Re[3]: [NTB] UI Enhancement?

  • John R. Porter
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2000
      Jean-Christophe:

      Thank you for your support.

      Also, the URL pointer lead to some interesting stuff.

      However!

      I most emphatically DO NOT want my window focus to follow my mouse.
      That "feature" was one of the things I most disliked the few times I've worked
      at a x-windows terminal.

      (Additionally, FWIW, I'm running NT, not Win95)

      Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat@...> on 10/11/2000 10:32:13 am

      Please respond to notetab@egroups.com

      To: "John R. Porter" <notetab@egroups.com>
      cc: (bcc: John R. Porter/Telcordia)
      Subject: Re[2]: [NTB] UI Enhancement?

      Salut John,

      Le Wednesday, October 11, 2000
      ----------

      Ă  3:10:34 PM, tu me disais:

      >>> I work with several different windows open all at once. (Doesn't everybody?)
      JRP> My
      >>> reference to the user interface refers to placement of the cursor in the
      JRP> NoteTab
      >>> window as I click back and forth between windows. Specifically, rather than
      >>> just moving the window focus I when I click to the NoteTab window I have
      JRP> also,
      >>
      >>Why not just click on the tab at top?
      >>
      JRP> Very simply put... it is not always visible. Additionally, why should I
      have to
      JRP> be
      JRP> *that* precise moving between windows?
      >>
      >>> at the same time, set the cursor position "near" where I clicked the NoteTab
      >>> window to change focus. (Twisty statement, but I hope you understand.)
      >>>
      >>> Other applications I use have a two-phase focus. The first click moves
      focus
      >>> the window without moving the window's cursor position. Then, if the cursor
      >>> needs/wants to be moved I can click in the window a second time to position
      JRP> the
      >>> cursor as necessary.

      I agree with your wish, I have the same problem : when I click in the
      window to give it the focus back, I don't want the cursor to move to
      where I clicked.

      Normal ways are : Alt-TAB, click in TaskBar, etc.

      But have you tried

      Microsoft's XMouse ?
      http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95pwrtoysset/default.asp

      It could be what you're looking for...
      Jean-Christophe Boggio
      cat@...
      Independant Consultant and Developer
      Delphi, Linux, Oracle, Perl

    • Jean-Christophe Boggio
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2000
        Salut John,

        JRP> I most emphatically DO NOT want my window focus to follow my mouse.
        JRP> That "feature" was one of the things I most disliked the few times I've worked
        JRP> at a x-windows terminal.

        JRP> (Additionally, FWIW, I'm running NT, not Win95)

        What I meant was that what you are looking for is more at an OS level
        rather than at application level. You would want the same behaviour with
        all the programs you use I guess ?