Re: [NTB] Double-click and other questions

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
      11/08/00 00:58:34

      Control and right clicking on several files results in Note Tab Light 4.82 opening the first
      file highlighted and none of the others

      Adrian Worsfold

      web: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      email: adrian@...
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000

        >I made my comment because on my setup (after invoking 'Replace MS Notepad')
        >I can't get NoteTab to load multiple files at all, regardless of the way the
        >'Multiple Instances' option is configured. Either way, if I select three or
        >four short .TXT files and press Enter (or right-click Open), NoteTab will
        >open only one of the files, after an unduly long pause.
        >
        >Or else it throws up an error message (that white box with 'Close' and
        >'Ignore' buttons) and gets shut down.
        >
        >Interestingly, over different attempts to open the same set of selected
        >files, NoteTab is not consistent about which is the file it decides to open.
        >
        >If NoteTab happens to be already open, then everything works fine ... but
        >that rather defeats the point of the association!
        >
        >I'd be very pleased if other people with the latest 4.82 freeware version
        >could test this (selecting and opening multiple text files), to rule out
        >some oddity with my setup here. It's pretty orthodox, though:
        >
        >CPU: (1) Intel Pentium P55C with MMX 267 MHz
        >Video Board: Chips and Tech. 65555 PCI
        >Video Mode: 1024x768 16bits/pixel
        >RAM: 64 MB
        >OS: Windows 95 4.0.1163 C
        >
        >Rgds, David +

        FWIW

        In the interest of science and otherwise out of curiosity I ran a few tests
        with interesting results.

        I set up a directory with 55 10KB text files and tried to open them in NTP
        in the following manner.

        1. By association - probably loaded a total of 10 to 15 interspersed with
        every error message in Windows 98 much of which had to do with insufficient
        memory, and then the whole system rolled over and died requiring a hard
        boot to recover.

        2. By association again (because I love Booting up)- After the reboot had
        similar results and finally manage to kill NTP before the System died on
        its own - not good results again.

        3. By drag & drop to a desktop Icon - no go here - ACCESS DENIED ERROR MESSAGE

        4. By drag & drop to a Quick launch Icon - no go here - ACCESS DENIED ERROR
        MESSAGE

        5. By drag & drop to a system tray Icon - no go here - NOT ALLOWED

        6. By drag & drop to a NotePro.exe Icon in NoteTab directory - no go here -
        ACCESS DENIED ERROR MESSAGE

        7. By drag & drop to the editor window in an open instance of NTP - WORKED
        PERFECT EVERY TIME!!

        This tells me that if one wants to successfully open multiple files in
        NoteTab Pro then one should drag & drop them onto the editor window in an
        open instance of NTP.

        Regards,

        Jim Hall
        Intel Pentium III-500
        384 MB RAM
        1GB Virtual Memory
        Dual Mirrored 30GB Drives
        32MB Diamond Viper V770 Ultra
        1920 X 1440 x 32 bit
        21" ViewSonic
        IntelliMouse Explorer
        Windows98 First Edition + Upgrades
        Internet Explorer 5.1
        Note Tab Pro 4.82 Registered
        jehall@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
          Hi Jim,

          If you stay under the maximum 255 character commandline (total of
          full path for all files) you should not get those errors in all
          cases mentioned - at least in Pro. You will probably experience
          the same thing from the Run commandline - same difference. I
          believe David might be experiencing some other behavior in Light
          though and I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

          > 1. By association - probably loaded a total of 10 to 15
          > interspersed with every error message in Windows 98 much of
          > which had to do with insufficient memory, and then the whole
          > system rolled over and died requiring a hard boot to recover.

          nite all...

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
            Hello David,

            >I made my comment because on my setup (after invoking 'Replace MS Notepad')
            >I can't get NoteTab to load multiple files at all, regardless of the way the
            >'Multiple Instances' option is configured. Either way, if I select three or
            >four short .TXT files and press Enter (or right-click Open), NoteTab will
            >open only one of the files, after an unduly long pause.

