Re: [NTB] Two Suggestions for Notetab

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
      Hello Jim,

      >Currently, we can hit shift+f4 to put the focus in the contents of an
      >outline document. From this menu, can you give us the ability to press
      >control+x to cut a topic from the list and control + v to paste it in at
      >another location?

      Yes, this should be doable. I'll add your suggestion to the wish list...

      >The next suggestion is this. In blind user mode, are you able to make the
      >clipbook hide when we press control+g to put the focus in the document?
      >This would allow more characters from the document window to appear on
      >braille displays.

      There is actually a feature that lets you hide the Clipbook window whilst
      retaining access to its content. However, there currently isn't a keyboard
      shortcut to do that. You need to use the menu command Tools / Clipbook
      Properties / Hide Clipbook (or ALT+T, R, H).

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.82 available from

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
        Hi Eric,

        ... which I still think should be under the View menu. :-)

        > You need to use the menu command Tools / Clipbook Properties /
        > Hide Clipbook (or ALT+T, R, H).

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Michael Gerholdt
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
          Correction: Pressing F4 twice does this
          the first press of F4 returns focus to the clipbook
          the second closes the clipbook and returns focus to the doc

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
            Hi Michael,

            > Correction: Pressing F4 twice does this
            > the first press of F4 returns focus to the clipbook
            > the second closes the clipbook and returns focus to the doc

            You were right the first time. I don't know what configuration
            would cause you to have to press F4 twice to close the Clipbook.

            There is a difference between Close and Hide though. I have not
            throughly tested it, but I know my Clips will fail, at least
            some of them in the Closed state. They do not in the Hidden
            state. I can access the In-Context menu from both the Closed and
            Hidden states by pressing ESC. When the Clipbook is Closed you
            will see the active Library's button on the Libraries Bar get
            depressed, I suppose going from the Closed to the Hidden state.
            In reference to Hide Help says:

            Hide Clipbook
            Hides the Clipbook window. This gives more space for the document
            window but keeps Clip items accessible through the In-Context
            Clipbook and the "Expand Text" function.

            This is a related snip from the Clipbook Editor section in Help:

            ...you may prefer to hide the Clipbook list so it doesn't clutter
            your desktop. Open the Clipbook shortcut menu and choose Hide
            Clipbook. Just press F4 if you want to make the Clipbook visible
            again. If you close the Clipbook instead of hiding it, you will
            not have access to the feature until you reopen it.

            For those of you who do not know what the In-Context Clipbook is:

            You can invoke the "In-Context Clipbook" by hitting the ESC key
            while you work in a document. Doing so will display a combo box
            (filled with the content of the active Clipbook library) at the
            cursor position. Selecting an item from the combo box will then
            paste the Clip text in your document. Typing in the combo box
            will automatically scroll to the first item matching the
            characters entered. Press ENTER or double-click to confirm your
            choice. You can choose a different Clipbook library by invoking
            the combo box shortcut menu. To cancel the "In-Context Clipbook",
            just hit the ESC key or click with the mouse in another part of
            the editor.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
            mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
              Hi Jody,

              At 04:52 PM 08/02/2000 -0500, you wrote:
              >Hi Michael,
              >
              >> Correction: Pressing F4 twice does this
              >> the first press of F4 returns focus to the clipbook
              >> the second closes the clipbook and returns focus to the doc
              >
              >You were right the first time. I don't know what configuration
              >would cause you to have to press F4 twice to close the Clipbook.

              There is another way to have the cliplibrary hidden besides the Tools menu
              item. If you open the "In-Context" window with escape and one of your
              current library buttons was last active, you will see that button become
              "pushed in". Hidden buttons will not be displayed but any that are beyond
              the right end of the screen will be "pushed in" and scrolled into view. At
              the same time you will see the "In-Context" combo-box open. When you run a
              clip or just press escape again to close the "In-Context" box, the library
              button will stay "pushed-in". If you drop down the Tools|Clipbook
              Properties item, you will see that "Hide Clipbook" is now checked. To
              uncheck it you must 1) select it, 2) click on the "pushed in" library bar
              button to open the clipbook and again to close it or 3) press F4 twice to
              open the clipbook and then close it.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
                Hi Larry,

                > 3) press F4 twice to open the clipbook and then close it.

                I agree with it all, but I cannot make it make me press F4
                twice to open or close the Clipbook. Can you give me the
                steps please. I tried the way you said in the last post,
                but must have missed a point.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
                  Hi Jody,

                  At 05:20 PM 08/02/2000 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Hi Larry,
                  >
                  >> 3) press F4 twice to open the clipbook and then close it.
                  >
                  >I agree with it all, but I cannot make it make me press F4
                  >twice to open or close the Clipbook. Can you give me the
                  >steps please. I tried the way you said in the last post,
                  >but must have missed a point.

                  If I understand you correctly, you are saying connot do one or the other by
                  pressing F4 twice. That is correct for me also. What I was describing was
                  turning off the "Hide Clipbook" feature by first opening and then closing
                  the clipbook.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  larryt@...