The Trouble with Tabs

  • Jason Waugh
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9 11:41 AM
      Using NoteTab Pro:

      I'd like to be able to set up tab stops... the help file implies that this
      is possible in Light and Std by typing multiple tab sizes in the Document
      Properties and separating them with semicolons. I can't type semicolons in
      the Tab Size box in Pro... am I out of luck here?

      Also...

      I'd like to be able to jump to a tab stop..... Smart Tabs is fantastic,
      however, I can't tab around my document without actually inserting a tab in
      the document thereby shifting all characters in that line over. Ctrl-Tab
      has no effect. Shift-Tab has no effect for going backwards, either. If
      there really is no way of doing this, then perhaps it might be a good thing
      to implement in a future version...? (The help files show that Ctrl-Tab
      and Ctrl-Shift-Tab can be used to move around between tab stops, but I'm
      assuming, although the help file doesn't say so, that these keys only work
      in the Light and Std versions that use the different edit control.)

      Thanks,
      Jason Waugh.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9 2:01 PM
        Hi David,

        Welcome to NoteTab and the list. ;)

        >1. When doing plain editing, I get an infuriating dialog box
        >('Open link in browser') whenever I double-click on a word to
        >select it. I assume this is an option I've unwittingly invoked,
        >but where do I disable it?

        Look under Tools and uncheck "Quick Open Links."

        >2. During composition of new HTML documents, the 'View in
        >Browser' facility insists on showing the code as unparsed text.
        >Even if I change the extension of my new file to .htm, the
        >temporary browser file remains 'efo~1.txt' (or whatever). The
        >only way I've found round this is to save the new file and re-
        >open it - no big effort, but is there another way?

        Try using .htm for your default new files:

        Options | File filters | Default extension

        FWIW, my default is .jwa. I pasted a sample HTML file in and it
        was displayed in HTML in IE.

        >3. Just as a comment, I don't really agree with the headline 'Explorer
        >"Open" Command Limits' in the Known Issues page in Help. Here is one task
        >(opening multiple files) which humble Notepad manages quickly and well, and
        >which NoteTab can't do. In all other respects, of course, the two editors
        >can't be mentioned in the same breath.

        I'll so some testing on that...

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9 2:16 PM
          Hi Jason,

          >I'd like to be able to set up tab stops... the help file implies
          >that this is possible in Light and Std by typing multiple tab
          >sizes in the Document Properties and separating them with
          >semicolons. I can't type semicolons in the Tab Size box in
          >Pro... am I out of luck here?

          Multiple tab stops are only available in Std/Light.

          >I'd like to be able to jump to a tab stop..... (The help files
          >show that Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab can be used to move around
          >between tab stops, but I'm assuming, although the help file
          >doesn't say so, that these keys only work in the Light and Std
          >versions that use the different edit control.)

          That is referring to the document tabs below the Toolbar. I do
          not know how to jump to the next tab since it is not documented
          in Help or QuickRef. Strange enough, this is the first time I
          heard somebody ask about it. Perhaps one of the keyboard people
          might know how.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10 1:20 AM
            Hello David,

            >3. Just as a comment, I don't really agree with the headline 'Explorer
            >"Open" Command Limits' in the Known Issues page in Help. Here is one task
            >(opening multiple files) which humble Notepad manages quickly and well, and
            >which NoteTab can't do. In all other respects, of course, the two editors
            >can't be mentioned in the same breath.

            You cannot compare the two programs in this case. For each file that
            Explorer opens, Notepad launches a new instance of itself. NoteTab can do
            this too, if you enable multiple instances. However, Notepad cannot open
            multiple files in a single instance, which is something that NoteTab allows
            by default. The issue that is documented in the Help file concerns the
            method NoteTab uses to send all files to a single instance of itself --
            Notepad cannot do this.

            Regards,
            Eric Fookes
            -----------
            NoteTab v4.82 available from

          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10 5:07 PM
              Hi All,

              At 05:38 PM 08/10/2000 -0500, Raymond Fitzgerald in private mail:
              >Larry, hi!
              >
              >How are ya? I'm so dang busy; waay behind on NoteTab posts. But I did just
              >happen to open and read the latest digest #112. And was thinking that
              >perhaps you might want to clarify one part in your otherwise usual excellent
              >and comprehensive response to David's question:

              >>This is the way NoteTab is set up to start. You can change it by going to
              >>the menu and selecting Tools|Quick Open Links. You will see that Quick Open
              >>Links is checked before you click it and if you select Tools again after you
              >>click it you will see the check mark is gone. This is a toggle to turn it
              >off or on. There is a price to pay for having it off though. You can
              >>double click on a word to select it without the dialog box comming up but
              >>Eric has provided a hyperlink feature that you place text in brackets that
              >>matches something elsewhere in the document or another document and when you
              >>double click on it, NoteTab will jump to that text from the hyperlink. This
              >>feature will not be available if you shut off the Quick Open Links feature.
              >>You should try hyperlinks first to see if you want to use it or give it up.
              >>If you like it, you may decide to give up selecting words with a double
              >>click instead. You can read about hyperlinks in the help file under How
              >>To|Use Web and Document Links. You should also look at the Readme.otl file
              >>that came with the installation to see and try the hyperlinks in it.
              >>This feature will not be available if you shut off the Quick Open Links
              >>feature.

              >The point of clarification being that hyperlink navigation is still
              >available--the price to pay is just having to hold the Ctrl key down while
              >double-clicking. Or the pure keyboard way (Ctrl+H) works the same in either
              >case.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >Ray

              Sorry, this was a missed feature on my part. I may have seen this before
              and known about it but I have always used NoteTab the other way and now it
              is just as if I never knew this and I'm learning it for the first time.
              Probably a sign of Alzheimer's. Ray is correct and that is the way it
              works for me also.

              Thank you for the correction Ray.

              Regards,

              Larry