Re: [NTB] dictionary

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000
      Hi Jim,

      >Dictionaries are in the \dictionary folder; the configuration is
      >set; yet spell checking does not use the dictionary chosen. The
      >thesaurus works, however. What gives?

      The Spell Checker should start at the top of the list if multiple
      dictionaries are selected and work downward. If that is not the
      case, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg found in NoteTab's main
      folder. Restart the checker and configure it. If you are using
      the English dictionaries use the base English and whichever add
      on for type of English you want. You might try just removing the
      dictionaries in the configuration window and add them again.

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
      mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • Jim Berk
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000

        >Hi Jim,
        >
        > >Dictionaries are in the \dictionary folder; the configuration is
        > >set; yet spell checking does not use the dictionary chosen. The
        > >thesaurus works, however. What gives?
        >
        >The Spell Checker should start at the top of the list if multiple
        >dictionaries are selected and work downward. If that is not the
        >case, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg found in NoteTab's main
        >folder. Restart the checker and configure it. If you are using
        >the English dictionaries use the base English and whichever add
        >on for type of English you want. You might try just removing the
        >dictionaries in the configuration window and add them again.
        >
        >Happy NoteTab'n,
        >Jody Adair

        Nope: there's only one selected, American. I deleted spell.cfg and
        reconfigured, but
        the result was the same. The first time I checked read only, but not the
        second time.
        Everything seems in place but it doesn't lookup the dictionary.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000
          Hi Jim,

          >Nope: there's only one selected, American. I deleted spell.cfg
          >and reconfigured, but the result was the same. The first time I
          >checked read only, but not the second time.
          >Everything seems in place but it doesn't lookup the dictionary.

          Try updating to the latest dictionaries:

          http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm

          Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus
          (size 1,394 KB; updated 8 May 2000)
          http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe

          If you install the American English the end result in the
          configuration window should be:

          Base English v2.01
          American Add-on v2.01

          You want to choose for the above:

          English.dct
          AmerAdd.dct

          The Setup program has those dictionaries and the thesaurus in it.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 19, 2005
            Hello Notetabbers :-)

            [NoteTab Pro 4.95]

            I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
            dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

            It is an Word97 dictionary, I tried also the Open Office dictionary.
            And yes, I did rename the extension. I even restart Notetab Pro.

            The provided Dutch dictionary on the NoteTab website doesn't satisfy
            me.

            What is wrong?

            --
            Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
            www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 26, 2005
                Hi Adrien,

                >I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                >dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

                It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.

                See ya in the funnies,
                Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                http://www.clean-funnies.com
              • Adrien Verlee
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                  Jody,

                  Saturday, March 26, 2005, 9:36:17 PM. Je schreef:

                  >>I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                  >>dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

                  J> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                  J> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.

                  Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                  dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?

                  Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                  clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                  --
                  Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
                  www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?
                  FILOSOFIE: www.ou.nl/open/filosoof/
                  www.a.verlee.easynet.be/database/
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                    Adrien Verlee wrote:

                    > Jody,
                    >
                    >>> I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                    >>> dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.
                    >

                    >> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                    >> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.
                    >
                    > Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                    > dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?
                    >
                    > Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                    > clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                    Jody, Adrien,

                    Maybe I missed something, I've been preoccupied with trying to set up a
                    new computer to closely match my older one.

                    Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or 13,
                    plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages included.

                    http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php

                    Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the
                    latest, free for personal use, version, just out recently. It works
                    integrally with NoteTab, highlight or place the cursor on a word to
                    check, hit F12 and WordWeb pops-up, the escape key closes it. Clips for
                    incorporating WordWeb can be found at

                    http://notetab.com/libraries.php

                    in the clip libraries section or, at The NoteTabber's Assitant Page at

                    http://notetab.net

                    WordWeb gives similarly spelled words in case the word spelling you're
                    checking is illegitimate, I just used it to check 'illegitimate'.

                    http://wordweb.info/free/

                    Unless you have need for a very specific dictionary type these should
                    meet all your needs.

                    Although I can't find a download location right now, Jody wrote a set of
                    clips for working with UDT's, to clean extraneous words and merge
                    multiple UDT'S into one.

                    I have 2 other clips I haven't used for quite a while, one will strip a
                    UDT down to a word list for sorting and removing or adding words, the
                    other will rebuild the UDT with the newly compiled list, or, you can
                    take another wordlist and create a UDT from it.

                    ºvº
                    05.03.28
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                  • Joel Rosen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                      I tried wordweb but am unable to get it to work automatically in NTP. I
                      downloaded a clip but it is for much earlier versions. Any suggestions other
                      than ctrl-alt-w?

                      >>> I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                      >>> dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.
                      >

                      >> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                      >> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.
                      >
                      > Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                      > dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?
                      >
                      > Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                      > clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                      Jody, Adrien,

                      Maybe I missed something, I've been preoccupied with trying to set up a
                      new computer to closely match my older one.

