Re: binary conversion inhibits "Strip HTML"

  • Tom Gudan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
      > >Every now and then in NoteTab Pro when I open an HTML file I get
      > >the pop-up that says
      > > Warning: ... may be a binary file.
      > > ... non-text characters have been converted to ..."
      > >
      > >I understand why this happens: I am allowing NoteTab to filter
      > >binary codes because I don't want to take a chance of part of the
      > >file being missing.
      >
      > >Why is NoteTab designed to not allow "Strip HTML" or "Save" in this
      > >case?
      >
      > For the same reason as anytime I suppose, to help users not
      > destroy their files.
      >
      > >Is there any easier way to get around the problem?
      >
      > In the Document menu uncheck Read-Only. NoteTab marks it as
      > that. In HTML files when that happens I normally see the
      > replacement character at the bottom of the document, FWIW.

      Thanks for the response, Jody.

      What could "Strip HTML" destroy? It always creates a completely separate
      .txt file and never touches (and even automatically closes) the original
      .html file.

      On my version of NoteTab (4.82) the document is not checked as Read-Only.
      Clicking Read-Only on and off doesn't make any difference.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2000
        Hi Tom,

        >What could "Strip HTML" destroy?

        Oops! :) You are correct in that case.

        >On my version of NoteTab (4.82) the document is not checked as
        >Read-Only. Clicking Read-Only on and off doesn't make any
        >difference.

        I am talking about the original HTML file when you first open it.
        I have all three of the following checked. Perhaps that makes a
        difference:

        Filter Binary Codes: By default, if you try to load a file that
        contains null characters (a character with a decimal value of 0),
        NoteTab will treat the first occurring null as the end of the
        file. This option lets you override this behavior by allowing
        NoteTab to substitute null characters with another character –
        defined in the "Substitute Binary Character" field. When set, you
        can load the full content of any type of file (including
        binaries). Important: saving files which have had characters
        substituted will not restore the control character! This option
        slows the loading of large files, so do not set it if you use
        only true text files.

        Warn Partial Loading: Warns if a file has only been partially
        loaded due to the presence of null characters. This option has no
        effect if "Filter Binary Codes" is set.

        Warn Binaries Substituted: Displays a warning message if binary
        characters have been substituted in the loaded document.

        -----

        You get the warning, it is not marked as Read-Only, but yet you
        cannot edit the file. Is that correct? Do you see your binary
        substitution character? Look down at the bottom of the file.
        The default is a dot --> · <-- centered in the line.

        You can use Document | Insert File... to put the text into a new
        document and if I remember correctly it will not add the binary
        portion of it.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...