Re: [NTB] Re:newbie ?'s answers

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2000
      Hi Linda,

      At 04:00 PM 09/29/2000 -0000, you wrote:
      >Unfortunately, I was totally lost with George and Adrian's messages.
      >The terminology and concepts you were explaining were beyond my
      >comprehension for now. I think part of my problem is that I do not
      >understand what notetab is really used for and what are its
      >funtions. At the moment I am only using it to type in practice web
      >pages for an online class because it is required.

      I think that George and Adrian were assuming that you are not as newbie as
      you say your are. I am not making such an assumption.

      What is NoteTab for?

      NoteTab is NOT a word processor as MS-Word is or WordPad is. These
      programs place special control characters into the file along with the text
      to store formatting information and information about such things as fonts,
      font sizes, underscoring, italicizing, bold, etc. When you load these
      files with their word processor, they are correctly displayed but if you
      use something like a plain text viewer, you will see text intermingled with
      odd characters that look like so much garbage.

      NoteTab is a plain ASCII text editor like Notepad and is advertised as a
      Notepad replacement. But it can do so much more than any ordinary ASCII
      text editor. I am sorry but there are just too many features to NoteTab to
      list them all in an email like this but I will list just a few.

      Built in Dictionary and Thesaurus
      Ability to use different tab formats (real tabs, fixed tabs, and smart tabs)
      Ability to format text by:
      Splitting long lines into shorter lines with a hard break return at the end
      of each.
      Joining short lines into longer lines by removing hard breaks.
      Aligning text (Left, Center, Right, and Justify)
      Changing text case (Lower case, Upper Case, Invert Case, Capitalize, and
      Sentence).

      There is a built in ability to do both simple and complex math calculations
      right inside the document you are working on.

      There is a section of the Menu bar Modify drop down menu that Adrian was
      talking about that will allow you to do numberous things with raw HTML
      documents.

      If you have a file which is just plain text with no HTML tags at all, try
      this:

      On the menu bar select Modify|Document to HTML|With Paragraph Tags. What
      you should see is a new unsaved document with the same name as your
      Noname.txt document but it will be called Noname.htm. All of the required
      HTML tags will be inserted into this new document and they will be
      highlighted. If you now press F8 or click the View in Browser button, your
      browser should come up and display this text as a regular web page. This
      is what Adrian was talking about in his post. Now you can edit this new
      document and enter your links to other pages or files or images or any
      other formatting that you require.

      The clip language:

      This is well beyond you right now but that is also what Adrian was talking
      about when he was speaking of the HTML clipbook. It is a file that
      contains code recognized by NoteTab that allows you to easily edit your
      HTML documents, but you have to learn to use it first and that requires you
      to experiment with the clipbook.

      The simplest clip of all is just a clip that contains plain text that you
      type into it. When you click or double click on the clip in the clipbook
      window, the text in the clip is simply pasted into your currently open
      document just like a rubber stamp. The clip language gets very much more
      complicated from there but it is worth learning because of all of the
      things you are able to do once you know it.

      You can experiment with this in the clipbook by pressing F4 which will open
      the clipbook window or you can select a library from the library buttons at
      the bottom of NoteTab's application window. Example: Select Acronyms or
      Smilies and open a new document. You will have the clipbook open on the
      left with a list of clips below the clipbook name and on the right will be
      your new blank document. Double click on one of the clip names in the
      clipbook panel on the left and see what is entered into your new document
      on the right. Now you just have to experiment and learn from the samles
      how clips work. You should have a library buttton bar at the bottom of
      NoteTab's application window. If you do not see one, go to the menu bar
      and select View|Libraries Bar and that will put it there.

      There are many many other uses for NoteTab by others who use plain text
      similar to HTML documents for writing script type files for other compilers
      such a Javascript, Gawk, Perl, Php, and MS-DOS batch files just to name a few.

      You are not required to learn everything there is to know about this
      program to use it to great benefit. If that was true, I would dump it
      immediately because much of the capability of this program is beyond me.
      But as it is, I enjoy learning and using what I can and at a price of
      $20.00 I consider it a bargain. (Actually, I was lucky enough to get in on
      this a couple of years ago for $10.00 so it is a bigger bargain for me.)

      I hope that this helps.

      Larry
      larryt@...