Re: [NTB] Loss of outline pages

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 4, 2000
      Hi Larry:

      I like your idea regarding incremental backups.

      Paul K.

      At 10:33 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

      >Hi Paul,
      >
      >At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
      > >Thanks Larry:
      > >
      > >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
      > >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
      > >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
      > >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
      > >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
      > >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
      > >
      > >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
      > >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
      > >
      > >Paul King
      >

      >You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.
      >
      >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
      >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
      >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".

      I have had the .bak extension here since acquiring ntp. But
      your suggestion makes more sense, especially for those
      files requiring frequent editing, I also print these out from
      time to time and move the copies along by snail mail. More
      and more, however, the text travels by email.

      >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
      >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
      >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
      >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
      >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
      >Myoutline.002otl and so forth.

      This is especially appropriate for my outline files. Many tasks
      I formerly performed in WordPerfect I now perform in ntp
      because of its speed and flexibility. Note Tab Pro has nearly
      all of the functions I need for editing text.

      > You can write a clip or a batch file to
      >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
      >it when you want to do this, but in the mean time, you will have a copy
      >among these backup files that you can recover lost text from.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Larry
      >larryt@...
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 4, 2000
        Paul, Larry and all,

        >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
        >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
        >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
        >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
        >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
        >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
        >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
        >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
        >Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
        >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
        >it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
        >amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

        FWIW
        Though this thread hasn't quite gotten there yet,it is getting close so
        just a reminder in case you didn't see the past post regarding "UNDO AFTER
        SAVE" with "AUTOSAVE TURNED ON". For some reason an autosave dumps the undo
        list in 4.82. Eric is aware of this and it is on the list to be fixed. Just
        be aware if you are working on something critical that it might be better
        not to depend on the autosave option. Instead Manual Incremental Saves as
        Larry has cited will be a lot safer.

        Regards,

        Jim