            This is due to the way Windows Explorer is designed. For each file you try
            to open this way, Explorer tries to start a new instance of NoteTab. When
            you do this while there is no open copy of NoteTab, each instance starts
            almost simultaneously and has a hard time determining which copy should
            receive the command line parameters. If you want to open multiple files
            this way, either make sure NoteTab is already open or use the Send To
            command instead. Unlike the "Open" command, Send To only opens a single
            instance of NoteTab and provides all the file names through the command line.

            >Or else it throws up an error message (that white box with 'Close' and
            >'Ignore' buttons) and gets shut down.
            >
            >Interestingly, over different attempts to open the same set of selected
            >files, NoteTab is not consistent about which is the file it decides to open.

            Basically, the Explorer "Open" command was not designed to work with
            programs that enforce single instances. NoteTab just tries to do the best
            it can under the circumstances.

            >If NoteTab happens to be already open, then everything works fine ... but
            >that rather defeats the point of the association!

            Not necessarily. It works fine if you launch NoteTab with a single file, or
            if NoteTab is already open. A large number of users have NoteTab open all
            the time.

            BTW, you can easily set up a "Send To" command by using the Utilities
            Clipbook library. You will find a Clip called "Add SendTo Shortcut" under
            the "NoteTab Shortcuts" section. Double click on it and the shortcut will
            be added.

            Hope this helps.

            Regards,
            Eric Fookes
            -----------
            NoteTab v4.82 available from

          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
              Hi Jim,

              >I set up a directory with 55 10KB text files and tried to open them in NTP
              >in the following manner.
              >
              >1. By association - probably loaded a total of 10 to 15 interspersed with
              >every error message in Windows 98 much of which had to do with insufficient
              >memory, and then the whole system rolled over and died requiring a hard
              >boot to recover.

              See my explanation to David.

              >3. By drag & drop to a desktop Icon - no go here - ACCESS DENIED ERROR MESSAGE
              >
              >4. By drag & drop to a Quick launch Icon - no go here - ACCESS DENIED ERROR
              >MESSAGE
              >
              >6. By drag & drop to a NotePro.exe Icon in NoteTab directory - no go here -
              >ACCESS DENIED ERROR MESSAGE

              This error message is not specific to NoteTab. It is actually displayed by
              Windows, not NoteTab. The reason here is that the command line exceeds the
              Windows command-line length (512 characters). You'll have to blame
              Microsoft for this ridiculous limit.

              >7. By drag & drop to the editor window in an open instance of NTP - WORKED
              >PERFECT EVERY TIME!!

              Yes, because the file names are not sent through the command line, so
              there's no problem with the 512 character limit). Furthermore, Windows does
              not try to open new instances of NoteTab when you use this method.

              >This tells me that if one wants to successfully open multiple files in
              >NoteTab Pro then one should drag & drop them onto the editor window in an
              >open instance of NTP.

              ... or use the Explorer "Sent To" command if you don't have too many files
              to open, or use the File|Open command in NoteTab, or use the Favorites
              menu, or invoke NoteTab through the Windows Start command by specifying the
              files to open through the command line (you can even use wildcards).

              Regards,
              Eric Fookes
              -----------
              NoteTab v4.82 available from

            • David Ash
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
                Wow! Thanks to Jim and Adrian for taking their machines to the edge ... and
                beyond. Relieved to know I Am Not Alone.

                My attempts were with a few short files comfortably within the 255 command
                line limit. Also, another tab-based editor on my machine loads many dozens
                of pre-selected files without complaint. So my original point survives, I
                think, about how far this behaviour should be attributed to a Windows
                limitation.

                Oh, and thanks to Larry and his correspondent Raymond for further light on
                double-clicking.

                David+

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
                  Thanks for the detailed replies, Eric ... my previous message (below) wasn't
                  meant as a confrontational response to your explanations - I did the usual
                  trick of posting without looking.

                  Having said that, and while perfectly recognising what you have to cope with
                  from Windows, may I for a moment play the mindless, ungrateful ignoramus.

                  I have three text editors on my machine: Notepad, (Another)Pad, and
                  NoteTab. Two of them open any number of associated files at the click of a
                  button. One of them doesn't. How are the first two managing the
                  'impossible'?

                  You're probably thinking, what does he mean, "play" the mindless ungrateful
                  etc ...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
                    Hi David,

                    >My attempts were with a few short files comfortably within the 255 command
                    >line limit.

