Re: [NTB] Loss of outline pages

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 3 4:07 PM
      At 04:44 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

      >Hi Paul and Dave,
      >
      >At 12:11 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
      > >Hi Dave:
      > >
      > >I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
      > >I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
      > >it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
      > >The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
      > >of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
      > >is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
      > >it still exists.
      >
      > >Thanks,
      > >Paul King
      >
      >There are several ways to lose and recover text and files in NoteTab. In
      >the case of simply deleting the whole file, NoteTab does in fact send it to
      >the recycle bin and you can recover it from there. In the case of deleting
      >text from within a file but not the file itself as you did with your
      >outline, there are two possible options.
      >
      >A) If you have not saved the file after deleting the text and the text was
      >in the original file when you opened it, you can reload the file to recover
      >the text.
      >
      >B) If (1) you have set the undo option to "Undo after Save" and (2) you
      >have not deleted an amount of text that is larger than undo can handle and
      >(3) you have not terminated NoteTab and then restarted it (which will clear
      >the undo option) then you can undo it. Undo has a history list and if you
      >have made several text changes but they are not too large for this function
      >then you can undo them one at a time starting with the last change you made
      >and progressively using undo to reverse the previous ones going from the
      >last change to the first one you made.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Larry
      >larryt@...

      Thanks Larry:

      It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
      which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
      for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
      examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
      out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
      reference. Same for your tips on outline text.

      Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
      suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.

      Paul King
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3 8:33 PM
        Hi Paul,

        At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
        >Thanks Larry:
        >
        >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
        >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
        >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
        >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
        >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
        >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
        >
        >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
        >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
        >
        >Paul King

        You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.

        A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
        View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
        and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
        Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
        the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
        Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
        file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
        another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
        Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
        periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
        it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
        amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • Paul King
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 4 2:38 PM
          Hi Larry:

          I like your idea regarding incremental backups.

          Paul K.

          At 10:33 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

          >Hi Paul,
          >
          >At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
          > >Thanks Larry:
          > >
          > >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
          > >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
          > >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
          > >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
          > >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
          > >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
          > >
          > >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
          > >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
          > >
          > >Paul King
          >

          >You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.
          >
          >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
          >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
          >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".

          I have had the .bak extension here since acquiring ntp. But
          your suggestion makes more sense, especially for those
          files requiring frequent editing, I also print these out from
          time to time and move the copies along by snail mail. More
          and more, however, the text travels by email.

          >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
          >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
          >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
          >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
          >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
          >Myoutline.002otl and so forth.

          This is especially appropriate for my outline files. Many tasks
          I formerly performed in WordPerfect I now perform in ntp
          because of its speed and flexibility. Note Tab Pro has nearly
          all of the functions I need for editing text.

          > You can write a clip or a batch file to
          >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
          >it when you want to do this, but in the mean time, you will have a copy
          >among these backup files that you can recover lost text from.
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Larry
          >larryt@...
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 4 6:13 PM
            Paul, Larry and all,

            >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
            >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
            >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
            >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
            >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
            >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
            >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
            >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
            >Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
            >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
            >it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
            >amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

            FWIW
            Though this thread hasn't quite gotten there yet,it is getting close so
            just a reminder in case you didn't see the past post regarding "UNDO AFTER
            SAVE" with "AUTOSAVE TURNED ON". For some reason an autosave dumps the undo
            list in 4.82. Eric is aware of this and it is on the list to be fixed. Just
            be aware if you are working on something critical that it might be better
            not to depend on the autosave option. Instead Manual Incremental Saves as
            Larry has cited will be a lot safer.

            Regards,

            Jim