Re: [NTB] Newbie with questions

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2000
      Hi Linda,

      At 06:45 PM 09/28/2000 -0000, you wrote:
      >Hi, I am new with this. I can use Word fairly well, send and receive
      >e-mail, and surf the web. I real good at losing files, terrible at
      >finding them. I downloaded Notetab light as a text editor for an
      >online course I am taking-Creating Web Pages. I have no problem
      >writing the HTML language on the "NO name" blank page, but other than
      >new file, open file, and print, I am at a loss.
      >
      >A couple of questions.
      >Is there some type of tutorial out there for Notetab for a computer
      >illiterate person like myself?

      Not that I know of at this time. One of our list members has a tutorial on
      clip programming. I have just tried her site and I did get a response but
      it is a very slow site. You might want to do it while you are doing your
      laundry or cooking dinner or something like that ;-)

      The websit is:

      http://notetab.kay.net

      If you have problems you might try to contact the site owner, Kay Roath at:

      Kay Roath <kayr@...>

      The best solution is to play with the program a little and try things and
      see what they do. You can also do what you are doing and post questions to
      this list about the things that you cannot figure out. There are many
      helpful people on these lists and someone will almost certainly provide
      answers when possible.

      >When you click on Save As, it asks you for "file type". What exactly
      >do those choices mean and how do you know which one to pick. I
      >searched help, but could not find anything. My assignments have me
      >type a web page and then view it on Internet Explorer of Netscape.

      The file type is simply a method for the save dialog to limit the display
      of currently existing files being shown to you to the type you select. It
      makes it easier if you are replacing an existing file. You can see it in
      the dialog, click on it to select it and then save your file. You will get
      a message asking you if you want to replace an existing file. I prefer to
      leave this as *.* which is all files because normally I do not replace
      existing files.

      You should go to the on line help by going to the menu bar and selecting
      Help|Help Topics. When the dialog appears click on the "Contents" tab if
      it is not already selected. You will see a dialog on that page and the
      third item is How To.. Double click on this item and it will open to
      display another topic list. Near the bottom you will see "Use Templates".
      Select this item and you can read about creating and using templates to
      make specialized new documents that have different extensions and default
      names than the Noname01.txt that you are using. I would recommend the
      existing HTML template and you should probably learn how to use it but for
      now you should just create a simple one for yourself with an .htm extension.

      When you open a new document with an .htm extension like this, NoteTab will
      automatically see this document as an HTML doc from the beginning and you
      can immediately type in or enter your web page information and it will be
      highlighted and ready to be save as an .htm doc. When you want to check it
      out in your browser, all you have to do is press the F8 function key and
      NoteTab will open your browser and send the page to it so you can see it as
      it will appear in the browser. Make a change to the document and press F8
      again and you will be switched back to your browser and the browser display
      will be updated to show your changes.

      >Lastly, I downloaded the free version of Notetab, and everyday it
      >says I have one less day left. Will I lose everything when I have no
      >days left.

      There are three versions of NoteTab. NoteTab Light is the freeware version
      and it never expires. NoteTab Standard is an upgraded version of NoteTab
      Light with numberous special features that are not found in Light and you
      can try it for 30 days. NoteTab Pro is the best of the three with many
      many features not found in the other two and you can try it free for 30
      days also.

      When you downloaded NoteTab Light, there is a special option you can select
      to try out most of the features of NoteTab Standard. You go to the menu
      bar and select View|Commercial Features and NoteTab Light is then converted
      into a time limited version of NoteTab Standard. When you reach the time
      limit, it should revert to the freeware version of NoteTab Light and the
      warning messages about "days left" should disappear as should the option on
      the drop down menu from the View menu that allows you to select Commercial
      Features. You will not lose everything. You will just lose the used of
      the commercial features. If you are trying NoteTab Pro on the other hand,
      you will not lose any files, but the program will just not run any more.

