NTP opens w/ VERTICAL menu bar & nothing else!!

  • Sleepless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2000
      For the last few weeks NoteTab Pro has not been opening
      properly. The problem does not happen overtime I run NTP, but
      only intermittently.

      I run NTP from a shortcut in my Windows95 StartUp folder. I
      have the shortcut's "Run" property set to "Minimized."

      Sometimes when I click on the NTP taskbar button to open NTP for
      the first time in a session, NTP will open in the most strange
      way:

      NTP appears on my Win95 desktop as a vertical grey bar along the
      left edge of the screen. The bar is the full height of the
      screen and about an inch and three quarters wide. The only
      things that appear in this grey bar are the standard title bar at
      the top and those pulldown menu titles like "File," "Edit,"
      "Search," "View," etc.

      But since this bar is vertical, instead of horizontal, the menu
      titles appear stacked vertically like this:

      File Edit
      Search View
      Modify
      Document
      Favorites Tools
      Help

      That's ALL that appears. In order to correct the display I have
      to first click on the little button in the upper right hand
      corner, the double rectangles that ordinarily mean to
      "unmaximize" a window (What DO you call that button?). And then
      click the "Maximize" button. Sometimes when I do this the NTP
      crashes and I have to close it with Alt-Ctrl-Del, "End Task."

      Have any of you ever seen anything like this?

      P.S. I recently installed Anti-Virus Toolkit Pro on my system. I
      wonder if that could be causing the problem.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2000
        Hi Sleepless in Seattle,

        >NTP appears on my Win95 desktop as a vertical grey bar along the
        >left edge of the screen. The bar is the full height of the
        >screen and about an inch and three quarters wide. The only
        >things that appear in this grey bar are the standard title bar at
        >the top and those pulldown menu titles like "File," "Edit,"
        >"Search," "View," etc.

        I've never seen that. Get your window where you want it and
        click on the program icon on the Titlebar. Click on "Save Window
        State". If Open Centered was checked, click on the program icon
        again and uncheck it. Go to your shortcut and make sure it is
        set for minimized. It should always open minimized then and then
        when you Restore it should go to where you "Saved Window State."

        >P.S. I recently installed Anti-Virus Toolkit Pro on my system. I
        >wonder if that could be causing the problem.

        Turn it off for awhile and see if it stops.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Sleepless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2000
          Thanks Jody! I'd given up hope that anyone would answer my
          query.

          I don't know if your trick solved the problem, (time will tell),
          but I have to say thanks for turning me on that "Save Window
          State" command. I didn't even know that was there! So your
          pointing that out to me solved a problem I've been meaning to ask
          about but have never gotten around to. So, thanks again!

          Jody wrote:

          > I've never seen that. Get your window where you want it and
          > click on the program icon on the Titlebar. Click on "Save Window
          > State". If Open Centered was checked, click on the program icon
          > again and uncheck it. Go to your shortcut and make sure it is
          > set for minimized. It should always open minimized then and then
          > when you Restore it should go to where you "Saved Window State."
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2000
            Hi Jody,

            At 02:38 AM 09/16/2000 -0500, you wrote:

            >Hi Sleepless in Seattle,
            >
            >I've never seen that. Get your window where you want it and
            >click on the program icon on the Titlebar. Click on "Save Window
            >State". If Open Centered was checked, click on the program icon
            >again and uncheck it. Go to your shortcut and make sure it is
            >set for minimized. It should always open minimized then and then
            >when you Restore it should go to where you "Saved Window State."

            You can click anywhere on the title bar except the buttons on the right end
            and get the same results as clicking on the program icon.

            You can go to View|Options and select the General Tab. On the upper left
            side you can check the check box marked "Save position and size". Please
            tell me the difference between setting the options and the "Save Window
            State" from the title bar? If the general option to "Save position and
            size" is set or checked should it not come up the same each time you start
            NoteTab as the help file seems to indicate?

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 17, 2000
              Hi Larry,

              > You can go to View|Options and select the General Tab. On the
              > upper left side you can check the check box marked "Save
              > position and size". Please tell me the difference between
              > setting the options and the "Save Window State" from the title
              > bar? If the general option to "Save position and size" is set
              > or checked should it not come up the same each time you start
              > NoteTab as the help file seems to indicate?

              I think that is a bug. It has been on my to check list for a few
              weeks now, but I just have not had the time to get to it. Thanks
              for bringing it up.

              You might remember we use to have three places to check that at.
              the third, which was removed was under the View or Edit menu I
              believe. I don't feel like going back to check for my accuracy
              in something that is history. ;)

              I hope Eric leaves it on the Titlebar, because that is the
              easiest place to set it at. I always tell people to click on the
              program icon because that is a one click to get to the System
              menu instead of a right click first. I searched Help for System
              menu, Program menu/icon, etc. and could not find the paragraph
              about it. there use to be something there on the System menu.
              Perhaps I am using the wrong name? Head has been foggy lately.

              My brother is in from out of town, so I will be slow answering.
              They all went to church and I'm still to sick to make it, but had
              to get caught up on some eMail.

              My baby sister's funeral will probably be held a week from
              Tuesday at the family cemetery area in Saluda, NC, so I will be
              out of town for awhile. I'll let you all know when I leave.
              Thank you all for the kind eMail you have been sending.