Re: Loss of outline pages

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2, 2000
      Hi Listees:

      I have found my error which resulted in the loss of
      some outline text and here suggest a way of avoiding
      my mistake.

      It involves the Show Headings command and has nothing
      to do with printing or the Print dialog box.

      When outline files are active, outline headers appear in
      the left pane with the current topic text one is editing in
      the right pane.

      In my case, a heading appeared at the top of the current
      topic pane. I wanted to remove the heading, but was not
      aware that right clicking in the header pane would activate
      a menu box where I could make this happen.

      Show Heading, the bottom command in this menu
      box, is a toggle switch. Checking it will cause the heading
      to appear in the current topic pane. Unchecking it will delete
      the heading in the current topic pane.

      Instead of doing this, I highlighted the header in the current
      topic pane and hit the delete button. The heading vanished.
      Then I attempted to close the document and got a new dialog
      box: Confirm changes to the file with a yes/no choice.

      When I selected yes, a new Confirm dialog box appeared asking
      if I really meant to remove this file. Again I clicked yes and poof
      went my file. I have confirmed the result twice by repeating these
      steps with a test file.

      The moral is: be alert. Do not attempt to remove a header in the
      current topic pane by highlighting and deleting it. If you do, say
      Sayonara to your current topic file.

      Paul King
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2000
        Hi Paul,

        > When outline files are active, outline headers appear in the
        > left pane with the current topic text one is editing in the
        > right pane.
        >
        > In my case, a heading appeared at the top of the current topic
        > pane. I wanted to remove the heading, but was not aware that
        > right clicking in the header pane would activate a menu box
        > where I could make this happen.
        >
        > Show Heading, the bottom command in this menu box, is a toggle
        > switch. Checking it will cause the heading to appear in the
        > current topic pane. Unchecking it will delete the heading in
        > the current topic pane.

        I am sure glad you figured it out! It would be many moons till I
        guessed at what happened. ;) About your last sentence above:
        NoteTab does not delete the Heading as you probably figured, but
        simply hides it from the Topic content pane until Show Headings
        it clicked again. You will notice when you have Show Headings
        off that and Edit Heading appears on the menu, but when Headings
        are showing it is not there. That is because you edit the
        heading in the Topic pane when it is in there.

        I deleted a few a couple years ago like you did myself. <g>

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Paul King
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
          At 12:14 AM 7/3/00 -0500, Jody wrote:
          >Hi Paul,
          >
          >NoteTab does not delete the Heading as you probably figured, but
          >simply hides it from the Topic content pane until Show Headings
          >it clicked again. You will notice when you have Show Headings
          >off that and Edit Heading appears on the menu, but when Headings
          >are showing it is not there. That is because you edit the
          >heading in the Topic pane when it is in there.
          >
          >I deleted a few a couple years ago like you did myself. <g>

          Hi Jody and listees:

          Hide is indeed the operative word, not delete. But you see I
          was targeting the header for deletion because I didn't want it
          in the printed copy. By following this path, I ended up deleting
          the entire text by mistake and went too far to undo the command.
          And I erroneously blamed my mistake on the Print command.

          PK
        • David McIntosh
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
            Hi Paul
            Have you checked the recycle bin.
            thankyou dave

            Paul King wrote:

            > Hi Jody:
            >
            > I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus
            > the heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover
            > my loss. Any hope?
            >
            > As I recall, I was queried whether I wanted to print the
            > specific heading or the the entire outline file. I chose
            > the specific heading.
            >
            > Then I was asked another question and apparently made
            > the wrong choice. This a new error for me, thus pushing
            > up my grand total to a new high. 8--(
            >
            > Paul King

            > Challenged with e-Business quality management? Register for a free
            > Webinar featuring e-business testing and performance experts.
          • Paul King
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
              At 11:31 PM 7/3/00 +1000, you wrote:
              >Hi Paul
              >Have you checked the recycle bin.
              > thankyou dave
              >
              >Paul King wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Jody:
              > >
              > > I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus
              > > the heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover
              > > my loss. Any hope?
              > >
              > > Paul King

              Hi Dave:

              I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
              I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
              it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
              The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
              of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
              is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
              it still exists.

              If I have this wrong, I'm sure it will be corrected immediately
              by more than one person on the list. If you have been following
              this thread, you can see how I discovered the cause of my loss.
              It was a puzzling (and thoughtless) mistake on my part,

              Thanks,
              Paul King
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
                Hi Paul and Dave,

                At 12:11 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                >Hi Dave:
                >
                >I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
                >I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
                >it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
                >The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
                >of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
                >is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
                >it still exists.
                >
                >If I have this wrong, I'm sure it will be corrected immediately
                >by more than one person on the list. If you have been following
                >this thread, you can see how I discovered the cause of my loss.
                >It was a puzzling (and thoughtless) mistake on my part,
                >
                >Thanks,
                >Paul King

                There are several ways to lose and recover text and files in NoteTab. In
                the case of simply deleting the whole file, NoteTab does in fact send it to
                the recycle bin and you can recover it from there. In the case of deleting
                text from within a file but not the file itself as you did with your
                outline, there are two possible options.

