darn code to do it's job in the browser! I thought
                >NoteTab was so easy for anybody to use<g>

                What kind of documents are you trying to open? Notetab handles pure text.
                That is .txt, .html and then some. But NOT binary files like images or Word
                documents.

                When it comes to not seeing your images in the browser I still bet you the
                code is not correct. :)

                Hope this get you started anyway.

                Lotta
              • Stephanie
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
                  Hi,
                  I might have a clue about your .gif images not being displayed. I
                  had that problem too (except with the .jpg) and 99% of the people
                  told me my HTML was not correct. Well, my HTML was correct and it
                  turned out that my graphics viewer was interfering with the mime
                  types used by the browser to display images. Try this:

                  1. If you have an external image viewer, unassociate it with gif
                  images.
                  2. Open Explorer and select view--options
                  3. Click the tab for File Types
                  4. If GIF is on the list, make sure the mime type says: image/gif
                  and that the default extention is .gif. If gif is NOT on the list
                  just create one --make sure the mime type is: image/gif and the
                  default extention is .gif

                  I still come across this problem every once in a while because I
                  won't give up my external graphics viewer...but at least I know how
                  to fix it now.

                  (Hey Lotta, how much do you want to bet that MCMAIER DOESN'T have the
                  path to the images wrong? I'll take that bet.)

                  -Stephanie

                  --- In notetab@egroups.com, MCMAIER@p... wrote:
                  > 1.FTP doesn't see all my files written in NT and saved in the same
                  > folder. Why?
                  > 2. Clicking on View>source tells me that FTP can't find Notepad,
                  even
                  > though I have made NT replace it. Why does this happen?
                  > 3. NT constantly tells me upon opening it that several files are
                  not
                  > fully loaded and to use the binary filter next time. Just how is
                  this
                  > done?
                  > 4.How do I stop all these messages from opening each time I want to
                  > use NT?
                  > 5. Why aren't my gif images being displayed in the browser? I'm
                  > always getting a small white box with a red x in it.The HTML code
                  is
                  > correct.Many thanks.
                • C/M Maier
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
                    Dear Jody <sigh> Thanks for the input. I did have some success :-) First,
                    you are right--I was using NT to represent NoteTab, but will avoid that from
                    now on. Also, I have signed up for more courses in HTML and will find the
                    Off-Topic list for FTP. See comments below.
                    >1.FTP doesn't see all my files written in NT and saved in the same
                    >folder. Why?

                    I don't know about NT, but look in whatever the same for Options
                    (W95) or Folder Options (W98) and check/unchecked everything so
                    that you are configured to see everything in Windows Explorer.
                    Take files out of Hidden as mentioned if they are in that state.
                    They are dulled in W98 and you can change the attribute by right
                    clicking over the file and choosing Properties.( I checked this and "show
                    all files was checked)
                    >2. Clicking on View>source tells me that FTP can't find Notepad,
                    >even though I have made NT replace it. Why does this happen?

                    Set WS_FTP up in Options for the html, etc extensions to be
                    opened with NoteTab. Set Text Viewer as NoteTab - full path in
                    both cases. I have no idea why WS-FTP would be reported when
                    View | Source in a browser is clicked on if that is what you are
                    referring to.( I found Extensions in FTP in "ASCII Filenames and Extension
                    dialogue box. There are 2 open rectangles there. Next to the top one is
                    "Add" "Delete". The bottom one has .TXT in it. Do I "Set text viewer as NTB
                    on the top line here, like: C:\\Windows\Desktop\NoteTab Light ?????)
                    >3. NT constantly tells me upon opening it that several files are
                    >not fully loaded and to use the binary filter next time. Just how
                    >is this done?

                    Don't open binary files in NoteTab. <g> Such as: .gif, .jpg, .zip.(Tried it
                    and changed it right back)

                    >4.How do I stop all these messages from opening each time I want
                    >to use NT?

