Re: [NTB] Small text

  • rainmark@att.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
      Hi,
      I'm not sure if this will work in NoteTab, but in some
      programs, I have simply typed in the smaller size into
      box above the list of sizes on the font dialog. On the
      File menu, go to Print... and then on the Font tab, if
      you click the Font button, you'll see where to do this.
      Mark
      > I would really like to print with a smaller font. How can I get smaller
      > than 8 that it lists?

    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
        Hi Sauron, Mark, and Jody,

        At 06:44 PM 10/02/2000 -0500, Jody wrote:
        >Hi Sauron,
        >
        >>I would really like to print with a smaller font. How can I get
        >>smaller than 8 that it lists?
        >
        >It appears you are using NoteTab Pro. If that is the case I can
        >suggest you download NoteTab Standard/Light and print from it
        >using a font like MS Serif that will go down to a 6. Instead of
        >using Light though you could use a Freeware print utility that
        >has a number of options in it including Print Preview and
        >multiple pages on one page. Eric made a small Library for it.
        >The download for TxtPrint10 is in the Library and below.

        It appears that everybody is overlooking a particular feature of the print
        dialog. When you select print from the File menu or press Ctrl+P and then
        you answer no so that it print will only print the current topic, you get
        the print dialog with four tabs on it, Print, Margin, Font, and Other. If
        you select Font you will see a check box to use the current document font.
        If you make sure that this box is unchecked and then click on the font
        button to the left of it, you will see a list of windows fonts. It appears
        to be a complete list of all of them. I even have a font called "small
        fonts" which will print as small as 1 and even an 8 looks small compared to
        "Courier New". NoteTab Pro will only display fixed width fonts but through
        this dialog, it seems that it will print in any font installed on your
        system, including those fonts supported by NoteTab Standard/Light. In a
        word, it will not display variable width fonts in an open document that you
        are viewing or editing but through this dialog it will print out in the
        variable width fonts. I thought that I should point that out to you.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
          Hi Larry,

          >> NoteTab Pro will only display fixed width fonts but through
          >> this dialog, it seems that it will print in any font installed
          >> on your system...

          I remembered that printing in variable width fonts is supported
          in Pro a bit too late. <g> It is real strange after being away
          for a week on how much I forgot or just out of the swing in
          answering eMail I am. Perhaps I will feel better tomorrow after
          the antibiotics kick in some more. Thanks for the reminder!
          TxtPrint is definitely worth the download though.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • DA
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
            Hi All,

            I just tried this on 4.82 and it works fine with mono spaced andale font at 6
            points by typing the 6 into the font size box. Some printers might have
            problems with this size. I am using a Lexmark laser with an HP emulation
            driver. I think most lasers and ink jets will do it ok.

            DA

            rainmark@... wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I'm not sure if this will work in NoteTab, but in some
            > programs, I have simply typed in the smaller size into
            > box above the list of sizes on the font dialog. On the
            > File menu, go to Print... and then on the Font tab, if
            > you click the Font button, you'll see where to do this.
            > Mark
            > > I would really like to print with a smaller font. How can I get smaller
            > > than 8 that it lists?

          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
              Hi Mark,

              At 12:08 AM 10/03/2000 +0000, you wrote:
              >Hi,
              >I'm not sure if this will work in NoteTab, but in some
              >programs, I have simply typed in the smaller size into
              >box above the list of sizes on the font dialog. On the
              >File menu, go to Print... and then on the Font tab, if
              >you click the Font button, you'll see where to do this.
              >Mark

              It rather amuses me sometimes to realize how lazy we can get. I am just a
              guilty of this as you are - who knows, maybe even more so ;-) It just
              occurred to me to try it and it is rediculously easy to try. I used
              "Courier New" and I went to the menu bar and selected Document|Font|Change
              Font and then in the box labeled "Size", it had a 10 and I highlighted it
              and typed in 4. The font decreased until it was practlcally unreadabel to
              these bad eyes of mine. I went back to check it again and it was still set
              to 4 as I had left it. I changed it back to 10 and everything was restored.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • Sauron
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                Thank you everyone... Mark, Jody, Larry!!
              • David Ash
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Larry ... I believe reducing the size in this way works only with
                  'scalable' fonts (though that is most fonts these days). If you try it
                  with a system font such as MS Sans Serif or the old Courier, you can
                  type in whatever small number you like in the size box but you'll not
                  get any reduction in the font itself once it has reached its inbuilt
                  minimum.

                  You mention 'Small Fonts'. I find that handy in the Headings list of a
                  crowded Outline document (which is of course another area where NoteTab
                  Pro supports the full range of fonts). It's also useful in the grid of
                  Mailbag Assistant (allows you to see all the columns), but that's
                  another list.

                  D+

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                    Hi Sauron,

                    >Thank you everyone... Mark, Jody, Larry!!

                    Thanks everybody and David I think explained why I am not always
                    able to use that method which I basically only use in image
                    editors. ;) I still suggest you try out Eric's TxtPrint Library
                    for printing though - you can even print a selection with it.

                    http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/txtprint.zip
                    http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4orjan/TxtPrint/index.html

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                      Hi Larry,
                      Like it says in the manual that came with the computer,
                      there's more than one way to do anything in Windows.
                      Your method seems to be the quickest and easiest. I
                      didn't try printing it, but I'm assuming that it would
                      print OK in whatever font you changed the document to
                      using that method.
                      Thanks,
                      Mark

                    • rainmark@att.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                        Hi Jody and all,
                        I second the motion on the TextPrint utility. It's real
                        handy, opens up from NoteTab and has a gob of options. I
                        added two buttons on my Utilities button bar -
                        Print/preview document and Print/priview selection.

                        When it rains it pours, huh Jody? Hope you feel better
                        soon.
                        Mark