Re: [NTB] Re: binary conversion inhibits "Strip HTML"

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
      Hi Tom,

      At 11:10 AM 09/07/2000 -0500, you wrote:
      >What could "Strip HTML" destroy? It always creates a completely separate
      >.txt file and never touches (and even automatically closes) the original
      >.html file.

      Strip HTML will not destroy anything as far as I can tell but Save or Save
      As could definitely replace all of the binary code with the replacement
      characters that NoteTab used for display purposes when opening the file so
      that it would indeed be functionally destroyed/corrupted/damaged. Maybe
      "Strip HTML" might be modified to work on these files but then again the
      code required might not be practical to impliment for one reason or
      another. The block on Saving should stay the way it is.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
        Hi Jody and Tom,

        At 12:04 PM 09/07/2000 -0500, you wrote:

        >Hi Tom,
        >
        >You can use Document | Insert File... to put the text into a new
        >document and if I remember correctly it will not add the binary
        >portion of it.

        You can also Copy All and paste the results to a new file and work on it
        there.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
          Hi Jody and Tom,

          I just checked this out and you can corrupt a file by saving. I assumed
          that Save was blocked but it is not. If you load a file with binary
          conversion you get the warning that binary characters have been converted
          to... and then the file is there. You can Save As but the Save item is
          greyed out. Select Document|Readonly to make the file editable. Now type
          a space and then backspace. The file has now been changed and you can Save
          it over the original and all of the binary characters in the original file
          will be replaced by the replacement that NoteTab made when it opened the
          file and you will have a corrupted file.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            > Select Document|Readonly to make the file editable. Now type a
            > space and then backspace. The file has now been changed and
            > you can Save it over the original and all of the binary
            > characters in the original file will be replaced by the
            > replacement that NoteTab made when it opened the file and you
            > will have a corrupted file.

            True, that is why they are marked Read-Only by NoteTab. Tom is
            saying since Strip HTML makes a new document and closes the old,
            then Read-Only should not matter.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
            mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...