                    Perhaps you mean NoteTab (NTB). Hmmm? Maybe you are not on
                    windows NT, but you are calling NoteTab "NT"? Anyway, if you are
                    talking about NoteTab, close those files before exiting and they
                    will not open up again when your start NTB. :) See the Option
                    "Reload Open Documents" under the General tab. Click Help while
                    you are there.(Did this--I didn't realize that you could "close" the
                    document from File! I assumed it closed when you did, and wondered why all
                    those files kept coming back. I no longer have those dumb binary messary in
                    my face. For this I endlessly thank you!

                    >5. Why aren't my gif images being displayed in the browser? I'm
                    >always getting a small white box with a red x in it.The HTML code is
                    >correct.Many thanks.

                    Your path to them is not correct.(I hope Stephanie's idea works for me too.)
                    Please sign up for the NoteTab
                    & HTML list as Lotta suggested and for the Off-Topic list for you
                    FTP questions, Clips list for your clips questions... :)

                    Only on third cup of coffee Lotta, be patient while it has time
                    to kick in. ;) (Wish I could offer you a whole pot . Many thanks, again,
                    Jody)

[...]

                  • Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
                      Hi Stephanie,

                      The last time I had this problem, I had moved the image with 'File Manager'
                      not Explorer. It changed the first letter of the file name to a Capital.
                      While viewing with File Manager, it shows everything as small letters. That
                      took me almost an hour to chase down.

                      Lloyd
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      >Hi,
                      >I might have a clue about your .gif images not being displayed. I
                      >had that problem too (except with the .jpg) and 99% of the people
                      >told me my HTML was not correct. Well, my HTML was correct and it
                      >turned out that my graphics viewer was interfering with the mime
                      >types used by the browser to display images. Try this:

                      Lloyd

                      http://lloyd2.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
                    • Stephanie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
                        Hi,
                        Isn't Win Explorer and File Manager the same thing? Anyway, I never
                        had a problem with caps. Nothing I have seen indicates any case
                        sensitivity regarding image extentions. They all show up fine,
                        regardless.

                        -Stephanie

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1 6:19 AM
                          Hi Stephanie,

                          If you look in your windows directory you will find Explorer.exe and
                          winfile.exe. They are similar programs but not the same. File Manager was
                          the one I used when I first went into windows from DOS. Old habits die
                          hard. My primary browser is Netscape. It is case sensitive in the name. I
                          don't know about in the extensions because I never tried to change the .gif
                          to .Gif. I had the problem there so I never went to IE to see if it too had
                          the problem. I had to find the cure. My browser would not find Joe.gif when
                          ask for joe.gif. Or at least let me say, when I corrected the case, the
                          image was there.

                          Lloyd
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          >Hi,
                          >Isn't Win Explorer and File Manager the same thing? Anyway, I never
                          >had a problem with caps. Nothing I have seen indicates any case
                          >sensitivity regarding image extentions. They all show up fine,
                          >regardless.
                          >
                          >-Stephanie

                          Lloyd

                          http://lloyd2.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
                        • Greg Chapman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 1 7:26 AM
                            Hi Stephanie,

                            > Isn't Win Explorer and File Manager the same thing?

                            Absolutely not! File Manager is the old 16bit program that shipped with Win3.x.
                            Explorer is the "improved" 32bit version that ships with Win9x and later.
                            (However, WINFILE.EXE the File Manager program is still shipped with Windows -
                            certainly up to Win98SE - and can be installed on a Win9x system.

                            Many people prefer File Manager because of its MDI (Multi-Document Interface).
                            It allows you to have two windows within it each pointing at a different
                            disk/directory. This can make copying/moving files around much easier than
                            with multiple copies of Explorer/My Computer. It's only disadvantage is that
                            being 16bit it doesn't handle long file names. This can lead to problems later
                            when looking at files in My Computer/Explorer as these newer programs can be set
                            up to alter the apparent capitalisation of the file names and so cause
                            confusion.

                            Greg