Stuck URLs

  • caitlin@whitewatervoyages.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2000
      I am having problems with pages not accepting changes in URL
      addresses. I had a page which was
      http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/directions.html that had
      bunch of links under the folder "caitlin." For example, I had one
      link
      that read
      http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/caitlin/cherryrendezvous.html and I
      needed to change the folder "caitlin" to "directions." When I changed
      all the links (and I used no shortcuts to make absolutely sure), the
      directions.html page would still only go to "caitlin." In other
      words,
      it kept the old links and refused the new ones. When I changed the
      name of the page "directions.html" to "directionsindex.html" it
      accepted the new links.

      This should have been good. However, there was another page that
      linked to directions.html that refused the new name
      directionsindex.html and is now stuck.

      Why do these pages keep using the old URL and will only accept the
      new
      link if I change the name of the page?

      Thanks,
      Caitlin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24, 2000
        Hi Caitlin,

        I am not sure what you are saying. Are you doing a search and
        replace in NoteTab and is that what you are saying is not
        changing. Is the problem at the server level or is a refresh
        needed in your browser so that you are looking at the new upload?
        Could you be linking to page from an old shortcut?

        > I am having problems with pages not accepting changes in URL
        > addresses. I had a page which was
        > http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/directions.html
        > that had
        > bunch of links under the folder "caitlin." For example, I had
        > one link that read
        > http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/caitlin/cherryrendezvous.html
        > and I needed to change the folder "caitlin" to "directions."
        > When I changed all the links (and I used no shortcuts to make
        > absolutely sure), the directions.html page would still only go
        > to "caitlin."

        Happy HTML'n!
        Jody

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • caitlin@whitewatervoyages.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 25, 2000
          Okay. I will try to explain a little more clearly using just one
          example.

          I had a page called
          http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/directions.html. It had a
          link to
          http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/caitlin/cherryrendezvous.html. I
          changed that page's name (and folder) to
          http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/cherryrendezvous.html.
          After replacing the link in directions.html (I put the whole link in
          the script, reading
          http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/cherryrendezvous.html
          instead of something like cherryrendezvous.html; actually I tried
          both and neither worked), refreshing and reloading several times on
          the server, directions.html would still only accept the old link,
          sending the browser to
          www.whitewatervoyages.com/caitlin/cherryrendezvous.html, even though
          it no longer existed and was written up in the html text to go to
          directions/cherryrendezvous.html and the appropriate page had been
          moved to the appropriate folder.

          When I renamed directions.html to directionsindex.html, the link to
          cherryrendezvous.html worked. In other words, technically in the
          script of the page, everything was correct to support the new link,
          but for some reason directions.html had to be renamed and recognized
          as an entirely new page to accept the link. It was no problem to
          change directions.html to directionsindex.html, but a link to
          directions.html also existed in a page called planning.html, and this
          time, planning.html would not change the link directions.html to
          directionsindex.html. I suspect that this is the exact same problem
          since I went through the same comprehensive procedures as above, but
          there is no way I can change the name of planning.html as I would
          have
          to rework the entire site which is huge!

          In summary, there are no errors in the html script. The server does
          not need to be refreshed or reloaded. For some reason, the page has
          be renamed in order to accept the changed link. I don't understand
          why!

          Thank you!
          Caitlin

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 25, 2000
            Hi Caitlin,

            >http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/cherryrendezvous.html

            > In summary, there are no errors in the html script. The server
            > does not need to be refreshed or reloaded. For some reason, the
            > page has to be renamed in order to accept the changed link. I
            > don't understand why!

            Neither do I, except to say something is hosed on the
            server/browser if everything is written correctly. Perhaps you
            could post to the NoteTab & HTML list with links for them to look
            at. See below.

            Happy HTML'n!
            Jody

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          • David L Hansen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 25, 2000
              This may sound strange, but here goes.
              Your Internet Service Provider may cache web sites. This may cause you to
              have this problem. New pages have not been cached and won't do this to you,
              but old pages could have this effect. I would have someone else try your
              page and see what happens.

              I once moved a web site from one web host to another and my new pages did
              not show up for a week or two.

              David L Hansen
              dhansen@...
              630.963.6849
              All of your computing needs!
              http://www.handtech.com/thc
              Start your own Computer Consulting Business
              http://www.handteam.com/thc

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 26, 2000
                David-

                I have tried to access the page on other computers, and the same
                thing
                happens. I think it's certainly SOME kind of problem with the cache,
                but why would that make the link not change? I just tried creating a
                new page for directions.html that would send people to
                directionsindex.html, and it still sent the browser to the old
                directions.html, which is completely deleted by now!

                Do you know how I can pull those little babies out of the cache? Or
                do
                you think it will take a while? It's already been a couple of weeks
                since I changed the page.

                Thanks!
                Caitlin

                ------

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 26, 2000
                  Hi Caitlin & David,

                  Could you all please take this thread to the NoteTab and HTML
                  list, see below, (or private eMail) and also delete the parts of
                  the posts that are not needed to understand your reply. Thanks
                  much!

                  > I have tried to access the page on other computers, and the
                  > same thing happens. I think it's certainly SOME kind of problem
                  > with the cache, but why would that make the link not change?

                  Happy HTML'n!
                  Jody

                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                  The NoteTab and Html List...
                  mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                • phy2_99
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003
                    [edited by moderator to delete excessive quoting]

                    Did anyone actually solve this problem I have the exact same
                    problem. I have just upgraded to Broadband I wonder if that makes
                    any difference, I updated a page then hours later it eventually
                    refreshed. do you thin the problem is with my ISP and is tere any
                    way around it other than to wait until the ISP clears their cache.

                    regards

                    Philip Rickwood

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003
                      Hi Philip,

                      I don't know, but you might have better luck on the HTML list.
                      Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

                      >Did anyone actually solve this problem I have the exact same
                      >problem. I have just upgraded to Broadband I wonder if that makes
                      >any difference, I updated a page then hours later it eventually
                      >refreshed. do you thin the problem is with my ISP and is tere any
                      >way around it other than to wait until the ISP clears their cache.
                      >
                      >regards
                      >
                      >Philip Rickwood
                      >
                      >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, caitlin@w... wrote:
                      >> David-
                      >>
                      >> I have tried to access the page on other computers, and the
                      >> same thing happens. I think it's certainly SOME kind of problem
                      >> with the cache, but why would that make the link not change? I
                      >> just tried creating a new page for directions.html that would
                      >> send people to directionsindex.html, and it still sent the
                      >> browser to the old directions.html, which is completely deleted
                      >> by now!
                      >>
                      >> Do you know how I can pull those little babies out of the
                      >> cache? Or do you think it will take a while? It's already been
                      >> a couple of weeks since I changed the page.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks!
                      >> Caitlin
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Happy html'n!