dictionary

  • Jim Berk
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000
      Dictionaries are in the \dictionary folder; the configuration is set; yet
      spell
      checking does not use the dictionary chosen. The thesaurus works, however.
      What gives?
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000
        Hi Jim,

        >Dictionaries are in the \dictionary folder; the configuration is
        >set; yet spell checking does not use the dictionary chosen. The
        >thesaurus works, however. What gives?

        The Spell Checker should start at the top of the list if multiple
        dictionaries are selected and work downward. If that is not the
        case, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg found in NoteTab's main
        folder. Restart the checker and configure it. If you are using
        the English dictionaries use the base English and whichever add
        on for type of English you want. You might try just removing the
        dictionaries in the configuration window and add them again.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Jim Berk
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000

          >Hi Jim,
          >
          > >Dictionaries are in the \dictionary folder; the configuration is
          > >set; yet spell checking does not use the dictionary chosen. The
          > >thesaurus works, however. What gives?
          >
          >The Spell Checker should start at the top of the list if multiple
          >dictionaries are selected and work downward. If that is not the
          >case, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg found in NoteTab's main
          >folder. Restart the checker and configure it. If you are using
          >the English dictionaries use the base English and whichever add
          >on for type of English you want. You might try just removing the
          >dictionaries in the configuration window and add them again.
          >
          >Happy NoteTab'n,
          >Jody Adair

          Nope: there's only one selected, American. I deleted spell.cfg and
          reconfigured, but
          the result was the same. The first time I checked read only, but not the
          second time.
          Everything seems in place but it doesn't lookup the dictionary.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2000
            Hi Jim,

            >Nope: there's only one selected, American. I deleted spell.cfg
            >and reconfigured, but the result was the same. The first time I
            >checked read only, but not the second time.
            >Everything seems in place but it doesn't lookup the dictionary.

            Try updating to the latest dictionaries:

            http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm

            Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus
            (size 1,394 KB; updated 8 May 2000)
            http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe

            If you install the American English the end result in the
            configuration window should be:

            Base English v2.01
            American Add-on v2.01

            You want to choose for the above:

            English.dct
            AmerAdd.dct

            The Setup program has those dictionaries and the thesaurus in it.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
            mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 19, 2005
              Hello Notetabbers :-)

              [NoteTab Pro 4.95]

              I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
              dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

              It is an Word97 dictionary, I tried also the Open Office dictionary.
              And yes, I did rename the extension. I even restart Notetab Pro.

              The provided Dutch dictionary on the NoteTab website doesn't satisfy
              me.

              What is wrong?

              --
              Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
              www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 26, 2005
                  Hi Adrien,

                  >I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                  >dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

                  It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                  in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.

                  See ya in the funnies,
                  Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                  http://www.clean-funnies.com
                • Adrien Verlee
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                    Jody,

                    Saturday, March 26, 2005, 9:36:17 PM. Je schreef:

                    >>I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                    >>dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.

                    J> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                    J> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.

                    Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                    dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?

                    Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                    clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                    --
                    Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
                    www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?
                    FILOSOFIE: www.ou.nl/open/filosoof/
                    www.a.verlee.easynet.be/database/
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                      Adrien Verlee wrote:

                      > Jody,
                      >
                      >>> I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                      >>> dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.
                      >

                      >> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                      >> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.
                      >
                      > Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                      > dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?
                      >
                      > Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                      > clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                      Jody, Adrien,

                      Maybe I missed something, I've been preoccupied with trying to set up a
                      new computer to closely match my older one.

                      Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or 13,
                      plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages included.

                      http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php

                      Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the
                      latest, free for personal use, version, just out recently. It works
                      integrally with NoteTab, highlight or place the cursor on a word to
                      check, hit F12 and WordWeb pops-up, the escape key closes it. Clips for
                      incorporating WordWeb can be found at

                      http://notetab.com/libraries.php

                      in the clip libraries section or, at The NoteTabber's Assitant Page at

                      http://notetab.net

                      WordWeb gives similarly spelled words in case the word spelling you're
                      checking is illegitimate, I just used it to check 'illegitimate'.

                      http://wordweb.info/free/

                      Unless you have need for a very specific dictionary type these should
                      meet all your needs.

                      Although I can't find a download location right now, Jody wrote a set of
                      clips for working with UDT's, to clean extraneous words and merge
                      multiple UDT'S into one.

                      I have 2 other clips I haven't used for quite a while, one will strip a
                      UDT down to a word list for sorting and removing or adding words, the
                      other will rebuild the UDT with the newly compiled list, or, you can
                      take another wordlist and create a UDT from it.

                      ºvº
                      05.03.28
                      hrs > hsavage@...
                    • Joel Rosen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                        I tried wordweb but am unable to get it to work automatically in NTP. I
                        downloaded a clip but it is for much earlier versions. Any suggestions other
                        than ctrl-alt-w?

                        >>> I saw in the Yahoo-archive that it is possible to use the Word
                        >>> dictionary. I did, but it works not good. it works not at all.
                        >

                        >> It is talking about the Custom.dic. The one that you add words to
                        >> in Word. It is equivalent to NoteTab's default.udt dictionary.
                        >
                        > Oh, I see. Is there an easy (and quick) way to make a custom
                        > dictionary out the standard dictionary of Word (or another one)?
                        >
                        > Nevertheless, maybe it isn't that important, because I can use the
                        > clipboard to check the spelling in Word.