                    The command-line limit does not affect files opened through the Explorer
                    Open command, because each command line only contains the reference of a
                    single file. As I mentioned in my previous message, the limit can become a
                    problem with the Send To command and when you drag-and-drop files to the
                    program icon.

                    >Also, another tab-based editor on my machine loads many dozens
                    >of pre-selected files without complaint. So my original point survives, I
                    >think, about how far this behaviour should be attributed to a Windows
                    >limitation.

                    I'm surprised to hear this. Is that program smaller than NoteTab? Perhaps
                    faster loading programs will encounter less of a problem with the Open feature.

                    Regards,
                    Eric Fookes
                    -----------
                    NoteTab v4.82 available from

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
                      Hi Eric, David, and All,

                      David, I was finally able to test in Standard for you and see
                      identical results as Pro when considering resources. I believe
                      if my tests are accurate which I think they are we can clear
                      NoteTab and point it at Windows and resources.

                      >This error message is not specific to NoteTab. It is actually
                      >displayed by Windows, not NoteTab. The reason here is that the
                      >command line exceeds the Windows command-line length (512
                      >characters). You'll have to blame Microsoft for this ridiculous
                      >limit.

                      I thought it was 255 from one of the long discussions we had in
                      the past on this on this issue, but I believe you when you say
                      512 since you always prove me wrong. ;) From what I have read
                      there appears to be some machine dependent stuff going on,
                      perhaps resources as you mentioned which we know does not
                      mean/equal RAM or resources free as seen below. Here is what it
                      is doing on my machine:

                      In Pro on my Win98SE 350AMD 128MB RAM with Allow Multiple Instances
                      *not* checked:

                      255 from SendTo.
                      255 drag/drop to Win98SE Taskbar.
                      255 from Run. (Appbar)

                      512 with Open until I receive errors - files still attempt open
                      when not that many. Attempting 46 files - 2163 characters I
                      received the errors for a bit and then out of memory (51MB
                      free;).

                      I was able to exceed 512 when double clicking up to about 800 in
                      Windows Explorer before errors started. When I pushed it to 2163
                      (46 files) 34 of the files were opened and then I received a
                      Windows message because I did not have enough memory (52MB free;)

                      512 with Open - Opened as many large apps as I could until all
                      kinds of errors started to occur depending on program with 51MB
                      free memory which clears NoteTab of some reports of errors when
                      opening and claims to plenty of resources. Unable to use Open
                      with under 255 characters - errors and did not open files. Was
                      able to open same with SendTo and Win98 Taskbar no problem.

                      In Standard (Commercial features off), same setup as above:

                      768 characters Double click no problem; 2163 characters No errors,
                      except "Out of Memory" - Windows reporting (86MB Free;)
                      SendTo 255 character limit
                      SendTo 2163 Access denied

                      Drag/drop to Win98 Taskbar - opened 255 in Mailbag - LOL;
                      Rebooted to make new shortcut good. 255 character limit.

                      Open - 512 character limit, but attempts to open more and
                      successful to some point. Opened 2163 character commandline when
                      94MB were free (46 files 496kb total). Get a few errors from
                      NoteTab Std with more than that and Windows but Alt+C closes them
                      and can continue working.

                      Conclusion:
                      Windows is limited.
                      Resources play a big part.

                      Learned neat trick for MailBag Assistant accidently. <g>

                      OE5 now supported in beta testing:
                      http://www.fookes.com/mailbag
                      http://www.fookes.com/beta/

                      Pro still opening files **much** faster even if that were the
                      only reason to register. ;) http://www.notetab.com

                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                      The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                      mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
                      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
                    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
                        Eric wrote:

                        >Basically, the Explorer "Open" command was not designed to work with
                        >programs that enforce single instances. NoteTab just tries to do the best
                        >it can under the circumstances.

                        I am still curious how WinZip handles it. One can select thousands of
                        files, click on the "Add to zip" option that WinZip adds to the
                        explorer context menus, and WinZip goes to work on the files without
                        any trouble. I don't know the details of how it all works, but there
                        doesn't not seem to be any limitations on the number of files that can
                        be selected. Is it possible a future version of NoteTab could use a
                        similar method to avoid the current limitations of Open and SendTo?

                        --
                        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen