Re: [NTB] dictionary

  • Jim Berk
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000

      >Hi Jim,
      >
      > >Dictionaries are in the \dictionary folder; the configuration is
      > >set; yet spell checking does not use the dictionary chosen. The
      > >thesaurus works, however. What gives?
      >
      >The Spell Checker should start at the top of the list if multiple
      >dictionaries are selected and work downward. If that is not the
      >case, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg found in NoteTab's main
      >folder. Restart the checker and configure it. If you are using
      >the English dictionaries use the base English and whichever add
      >on for type of English you want. You might try just removing the
      >dictionaries in the configuration window and add them again.
      >
      >Happy NoteTab'n,
      >Jody Adair

      Nope: there's only one selected, American. I deleted spell.cfg and
      reconfigured, but
      the result was the same. The first time I checked read only, but not the
      second time.
      Everything seems in place but it doesn't lookup the dictionary.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000
        Hi Jim,

        >Nope: there's only one selected, American. I deleted spell.cfg
        >and reconfigured, but the result was the same. The first time I
        >checked read only, but not the second time.
        >Everything seems in place but it doesn't lookup the dictionary.

        Try updating to the latest dictionaries:

        http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm

        Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus
        (size 1,394 KB; updated 8 May 2000)
        http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe

        If you install the American English the end result in the
        configuration window should be:

        Base English v2.01
        American Add-on v2.01

        You want to choose for the above:

        English.dct
        AmerAdd.dct

        The Setup program has those dictionaries and the thesaurus in it.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 19 8:57 AM
          Hello Notetabbers :-)

          [NoteTab Pro 4.95]

          I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
          dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

          It is an Word97 dictionary, I tried also the Open Office dictionary.
          And yes, I did rename the extension. I even restart Notetab Pro.

          The provided Dutch dictionary on the NoteTab website doesn't satisfy
          me.

          What is wrong?

          --
          Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
          www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26 11:36 AM
              Hi Adrien,

              >I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
              >dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

              It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
              in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.

              See ya in the funnies,
              Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

              http://www.clean-funnies.com
            • Adrien Verlee
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28 5:40 AM
                Jody,

                Saturday, March 26, 2005, 9:36:17 PM. Je schreef:

                >>I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                >>dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

                J> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                J> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.

                Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?

                Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                --
                Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
                www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?
                FILOSOFIE: www.ou.nl/open/filosoof/
                www.a.verlee.easynet.be/database/
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28 12:44 PM
                  Adrien Verlee wrote:

                  > Jody,
                  >
                  >>> I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                  >>> dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.
                  >

                  >> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                  >> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.
                  >
                  > Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                  > dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?
                  >
                  > Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                  > clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                  Jody, Adrien,

                  Maybe I missed something, I've been preoccupied with trying to set up a
                  new computer to closely match my older one.

                  Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or 13,
                  plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages included.

                  http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php

                  Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the
                  latest, free for personal use, version, just out recently. It works
                  integrally with NoteTab, highlight or place the cursor on a word to
                  check, hit F12 and WordWeb pops-up, the escape key closes it. Clips for
                  incorporating WordWeb can be found at

                  http://notetab.com/libraries.php

                  in the clip libraries section or, at The NoteTabber's Assitant Page at

                  http://notetab.net

                  WordWeb gives similarly spelled words in case the word spelling you're
                  checking is illegitimate, I just used it to check 'illegitimate'.

                  http://wordweb.info/free/

                  Unless you have need for a very specific dictionary type these should
                  meet all your needs.

                  Although I can't find a download location right now, Jody wrote a set of
                  clips for working with UDT's, to clean extraneous words and merge
                  multiple UDT'S into one.

                  I have 2 other clips I haven't used for quite a while, one will strip a
                  UDT down to a word list for sorting and removing or adding words, the
                  other will rebuild the UDT with the newly compiled list, or, you can
                  take another wordlist and create a UDT from it.

                  ºvº
                  05.03.28
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                • Joel Rosen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28 1:59 PM
                    I tried wordweb but am unable to get it to work automatically in NTP. I
                    downloaded a clip but it is for much earlier versions. Any suggestions other
                    than ctrl-alt-w?

                    >>> I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                    >>> dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.
                    >

                    >> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                    >> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.
                    >
                    > Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                    > dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?
                    >
                    > Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                    > clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                    Jody, Adrien,

                    Maybe I missed something, I've been preoccupied with trying to set up a
                    new computer to closely match my older one.

