Re: [NTB] How do you edit "Quick Open" URL pulldown menu?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2000
      Hi mcj59,

      At 08:59 PM 09/28/2000 -0000, you wrote:
      > When you have "Quick Open Links" checked in the "Tools" menu, you
      >can activate a menu box for typing in URLS by double-clicking in a
      >document. Any URLS you type get saved in a pull-down menu and you can
      >of course return to them in the future. But my question is, can you
      >edit out URLs from that menu, in order to keep it from getting too
      >large? Thanks for any help.

      As in a number of these list type things in NoteTab, Eric has set a limit
      of 20 items. As you use this feature and reuse URLs, the ones you use will
      migrate to the top of the list. As you add new URLs, the ones at the
      bottom/end will get dropped because of the limit. You can edit this in the
      ini file by going to the very bottom and editing the key:

      [UrlList]
      URLCount=20

      Removing or changing the items below URLCount= and changing URLCount= to
      match the number of items you have (as long as it is not more than 20).
      Save the ini file with an exclamation point (!) preceeding the name and
      then shut NoteTab down and restart it and the change you made will take
      effect.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Sauron
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2000
        > At 08:59 PM 09/28/2000 -0000, you wrote:
        > > When you have "Quick Open Links" checked in the "Tools" menu, you
        > >can activate a menu box for typing in URLS by double-clicking in a
        > >document. Any URLS you type get saved in a pull-down menu and you can
        > >of course return to them in the future. But my question is, can you
        > >edit out URLs from that menu, in order to keep it from getting too
        > >large? Thanks for any help.
        >
        > As in a number of these list type things in NoteTab, Eric has set a limit
        > of 20 items. As you use this feature and reuse URLs, the ones you use
        will
        > migrate to the top of the list. As you add new URLs, the ones at the
        > bottom/end will get dropped because of the limit. You can edit this in
        the
        > ini file by going to the very bottom and editing the key:
        >
        > [UrlList]
        > URLCount=20
        >
        > Removing or changing the items below URLCount= and changing URLCount= to
        > match the number of items you have (as long as it is not more than 20).

        Are you saying it must never be more than 20? Or can be however many you
        want?
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2000
          Hi Sauron,

          At 09:24 PM 09/29/2000 -0230, you wrote:

          >> Removing or changing the items below URLCount= and changing URLCount= to
          >> match the number of items you have (as long as it is not more than 20).
          >
          >Are you saying it must never be more than 20? Or can be however many you
          >want?

          It can be any number you want but the program will reset it to 20 and
          ignore the rest and when you close and restart NoteTab and look at the list
          again, you will only find the top 20 that you had on the list. It does not
          damage NoteTab but the program will just not maintain a list of more than
          20 items.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            On September 28, 2000 5:20 PM Larry wrote:
            >You can edit this in the ini file by going to the very bottom and ...
            >
            >Save the ini file with an exclamation point (!) preceeding the name and
            then
            >shut NoteTab down and restart it and the change you made will take effect.

            What does adding the exclamation point in front of the ini file and saving
            it do? Is a new ini file created by NoteTab? I don't need to do this now but
            will keep a note for future reference.

            Regards,
            Bill
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2000
              Hi Bill,

              At 07:42 PM 09/30/2000 -0400, you wrote:

              >Hi Larry,
              >
              >On September 28, 2000 5:20 PM Larry wrote:
              >>You can edit this in the ini file by going to the very bottom and ...
              >>
              >>Save the ini file with an exclamation point (!) preceeding the name and
              >then
              >>shut NoteTab down and restart it and the change you made will take effect.
              >
              >What does adding the exclamation point in front of the ini file and saving
              >it do? Is a new ini file created by NoteTab? I don't need to do this now but
              >will keep a note for future reference.

              NoteTab does not routinely update the ini file everytime you make a change
              in its settings. The settings are stored in RAM memory while the program
              is running and any changes that you make (word wrap for example) are stored
              there. When you shut the program down it overwrites the ini or creates one
              if none exists with the current settings that it has in RAM memory.

              When NoteTab is started, it first checks to see if there is an ini file
              with the exclamation point prefix on it. If it finds one, it loads the RAM
              settings from that file and then deletes it. If it does not find one then
              it looks for the regular ini file that does not have the exclamation point
              prefix and uses the settings from it but does not delete that one. If it
              cannot find any ini file, then it uses built in default settings and you
              see what you get when you first install a fresh copy of the program.

              There are several clip commands that do allow a clip to update and reload
              settings from the ini file as well as store permanent variable information
              created by the user there. These commands are limited though in that a
              number of settings cannot be changed this way - the main toolbar for
              example. So the only way to insure certain ini changes is to follow the
              directions that I gave you about manually editing the ini, saving it with
              an exclamation point prefix and shutting down and restarting NoteTab.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2000
                Hi Bill,

                I wish to make a correction to my previous post. I experimented with
                NoteTab Pro and I found that it does not delete the !Notepro.ini file when
                it starts up. It overwrites the Notepro.ini by renaming the !Notepro.ini
                file to Notepro.ini while updating its settings from that file.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...