                A) If you have not saved the file after deleting the text and the text was
                in the original file when you opened it, you can reload the file to recover
                the text.

                B) If (1) you have set the undo option to "Undo after Save" and (2) you
                have not deleted an amount of text that is larger than undo can handle and
                (3) you have not terminated NoteTab and then restarted it (which will clear
                the undo option) then you can undo it. Undo has a history list and if you
                have made several text changes but they are not too large for this function
                then you can undo them one at a time starting with the last change you made
                and progressively using undo to reverse the previous ones going from the
                last change to the first one you made.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...
              • Paul King
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
                  At 04:44 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

                  >Hi Paul and Dave,
                  >
                  >At 12:11 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                  > >Hi Dave:
                  > >
                  > >I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
                  > >I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
                  > >it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
                  > >The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
                  > >of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
                  > >is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
                  > >it still exists.
                  >
                  > >Thanks,
                  > >Paul King
                  >
                  >There are several ways to lose and recover text and files in NoteTab. In
                  >the case of simply deleting the whole file, NoteTab does in fact send it to
                  >the recycle bin and you can recover it from there. In the case of deleting
                  >text from within a file but not the file itself as you did with your
                  >outline, there are two possible options.
                  >
                  >A) If you have not saved the file after deleting the text and the text was
                  >in the original file when you opened it, you can reload the file to recover
                  >the text.
                  >
                  >B) If (1) you have set the undo option to "Undo after Save" and (2) you
                  >have not deleted an amount of text that is larger than undo can handle and
                  >(3) you have not terminated NoteTab and then restarted it (which will clear
                  >the undo option) then you can undo it. Undo has a history list and if you
                  >have made several text changes but they are not too large for this function
                  >then you can undo them one at a time starting with the last change you made
                  >and progressively using undo to reverse the previous ones going from the
                  >last change to the first one you made.
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >
                  >Larry
                  >larryt@...

                  Thanks Larry:

                  It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                  which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                  for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                  examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                  out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                  reference. Same for your tips on outline text.

                  Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                  suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.

                  Paul King
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 3, 2000
                    Hi Paul,

                    At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Thanks Larry:
                    >
                    >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                    >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                    >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                    >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                    >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                    >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
                    >
                    >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                    >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
                    >
                    >Paul King

                    You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.

                    A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                    View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                    and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
                    Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                    the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                    Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                    file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                    another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                    Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
                    periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                    it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                    amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    larryt@...
                  • Paul King
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 4, 2000
                      Hi Larry:

                      I like your idea regarding incremental backups.

                      Paul K.

                      At 10:33 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

                      >Hi Paul,
                      >
                      >At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                      > >Thanks Larry:
                      > >
                      > >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                      > >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                      > >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                      > >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                      > >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                      > >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
                      > >
                      > >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                      > >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
                      > >
                      > >Paul King
                      >

                      >You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.
                      >
                      >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                      >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                      >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".

                      I have had the .bak extension here since acquiring ntp. But
                      your suggestion makes more sense, especially for those
                      files requiring frequent editing, I also print these out from
                      time to time and move the copies along by snail mail. More
                      and more, however, the text travels by email.

                      >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                      >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                      >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                      >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                      >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                      >Myoutline.002otl and so forth.

                      This is especially appropriate for my outline files. Many tasks
                      I formerly performed in WordPerfect I now perform in ntp
                      because of its speed and flexibility. Note Tab Pro has nearly
                      all of the functions I need for editing text.

                      > You can write a clip or a batch file to
                      >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                      >it when you want to do this, but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                      >among these backup files that you can recover lost text from.
                      >
                      >Regards,
                      >
                      >Larry
                      >larryt@...
                    • Jim Hall
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 4, 2000
                        Paul, Larry and all,

                        >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                        >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                        >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
                        >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                        >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                        >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                        >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                        >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                        >Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
                        >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                        >it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                        >amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

                        FWIW
                        Though this thread hasn't quite gotten there yet,it is getting close so
                        just a reminder in case you didn't see the past post regarding "UNDO AFTER
                        SAVE" with "AUTOSAVE TURNED ON". For some reason an autosave dumps the undo
                        list in 4.82. Eric is aware of this and it is on the list to be fixed. Just
                        be aware if you are working on something critical that it might be better
                        not to depend on the autosave option. Instead Manual Incremental Saves as
                        Larry has cited will be a lot safer.

                        Regards,

                        Jim