                        Jody, Adrien,

                        Maybe I missed something, I've been preoccupied with trying to set up a
                        new computer to closely match my older one.

                        Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or 13,
                        plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages included.

                        HYPERLINK
                        "http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php"http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries
                        .php

                        Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the
                        latest, free for personal use, version, just out recently. It works
                        integrally with NoteTab, highlight or place the cursor on a word to
                        check, hit F12 and WordWeb pops-up, the escape key closes it. Clips for
                        incorporating WordWeb can be found at

                        HYPERLINK "http://notetab.com/libraries.php"http://notetab.com/libraries.php

                        in the clip libraries section or, at The NoteTabber's Assitant Page at

                        HYPERLINK "http://notetab.net"http://notetab.net

                        HYPERLINK "http://wordweb.info/free/"http://wordweb.info/free/

                        Unless you have need for a very specific dictionary type these should
                        meet all your needs.

                        Although I can't find a download location right now, Jody wrote a set of
                        clips for working with UDT's, to clean extraneous words and merge
                        multiple UDT'S into one.

                        I have 2 other clips I haven't used for quite a while, one will strip a
                        UDT down to a word list for sorting and removing or adding words, the
                        other will rebuild the UDT with the newly compiled list, or, you can
                        take another wordlist and create a UDT from it.

                        ºvº
                        05.03.28
                        hrs > hsavage@...

                        Fookes Software Home: HYPERLINK
                        "http://www.fookes.us/redir"http://www.fookes.us/redir

                        The NoteTab Clips List: HYPERLINK
                        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-
                        clips/

                        The NoteTab Off Topic List: HYPERLINK
                        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/n
                        tb-offtopic/

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        HYPERLINK
                        "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bd1n56/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=gr
                        oups/S=1705007181:HM/EXP=1112129085/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.
                        netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here
                        HYPERLINK
                        "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=
                        :HM/A=2593423/rand=661732258"

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        HYPERLINK
                        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/noteta
                        b/

                        HYPERLINK
                        "mailto:notetab-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"notetab-unsu
                        bscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 28, 2005
                          Joel Rosen wrote:

                          > I tried wordweb but am unable to get it to work automatically in NTP. I
                          > downloaded a clip but it is for much earlier versions. Any
                          suggestions other
                          > than ctrl-alt-w?

                          Joel,

                          You may need to do 2 things. Install WordWeb in a folder under NoteTab,
                          second, go into the View > Options > ToolBar, scroll down until you find
                          Thesaurus, place a check beside it to gain the icon in the toolbar. The
                          icon in the toolbar isn't a necessity, you can still start WordWeb with F12.

                          If there's more to the use of WordWeb it's been so long since I
                          installed it I can't remember any other steps, this would be a great
                          opportunity for other list members who have further info to jump in.

                          ºvº
                          05.03.28
                          hrs > hsavage@...
                        • Adrien Verlee
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2005
                            Dag hsavage,

                            Monday, March 28, 2005, 10:44:01 PM. Je schreef:

                            h> Adrien, have you tried NoteTab's own dictionaries? There are 12 or
                            h> 13, plus a thesaurus at the following address. Several languages
                            h> included.

                            h> http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.php

                            Yes, I know. It do not satisfy my needs.

                            h> Also, you can download a new version - 3.03, of WordWeb. This is the

                            It is only English. Sorry. I need a good Dutch dictionary. But as I
                            said, maybe it is not a big problem. Because I can use the clipboard
                            and check the file in Word.

                            Anyhow, thanks!

                            --
                            Adrien - Quoten is efficiënt
                            www.briachons.org/categorie.php?cat=4 - Post je goed?
                            FILOSOFIE: www.ou.nl/open/filosoof/
                            www.a.verlee.easynet.be/database/
                          • dave
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 1 4:47 AM
                              Hi Adrien
                              If you find a list of dutch words and add them to the
                              "Dictionaries\Default.udt"
                              I think you will have what you want . I would think a page of dutch and
                              change it to a single list and add it ??
                              THANKYOU DAVE

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 1 7:19 AM
                                Hi Adrien,

                                >If you find a list of dutch words and add them to the
                                >"Dictionaries\Default.udt"
                                >I think you will have what you want . I would think a page of
                                >dutch and change it to a single list and add it ??

                                Good idea Dave, but if the UDT gets too big for some reason it
                                bogs down the closing time of the spelling checker dialog. Yet,
                                still better than copy/paste into Word.

                                Adrien, try looking at Addictive Software for a Dutch dictionary.
                                It has to be a version that is for their spelling checker, the
                                one one NoteTab uses, of version 2.x. The 3.x dictionaries will
                                not work, because we have not upgraded to that version yet in
                                NoteTab.

                                Also, if you can find a good public domain Dutch word list, you
                                can write me with the size zipped information and I'll let you
                                know to send it eMail or uploaded to a site for me to get. I can
                                then compile it into a regular dictionary for NoteTab. It takes a
                                very long time to compile (ties up my computer), so make sure
                                your word list is complete. Write me at Jody@..., please.

                                Happy Tab'n,