Re: [NTB] Newbie

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2000
      Hi Ray (my middle name),

      At 11:52 PM 09/02/2000 -0000, you wrote:

      >Hi forum
      >
      >I am totally new to this program and was hoping someone might know if
      >notetab can delete duplicate words from a block of text so that you
      >are left with only one example of each word in a document?

      It is totally unecessary to delete words at all for this in NoteTab. Go to
      the menu bar and select Tools|Text Statistics. When the dialog appears, go
      to the bottom and click on more. You will see a scrollable information
      dialog open with all of the words and the number of times they occur in the
      document. You can limit the infomation to a selection of text if you
      select a block of text before doing this. You can right-click on the info
      box and get a menu that will allow you to copy the information to the
      clipboard for pasting into a new document. There is quite a bit of
      information at the bottom when you scroll down to it. You can also "Save
      All" to a file, "Save Words" to a file, and "Sort by frequency".

      I hope that this is helpful.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2002
        Hi Betty,

        I don't know much about stationary. I assume it is just html code which
        makes a background for an email or something? There is an html notetab
        list, you should direct your question there and you will probably get a
        better result.

        To edit html in notetab, you will want to enable the HTML clib book library.
        You probably see some buttons across the bottom of the notetab screen, find
        the HTML one and press it once. A list of clips will appear off to the left
        edge of the screen (they could appear right if someone changed your
        default). Double clicking on one of them will insert html coding in your
        page.

        I hope that helps, but I would look up the other list if I were you.

        Don
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2002
          I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about
          the "Stationery" feature in Microsoft Outlook. If that's
          the case, then it's just HTML code -- they're just canning
          it for you like a template.

          You can use Notetab or whatever HTML or text editor you
          want to create or modify pages that can be used as
          "Stationery." I don't use or recommend Outlook -- I won't
          say anymore about that here -- so I can't give you the
          exact procedure for how to make your custom pages show up
          as Stationery items in Outlook.

          Scott

          Don Passenger wrote:
          > Hi Betty,
          >
          > I don't know much about stationary. I assume it is just html code which
          > makes a background for an email or something? There is an html notetab
          > list, you should direct your question there and you will probably get a
          > better result.
          >
          > To edit html in notetab, you will want to enable the HTML clib book library.
          > You probably see some buttons across the bottom of the notetab screen, find
          > the HTML one and press it once. A list of clips will appear off to the left
          > edge of the screen (they could appear right if someone changed your
          > default). Double clicking on one of them will insert html coding in your
          > page.
          >
          > I hope that helps, but I would look up the other list if I were you.
          >
          > Don

        • Marcel
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2002
            My name is Marcel.
            I'm using an editor called SPFPC. When I did computers full time (Was a system pgmr on mainframes - 30 years) we had a editor called SPF (which came out in the 60's ) it had lots of line commends and had commands on a command line during editing and I got to learn them by heart. When PC's came out a program called
            spfpc was written for the PC's which has the same commands. What I'm wondering if UR allowed to issue commands such as Change data from something to something effecting 1 line at the time or all lines being edited. There a few other commands I want to know (later). I like the way notetab seems to work and want to learn more about it .
            Marcel

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2002
              --- In notetab@y..., "Marcel" <brillantm@o...> wrote:
              > My name is Marcel.
              > I'm using an editor called SPFPC. When I did computers full time
              (Was a system pgmr on mainframes - 30 years) we had a editor called
              SPF (which came out in the 60's ) it had lots of line commends and
              had commands on a command line during editing and I got to learn them
              by heart. When PC's came out a program called
              > spfpc was written for the PC's which has the same commands. What
              I'm wondering if UR allowed to issue commands such as Change data
              from something to something effecting 1 line at the time or all lines
              being edited. There a few other commands I want to know (later). I
              like the way notetab seems to work and want to learn more about it .
              > Marcel

              Hi Marcel,

              In Notetab, the only place commands come into play is in scripts
              (called "clips" in Notetab lingo). For normal editing, we use the
              menus, toolbar and dialog boxes. I think the commandline format for
              PC editors was more prevalent in DOS days.

              Hope the following will help you see how Notetab compares with your
              SPF experience for changing data.

              It is possible in Notetab to limit the scope of the data to be
              changed by either the Replace dialog or the ^!Replace command of the
              Clip language: by first highlighting the text you want to act upon
              (e.g., a line). You can elect to Replace All within a highlighted
              area. Otherwise you can "Find Next" to get the first match in the
              highlighted area - after the first, the Find/Replace Next is no
              longer bound by the original highlight.

              For the Replace dialog, the fact of highlighted text is automatically
              taken into account except when only a very small amount of text is
              selected. For normal replacements, more than 3 characters must
              usually be selected. Since the invisible carriage return/line feed
              counts 2 characters, it works on a line with as few as 2 visible
              characters when the line is selected by clicking at the left margin.
              But for regular expression replacements, more than 31 characters must
              usually be selected before the selection becomes a limiting factor.
              When the hightlight is not a limiting factor, other options determine
              where and how many changes will be applied (usually down from the
              current cursor position; if "Replace All" is selected, all
              occurrences from that point forward are subject to change).

              For the clip language's ^!Replace command, there is an "H" parameter
              used to specify when a replacement should be limited to a highlighted
              area. But unless at least one character is highlighted, the H
              parameter is ignored and the criteria is applied to entire document
              depending on what other parameter options specified. There are other
              commands in the clip language that can be used to establish a
              highlight, e.g., ^!Select Line, prior to the ^!Replace command.

              Regards,
              Sheri
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2002
                Hi Marcel,

                >My name is Marcel.

                Mine is Jody; welcome to NoteTab and the Basic List.

                There is a free addon that you can get called UAS. Look for it
                by that name in Help. Some people find it too annoying to use,
                but I like it a lot. You can make certain shorthand keys to add
                text you want. (I think that is what it does - haha - never
                tried any yet; who's got the time. :) Anyway, UAS is
                considerable configurable in that you can limit the popups to
                like 10 characters if you wanted and just use the shorthand - my
                guess. ;) You can also change the text color and background so
                that it is not so intrusive to you. I use black on white with no
                popups until after 4 characters and have it in autolearn words
                and phrases. (I use the Pro version which works in all programs
                and has a bit more power/options.)

                The Spell-checker that comes with NoteTab has an auto-complete in
                it. You can open the list in default.udt if that is the user
                defined dictionary you are using. At the bottom of the list you
                have the auto-current list. You could add your
                shorthand/shortcut keys there.

                There is also ClipWriter, a program that aids in writing Clips.
                It uses a shorthand type of thing too. You configure it for the
                way you want it. RS on the lists is the author. You can look up
                third party products in Help for the link.