                      Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or 13,
                      plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages included.

                      HYPERLINK
                      "http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php"http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries
                      .php

                      Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the
                      latest, free for personal use, version, just out recently. It works
                      integrally with NoteTab, highlight or place the cursor on a word to
                      check, hit F12 and WordWeb pops-up, the escape key closes it. Clips for
                      incorporating WordWeb can be found at

                      HYPERLINK "http://notetab.com/libraries.php"http://notetab.com/libraries.php

                      in the clip libraries section or, at The NoteTabber's Assitant Page at

                      HYPERLINK "http://notetab.net"http://notetab.net

                      HYPERLINK "http://wordweb.info/free/"http://wordweb.info/free/

                      Unless you have need for a very specific dictionary type these should
                      meet all your needs.

                      Although I can't find a download location right now, Jody wrote a set of
                      clips for working with UDT's, to clean extraneous words and merge
                      multiple UDT'S into one.

                      I have 2 other clips I haven't used for quite a while, one will strip a
                      UDT down to a word list for sorting and removing or adding words, the
                      other will rebuild the UDT with the newly compiled list, or, you can
                      take another wordlist and create a UDT from it.

                      ºvº
                      05.03.28
                      hrs > hsavage@...

                      Fookes Software Home: HYPERLINK
                      "http://www.fookes.us/redir"http://www.fookes.us/redir

                      The NoteTab Clips List: HYPERLINK
                      "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-
                      clips/

                      The NoteTab Off Topic List: HYPERLINK
                      "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/n
                      tb-offtopic/

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      HYPERLINK
                      "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bd1n56/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705007181:HM/EXP=1112129085/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.
                      netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here
                      HYPERLINK
                      "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=
                      :HM/A=2593423/rand=661732258"

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      HYPERLINK
                      "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/noteta
                      b/

                      HYPERLINK
                      "mailto:notetab-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"notetab-unsu
                      bscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                        Joel Rosen wrote:

                        > I tried wordweb but am unable to get it to work automatically in NTP. I
                        > downloaded a clip but it is for much earlier versions. Any
                        suggestions other
                        > than ctrl-alt-w?

                        Joel,

                        You may need to do 2 things. Install WordWeb in a folder under NoteTab,
                        second, go into the View > Options > ToolBar, scroll down until you find
                        Thesaurus, place a check beside it to gain the icon in the toolbar. The
                        icon in the toolbar isn't a necessity, you can still start WordWeb with F12.

                        If there's more to the use of WordWeb it's been so long since I
                        installed it I can't remember any other steps, this would be a great
                        opportunity for other list members who have further info to jump in.

                        ºvº
                        05.03.28
                        hrs > hsavage@...
                      • Adrien Verlee
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2005
                          Dag hsavage,

                          Monday, March 28, 2005, 10:44:01 PM. Je schreef:

                          h> Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or
                          h> 13, plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages
                          h> included.

                          h> http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php

                          Yes, I know. It do not satisfy my needs.

                          h> Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the

                          It is only English. Sorry. I need a good Dutch dictionary. But as I
                          said, maybe it is not a big problem. Because I can use the clipboard
                          and check the file in Word.

                          Anyhow, thanks!

                          --
                          Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
                          www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?
                          FILOSOFIE: www.ou.nl/open/filosoof/
                          www.a.verlee.easynet.be/database/
                        • dave
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 1 4:47 AM
                            Hi Adrien
                            If you find a list of dutch words and add them to the
                            "Dictionaries\Default.udt"
                            I think you will have what you want . I would think a page of dutch and
                            change it to a single list and add it ??
                            THANKYOU DAVE

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 1 7:19 AM
                              Hi Adrien,

                              >If you find a list of dutch words and add them to the
                              >"Dictionaries\Default.udt"
                              >I think you will have what you want . I would think a page of
                              >dutch and change it to a single list and add it ??

                              Good idea Dave, but if the UDT gets too big for some reason it
                              bogs down the closing time of the spelling checker dialog. Yet,
                              still better than copy/paste into Word.

                              Adrien, try looking at Addictive Software for a Dutch dictionary.
                              It has to be a version that is for their spelling checker, the
                              one one NoteTab uses, of version 2.x. The 3.x dictionaries will
                              not work, because we have not upgraded to that version yet in
                              NoteTab.

                              Also, if you can find a good public domain Dutch word list, you
                              can write me with the size zipped information and I'll let you
                              know to send it eMail or uploaded to a site for me to get. I can
                              then compile it into a regular dictionary for NoteTab. It takes a
                              very long time to compile (ties up my computer), so make sure
                              your word list is complete. Write me at Jody@..., please.

                              Happy Tab'n,