      I hope that this helps.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2000
        At long last a question I think I can answer!
        See below for responses....
        ---
        Don Passenger
        > Hi, I am new with this. I can use Word fairly well, send and receive
        > e-mail, and surf the web. I real good at losing files, terrible at
        > finding them.
        TRY USING THE FUNCTION UNDER START/FIND AND YOU CAN SEARCH BY FILE NAME OR
        EVEN CONTENT OF A FILE

        I downloaded Notetab light as a text editor for an
        > online course I am taking-Creating Web Pages. I have no problem
        > writing the HTML language on the "NO name" blank page, but other than
        > new file, open file, and print, I am at a loss.

        WHEN YOU SAVE THE FILE SAVE IT AS "FILENAME.HTM" OR "FILENAME.HTML" AND YOU
        MAY NEED TO ACTUALLY INCLUDE THE QUOTES SO IT DOESN'T COME OUT AS
        FILENAME.HTML.TXT

        ONCE SAVED, YOU CAN CLICK ON THE BROWSER ICON IN THE TOP TOOL BAR TO SEE
        YOUR RENDERED PAGE

        > A couple of questions.
        > Is there some type of tutorial out there for Notetab for a computer
        > illiterate person like myself?
        >
        > When you click on Save As, it asks you for "file type". What exactly
        > do those choices mean and how do you know which one to pick.

        YOU CAN SAFELY LEAVE IT ON ALL *.* OR HTML *.HTML OR TEXT *.TXT WITH THE
        QUOTES BEING USED, FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN HTML AS YOUR CHOICE, BUT USING
        HTM OR HTML AS YOUR DOT EXTENSION.

        . I
        > searched help, but could not find anything. My assignments have me
        > type a web page and then view it on Internet Explorer of Netscape.
        >
        > Lastly, I downloaded the free version of Notetab, and everyday it
        > says I have one less day left. Will I lose everything when I have no
        > days left.

        MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT YOU GOT EXTRA FEATURES TO TRY DURING THE TRIAL
        PERIOD WHICH YOU WILL LOOSE AT THE END OF THE TRIAL PERIOD. YOU WILL NOT
        LOSE YOUR HTML FILES YOU WORKED ON. THE PROGRAM IS WORTH THE MONEY, SO
        DON'T HESITATE TO BUY IT IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

        OBVIOUSLY OUR "DONATIONS" TRICKLING IN HELP THE AUTHOR KEEP THIS THE BEST
        TEXT BASED EDITOR/CLIP PROGRAMMING THING ON THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH

        > Thanks for any help.
        >
        > Linda S.
        > Rome,PA

      • Eakin, George
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2000
          <snip>
          WHEN YOU SAVE THE FILE SAVE IT AS "FILENAME.HTM" OR "FILENAME.HTML" AND YOU
          MAY NEED TO ACTUALLY INCLUDE THE QUOTES SO IT DOESN'T COME OUT AS
          FILENAME.HTML.TXT
          </snip>

          I've seen this suggestion a few times on this list - to use quotes around
          the filename so you don't get the .txt extention. I have found, though, that
          if you set up a file filter (menus - View | Options ; tab "File Filters")
          for *.htm and *.html files, this is no longer necessary.

          George
        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2000
            On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:53:21 -0600, "Eakin, George" <George.Eakin@...> wrote:

            >I've seen this suggestion a few times on this list - to use quotes around
            >the filename so you don't get the .txt extention. I have found, though, that
            >if you set up a file filter (menus - View | Options ; tab "File Filters")
            >for *.htm and *.html files, this is no longer necessary.

            This behavior (adding the .txt extension to file names that do have
            a recognizable extension, are not in quotes) can be turned off
            completely, merely by going to the File Filters tab
            (menus - View | Options ; tab "File Filters") and making sure
            the "Default Extension" is blank.

            This makes it such that if you don't type an extension, the file
            will not have one. So you have to type the desired extension
            whenever you do a "Save As" or "Rename". Some people like it this
            way, some other people do not. ;-)

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 28, 2000
              29/09/00 00:16:27

              Why not write the text of a new web page and then a few lines in do the menu convert
              document to HTML where the file name adapts to .htm (change to .html) and then go on
              coding further? And for regular clips and your own build up and alter the HTML clip
              book. My version of the clipbook is displayed (and referenced to original authors) and
              avialable as a zip download on my website at Learning, HTML and Help, and HTML
              writing.

              Adrian Worsfold

              web: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
              email: adrian@...