                    Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or 13,
                    plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages included.

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php"http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries
                    .php

                    Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the
                    latest, free for personal use, version, just out recently. It works
                    integrally with NoteTab, highlight or place the cursor on a word to
                    check, hit F12 and WordWeb pops-up, the escape key closes it. Clips for
                    incorporating WordWeb can be found at

                    HYPERLINK "http://notetab.com/libraries.php"http://notetab.com/libraries.php

                    in the clip libraries section or, at The NoteTabber's Assitant Page at

                    HYPERLINK "http://notetab.net"http://notetab.net

                    HYPERLINK "http://wordweb.info/free/"http://wordweb.info/free/

                    Unless you have need for a very specific dictionary type these should
                    meet all your needs.

                    Although I can't find a download location right now, Jody wrote a set of
                    clips for working with UDT's, to clean extraneous words and merge
                    multiple UDT'S into one.

                    I have 2 other clips I haven't used for quite a while, one will strip a
                    UDT down to a word list for sorting and removing or adding words, the
                    other will rebuild the UDT with the newly compiled list, or, you can
                    take another wordlist and create a UDT from it.

                    ºvº
                    05.03.28
                    hrs > hsavage@...

                    Fookes Software Home: HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.fookes.us/redir"http://www.fookes.us/redir

                    The NoteTab Clips List: HYPERLINK
                    "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-
                    clips/

                    The NoteTab Off Topic List: HYPERLINK
                    "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/n
                    tb-offtopic/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bd1n56/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705007181:HM/EXP=1112129085/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.
                    netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here
                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2593423/rand=661732258"

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/noteta
                    b/

                    HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:notetab-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"notetab-unsu
                    bscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 28 3:16 PM
                      Joel Rosen wrote:

                      > I tried wordweb but am unable to get it to work automatically in NTP. I
                      > downloaded a clip but it is for much earlier versions. Any
                      suggestions other
                      > than ctrl-alt-w?

                      Joel,

                      You may need to do 2 things. Install WordWeb in a folder under NoteTab,
                      second, go into the View > Options > ToolBar, scroll down until you find
                      Thesaurus, place a check beside it to gain the icon in the toolbar. The
                      icon in the toolbar isn't a necessity, you can still start WordWeb with F12.

                      If there's more to the use of WordWeb it's been so long since I
                      installed it I can't remember any other steps, this would be a great
                      opportunity for other list members who have further info to jump in.

                      ºvº
                      05.03.28
                      hrs > hsavage@...
                    • Adrien Verlee
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29 12:01 PM
                        Dag hsavage,

                        Monday, March 28, 2005, 10:44:01 PM. Je schreef:

                        h> Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or
                        h> 13, plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages
                        h> included.

                        h> http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php

                        Yes, I know. It do not satisfy my needs.

                        h> Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the

                        It is only English. Sorry. I need a good Dutch dictionary. But as I
                        said, maybe it is not a big problem. Because I can use the clipboard
                        and check the file in Word.

                        Anyhow, thanks!

                        --
                        Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
                        www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?
                        FILOSOFIE: www.ou.nl/open/filosoof/
                        www.a.verlee.easynet.be/database/
                      • dave
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                          Hi Adrien
                          If you find a list of dutch words and add them to the
                          "Dictionaries\Default.udt"
                          I think you will have what you want . I would think a page of dutch and
                          change it to a single list and add it ??
                          THANKYOU DAVE

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                            Hi Adrien,

                            >If you find a list of dutch words and add them to the
                            >"Dictionaries\Default.udt"
                            >I think you will have what you want . I would think a page of
                            >dutch and change it to a single list and add it ??

                            Good idea Dave, but if the UDT gets too big for some reason it
                            bogs down the closing time of the spelling checker dialog. Yet,
                            still better than copy/paste into Word.

                            Adrien, try looking at Addictive Software for a Dutch dictionary.
                            It has to be a version that is for their spelling checker, the
                            one one NoteTab uses, of version 2.x. The 3.x dictionaries will
                            not work, because we have not upgraded to that version yet in
                            NoteTab.

                            Also, if you can find a good public domain Dutch word list, you
                            can write me with the size zipped information and I'll let you
                            know to send it eMail or uploaded to a site for me to get. I can
                            then compile it into a regular dictionary for NoteTab. It takes a
                            very long time to compile (ties up my computer), so make sure
                            your word list is complete. Write me at Jody@..., please.

                            Happy Tab'n,