Re: [NTB] Re: Loss of outline pages

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
      At 12:14 AM 7/3/00 -0500, Jody wrote:
      >Hi Paul,
      >
      >NoteTab does not delete the Heading as you probably figured, but
      >simply hides it from the Topic content pane until Show Headings
      >it clicked again. You will notice when you have Show Headings
      >off that and Edit Heading appears on the menu, but when Headings
      >are showing it is not there. That is because you edit the
      >heading in the Topic pane when it is in there.
      >
      >I deleted a few a couple years ago like you did myself. <g>

      Hi Jody and listees:

      Hide is indeed the operative word, not delete. But you see I
      was targeting the header for deletion because I didn't want it
      in the printed copy. By following this path, I ended up deleting
      the entire text by mistake and went too far to undo the command.
      And I erroneously blamed my mistake on the Print command.

      PK
    • David McIntosh
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
        Hi Paul
        Have you checked the recycle bin.
        thankyou dave

        Paul King wrote:

        > Hi Jody:
        >
        > I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus
        > the heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover
        > my loss. Any hope?
        >
        > As I recall, I was queried whether I wanted to print the
        > specific heading or the the entire outline file. I chose
        > the specific heading.
        >
        > Then I was asked another question and apparently made
        > the wrong choice. This a new error for me, thus pushing
        > up my grand total to a new high. 8--(
        >
        > Paul King

        > Challenged with e-Business quality management? Register for a free
        > Webinar featuring e-business testing and performance experts.
      • Paul King
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
          At 11:31 PM 7/3/00 +1000, you wrote:
          >Hi Paul
          >Have you checked the recycle bin.
          > thankyou dave
          >
          >Paul King wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Jody:
          > >
          > > I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus
          > > the heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover
          > > my loss. Any hope?
          > >
          > > Paul King

          Hi Dave:

          I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
          I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
          it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
          The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
          of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
          is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
          it still exists.

          If I have this wrong, I'm sure it will be corrected immediately
          by more than one person on the list. If you have been following
          this thread, you can see how I discovered the cause of my loss.
          It was a puzzling (and thoughtless) mistake on my part,

          Thanks,
          Paul King
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
            Hi Paul and Dave,

            At 12:11 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
            >Hi Dave:
            >
            >I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
            >I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
            >it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
            >The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
            >of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
            >is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
            >it still exists.
            >
            >If I have this wrong, I'm sure it will be corrected immediately
            >by more than one person on the list. If you have been following
            >this thread, you can see how I discovered the cause of my loss.
            >It was a puzzling (and thoughtless) mistake on my part,
            >
            >Thanks,
            >Paul King

            There are several ways to lose and recover text and files in NoteTab. In
            the case of simply deleting the whole file, NoteTab does in fact send it to
            the recycle bin and you can recover it from there. In the case of deleting
            text from within a file but not the file itself as you did with your
            outline, there are two possible options.

            A) If you have not saved the file after deleting the text and the text was
            in the original file when you opened it, you can reload the file to recover
            the text.

            B) If (1) you have set the undo option to "Undo after Save" and (2) you
            have not deleted an amount of text that is larger than undo can handle and
            (3) you have not terminated NoteTab and then restarted it (which will clear
            the undo option) then you can undo it. Undo has a history list and if you
            have made several text changes but they are not too large for this function
            then you can undo them one at a time starting with the last change you made
            and progressively using undo to reverse the previous ones going from the
            last change to the first one you made.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
          • Paul King
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
              At 04:44 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

              >Hi Paul and Dave,
              >
              >At 12:11 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
              > >Hi Dave:
              > >
              > >I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
              > >I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
              > >it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
              > >The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
              > >of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
              > >is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
              > >it still exists.
              >
              > >Thanks,
              > >Paul King
              >
              >There are several ways to lose and recover text and files in NoteTab. In
              >the case of simply deleting the whole file, NoteTab does in fact send it to
              >the recycle bin and you can recover it from there. In the case of deleting
              >text from within a file but not the file itself as you did with your
              >outline, there are two possible options.
              >
              >A) If you have not saved the file after deleting the text and the text was
              >in the original file when you opened it, you can reload the file to recover
              >the text.
              >
              >B) If (1) you have set the undo option to "Undo after Save" and (2) you
              >have not deleted an amount of text that is larger than undo can handle and
              >(3) you have not terminated NoteTab and then restarted it (which will clear
              >the undo option) then you can undo it. Undo has a history list and if you
              >have made several text changes but they are not too large for this function
              >then you can undo them one at a time starting with the last change you made
              >and progressively using undo to reverse the previous ones going from the
              >last change to the first one you made.
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Larry
              >larryt@...

              Thanks Larry:

              It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
              which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
              for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
              examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
              out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
              reference. Same for your tips on outline text.

              Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
              suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.

              Paul King
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
                Hi Paul,

                At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                >Thanks Larry:
                >
                >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
                >
                >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
                >
                >Paul King

                You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.

                A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
                Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
                periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...
              • Paul King
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 4, 2000
                  Hi Larry:

                  I like your idea regarding incremental backups.

                  Paul K.

                  At 10:33 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

                  >Hi Paul,
                  >
                  >At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                  > >Thanks Larry:
                  > >
                  > >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                  > >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                  > >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                  > >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                  > >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                  > >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
                  > >
                  > >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                  > >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
                  > >
                  > >Paul King
                  >

                  >You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.
                  >
                  >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                  >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                  >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".

                  I have had the .bak extension here since acquiring ntp. But
                  your suggestion makes more sense, especially for those
                  files requiring frequent editing, I also print these out from
                  time to time and move the copies along by snail mail. More
                  and more, however, the text travels by email.

                  >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                  >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                  >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                  >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                  >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                  >Myoutline.002otl and so forth.

                  This is especially appropriate for my outline files. Many tasks
                  I formerly performed in WordPerfect I now perform in ntp
                  because of its speed and flexibility. Note Tab Pro has nearly
                  all of the functions I need for editing text.

                  > You can write a clip or a batch file to
                  >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                  >it when you want to do this, but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                  >among these backup files that you can recover lost text from.
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >
                  >Larry
                  >larryt@...
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 4, 2000
                    Paul, Larry and all,

                    >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                    >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                    >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
                    >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                    >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                    >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                    >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                    >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                    >Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
                    >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                    >it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                    >amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

                    FWIW
                    Though this thread hasn't quite gotten there yet,it is getting close so
                    just a reminder in case you didn't see the past post regarding "UNDO AFTER
                    SAVE" with "AUTOSAVE TURNED ON". For some reason an autosave dumps the undo
                    list in 4.82. Eric is aware of this and it is on the list to be fixed. Just
                    be aware if you are working on something critical that it might be better
                    not to depend on the autosave option. Instead Manual Incremental Saves as
                    Larry has cited will be a lot safer.

                    Regards,

                    Jim