Re: [NTB] HTML to text (tables)

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27 11:12 AM
      Hi Margaret,

      Are you using a Table Wizard to do this with? Are they existing
      Tables? I don't really understand what you are doing. Clips can
      be built to aid you or you can edit existing Clips. You might
      want to post over on the Clips list or HTML list for this.

      The NoteTab Clips List: ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
      The NoteTab HTML List: ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...

      >The tabs are not in the table. I want </TD> to trigger tabs
      >being put in the text output. That will be time consuming to say
      >the least, and open to errors when the contents of some cells
      >have phrases in them where the spaces should not be changed to
      >tabs. I'd like a default where transferring a table to text
      >automatically puts in the tabs for all tables. The older version
      >on Notetab pro did just that.

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
      mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • Margaret Olson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27 11:55 AM
        At 01:12 PM 8/27/2000 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Margaret,
        >
        >Are you using a Table Wizard to do this with?

        What is a "table wizard" ??? All I do is open an HTML file and click on
        the chain link on the toolbar. I will edit out all except the tables, and
        hope to be left with tab delimited text which can be read into a
        spreadsheet-type of UNIX program.

        > Are they existing
        >Tables? I don't really understand what you are doing. Clips can
        >be built to aid you or you can edit existing Clips. You might
        >want to post over on the Clips list or HTML list for this.

        I need to read the manual - but am not sure what section to find this
        in. I want to define the cell delimiter that NTP uses when it translates a
        table into text. It used to use a tab. Now it seems to use a single space.

        >The NoteTab Clips List: ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        >The NoteTab HTML List: ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...

        I just got NoteTab Pro - and I got it to do a specific job, though I intend
        to make much more thorough use of it for personal purposes once I learn how
        it all works. I don't know what I am using and don't know what Clips are
        or what they do - yet. That may be the answer, but I'm green enough not to
        know how to do that. I got this to do a job quickly because Pam knows it
        works. I may have to borrow her v. 3.08 or whatever it is she has for a
        short time to test it out. We are puzzled.

        I work with a group which gets non-copyrighted data (genealogical) from
        individuals and we put it into a program which makes tables or spreadsheets
        on a UNIX system and indexes it and makes it searchable at RootsWeb.com. I
        don't know how that program works - but we get data in many
        formats. People send us Word and Word Perfect and spreadsheets and
        whatever - and text and HTML files or links to pages. When we get an HTML
        link, I grab them and am supposed to translate the tables to delimited text
        and was told NoteTab Pro (version 3.0 something) would let me click on the
        HTML->text link and it would automatically give tab delimited text. The
        HTML->text link in the version I just got separates the table cells with a
        single space. Since the cells often contain multiple words and sometimes
        semicolons, I cannot use spaces or semicolons as delimiters.

        It seems logical that I ought to be able to set some "preference" to treat
        tables that way.

        I would think the HTML list deals with working in HTML. I do not need that
        for this problem. If Clips is the right place, what do I ask them?

        Margaret
      • Michael Acklin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27 12:11 PM
          Hey Jody,

          Did anyone get the guy sending the auto respond to the ntb-offtopic cleared up? Friday I had to unsubscribe to keep from getting my mailbox filled up.

          I hope so as I want to resubscribe.

          Mike
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27 2:50 PM
            Hi Margaret,

            >What is a "table wizard" ???

            In short, it is a tool to make HTML tables found in the HTML
            Library. Press F4 and the window that closes or opens (depending
            on the state it is in) is the Clipbook. It is like a wrapper for
            the Libraries. Press the HTML button at the bottom of the screen
            on the Libraries Bar to make the HTML Library active in the
            Clipbook. Clips are all the items listed in it. Read Clip
            Basics to see how to make some basic Clips.

            >All I do is open an HTML file and click on the chain link on the
            >toolbar.

            OK, I understand you now. You are using the "Strip HTML" tool
            and tabs are not preserved. That is true. I forget exactly when
            it was changed or a bug entered in (I think the first is
            correct), but if you will go to http://www.fookes.com and look
            under other software for the 32bit MiniNoteTab (Freeware) it
            should preserve the tabs for you. I tested in v2.63e which
            should be the same as what is online now. I did notice there was
            a tab and then a space, but that would be easy enough to take
            care of with a S&R. It will only handle 41kb files though. You
            are correct that v3.x of Pro also preserved the tabs.

            >>The NoteTab Clips List: ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            >
            >It seems logical that I ought to be able to set some "preference"
            >to treat tables that way.

            I suppose so, even Eric thought so at one time it appears. <g>
            NoteTab does try to create the text file according to the HTML
            though and not the hidden characters which are indeed stripped.

            >If Clips is the right place, what do I ask them?

            If the HTML files are basically all the same, a Clip could be
            built to get the <TD> fields for you and make the delimited file.
            I don't have the time for it myself and my head is foggy due to
            sickness, but you might get a taker for it. You would need to
            post the an example of the <TD> fields, just a few of them or one
            record. Perhaps my terminology is not correct. Post enough so
            they can make one line with tabs separating the fields and give
            an example output that you are looking for. It should not be to
            hard to write at all.