Re: [NTB] Small text

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
      Hi Sauron, Mark, and Jody,

      At 06:44 PM 10/02/2000 -0500, Jody wrote:
      >Hi Sauron,
      >
      >>I would really like to print with a smaller font. How can I get
      >>smaller than 8 that it lists?
      >
      >It appears you are using NoteTab Pro. If that is the case I can
      >suggest you download NoteTab Standard/Light and print from it
      >using a font like MS Serif that will go down to a 6. Instead of
      >using Light though you could use a Freeware print utility that
      >has a number of options in it including Print Preview and
      >multiple pages on one page. Eric made a small Library for it.
      >The download for TxtPrint10 is in the Library and below.

      It appears that everybody is overlooking a particular feature of the print
      dialog. When you select print from the File menu or press Ctrl+P and then
      you answer no so that it print will only print the current topic, you get
      the print dialog with four tabs on it, Print, Margin, Font, and Other. If
      you select Font you will see a check box to use the current document font.
      If you make sure that this box is unchecked and then click on the font
      button to the left of it, you will see a list of windows fonts. It appears
      to be a complete list of all of them. I even have a font called "small
      fonts" which will print as small as 1 and even an 8 looks small compared to
      "Courier New". NoteTab Pro will only display fixed width fonts but through
      this dialog, it seems that it will print in any font installed on your
      system, including those fonts supported by NoteTab Standard/Light. In a
      word, it will not display variable width fonts in an open document that you
      are viewing or editing but through this dialog it will print out in the
      variable width fonts. I thought that I should point that out to you.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
        Hi Larry,

        >> NoteTab Pro will only display fixed width fonts but through
        >> this dialog, it seems that it will print in any font installed
        >> on your system...

        I remembered that printing in variable width fonts is supported
        in Pro a bit too late. <g> It is real strange after being away
        for a week on how much I forgot or just out of the swing in
        answering eMail I am. Perhaps I will feel better tomorrow after
        the antibiotics kick in some more. Thanks for the reminder!
        TxtPrint is definitely worth the download though.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • DA
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
          Hi All,

          I just tried this on 4.82 and it works fine with mono spaced andale font at 6
          points by typing the 6 into the font size box. Some printers might have
          problems with this size. I am using a Lexmark laser with an HP emulation
          driver. I think most lasers and ink jets will do it ok.

          DA

          rainmark@... wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I'm not sure if this will work in NoteTab, but in some
          > programs, I have simply typed in the smaller size into
          > box above the list of sizes on the font dialog. On the
          > File menu, go to Print... and then on the Font tab, if
          > you click the Font button, you'll see where to do this.
          > Mark
          > > I would really like to print with a smaller font. How can I get smaller
          > > than 8 that it lists?

        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
            Hi Mark,

            At 12:08 AM 10/03/2000 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hi,
            >I'm not sure if this will work in NoteTab, but in some
            >programs, I have simply typed in the smaller size into
            >box above the list of sizes on the font dialog. On the
            >File menu, go to Print... and then on the Font tab, if
            >you click the Font button, you'll see where to do this.
            >Mark

            It rather amuses me sometimes to realize how lazy we can get. I am just a
            guilty of this as you are - who knows, maybe even more so ;-) It just
            occurred to me to try it and it is rediculously easy to try. I used
            "Courier New" and I went to the menu bar and selected Document|Font|Change
            Font and then in the box labeled "Size", it had a 10 and I highlighted it
            and typed in 4. The font decreased until it was practlcally unreadabel to
            these bad eyes of mine. I went back to check it again and it was still set
            to 4 as I had left it. I changed it back to 10 and everything was restored.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
          • Sauron
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
              Thank you everyone... Mark, Jody, Larry!!
            • David Ash
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                Larry ... I believe reducing the size in this way works only with
                'scalable' fonts (though that is most fonts these days). If you try it
                with a system font such as MS Sans Serif or the old Courier, you can
                type in whatever small number you like in the size box but you'll not
                get any reduction in the font itself once it has reached its inbuilt
                minimum.

                You mention 'Small Fonts'. I find that handy in the Headings list of a
                crowded Outline document (which is of course another area where NoteTab
                Pro supports the full range of fonts). It's also useful in the grid of
                Mailbag Assistant (allows you to see all the columns), but that's
                another list.

                D+

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Hi Sauron,

                  >Thank you everyone... Mark, Jody, Larry!!

                  Thanks everybody and David I think explained why I am not always
                  able to use that method which I basically only use in image
                  editors. ;) I still suggest you try out Eric's TxtPrint Library
                  for printing though - you can even print a selection with it.

                  http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/txtprint.zip
                  http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4orjan/TxtPrint/index.html

                • rainmark@att.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                    Hi Larry,
                    Like it says in the manual that came with the computer,
                    there's more than one way to do anything in Windows.
                    Your method seems to be the quickest and easiest. I
                    didn't try printing it, but I'm assuming that it would
                    print OK in whatever font you changed the document to
                    using that method.
                    Thanks,
                    Mark

                  • rainmark@att.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                      Hi Jody and all,
                      I second the motion on the TextPrint utility. It's real
                      handy, opens up from NoteTab and has a gob of options. I
                      added two buttons on my Utilities button bar -
                      Print/preview document and Print/priview selection.

                      When it rains it pours, huh Jody? Hope you feel better
                      soon.
                      Mark