Loss of outline pages

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1 9:17 AM
      Hi Jody:

      I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus
      the heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover
      my loss. Any hope?

      As I recall, I was queried whether I wanted to print the
      specific heading or the the entire outline file. I chose
      the specific heading.

      Then I was asked another question and apparently made
      the wrong choice. This a new error for me, thus pushing
      up my grand total to a new high. 8--(

      Paul King
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1 11:13 AM
        Hi Paul,

        > Hi Jody:

        If you address your posts to everybody, you might get an answer
        faster although most of us don't have any problem ignoring to who
        the post is addressed to. :) That is what group discussion lists
        are all about.

        > I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus the
        > heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover my loss. Any
        > hope?

        I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. If you cannot find the
        Topic because the Outline is very large, type in some of the text
        from your hard copy in the Find dialog to get back to it. To
        print the pages that were missed print the Topic again, but this
        time when the print dialog comes up click on Pages the enter the
        To and From page numbers.

        > As I recall, I was queried whether I wanted to print the
        > specific heading or the the entire outline file. I chose the
        > specific heading....Then I was asked another question and
        > apparently made the wrong choice.

        When you answer the Print whole Outline question the Print dialog
        comes up next. There are a number of options to choose from
        there including printing only printing from a certain page to a
        certain page. Perhaps you clicked on Pages and left the From
        empty. There are a number of reasons why some pages weren't
        printed.

        > Rehi:

        ReHi 2 U 2. ;)

        > I am also seeing the heading at the top of printed text in
        > outlines, a phenomenon which just appeared after my error. Can
        > I turn this feature off?

        See the Others tab in the Print dialog while you are there. Look
        under Header and choose None.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Paul King
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1 11:48 AM
          At 01:13 PM 7/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Paul,
          >
          > > Hi Jody:
          >
          >If you address your posts to everybody, you might get an answer
          >faster although most of us don't have any problem ignoring to who
          >the post is addressed to. :) That is what group discussion lists
          >are all about.

          Hi Jody:

          You are generally correct with the wet noodle, but not this
          time. Both messages went to the NTB list.

          PK
        • Paul King
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1 12:57 PM
            Hi Jody and all:

            I am restating my problem to make it more understandable.

            I have just lost four pages from a current topic I
            have hard copy, but wish to recover my loss. Any
            hope?

            As I recall, ntp asked whether I wanted to print the
            current topic or the the entire outline file. I chose
            current topic.

            I am unable to duplicate my subsequent error. I fail
            to find in Help any reference to printing options for
            Outline files.

            Paul King

            On July 1, Jody wrote:
            I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. If you cannot find the
            Topic because the Outline is very large, type in some of the text
            from your hard copy in the Find dialog to get back to it.

            Using Find failed to produce my copy. PK

            To print the pages that were missed print the Topic again, but this
            time when the print dialog comes up click on Pages then enter the
            To and From page numbers.

            I never saw a dialog with more than two options
            nor can I make one appear. PK

            When you answer the Print whole Outline question the Print dialog
            comes up next.

            I'm unable to make this happen. PK
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1 2:04 PM
              Hi Paul,

              > I have just lost four pages from a current topic I have hard
              > copy, but wish to recover my loss. Any hope?

              If they are no longer there and you do not have a backup, then
              there is no hope. If you are still sitting there though waiting
              for an answer before you close the Outline, just close it without
              saving (unless you have Auto-save turned on). If by some chance
              you did not close the file yet, see if you can use the Undo tool.
              A few things could have caused text to be deleted, but I haven't
              heard of NoteTab doing it and it has never happened to me except
              on rare occasion during beta testing, but it was fixed.

              > As I recall, ntp asked whether I wanted to print the current
              > topic or the the entire outline file. I chose current topic.

              OK.

              > I am unable to duplicate my subsequent error. I fail to find in
              > Help any reference to printing options for Outline files.

              Once you answer the Topic/whole Outline question the options are
              the same.

              > Using Find failed to produce my copy.

              Try again and make sure you type in the search criteria correctly
              and do not cross over hard line breaks if they are in the document.
              It can be done easily in the search, but let's don't confuse things.

              You said in your first post:

              "As I recall, I was queried whether I wanted to print the specific
              heading or the the entire outline file....Then I was asked
              another question and apparently made the wrong choice."

              The second question was probably the Print dialog.

              Do this. Open an Outline or focus one. Press Ctrl+P, use your
              Print icon, or choose File | Print...

              At the time you will see your Topic or whole Outline question.
              Next, the Print dialog should come up with your print options.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 1 6:36 PM
                Hi Jody:

                At 04:04 PM 7/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Paul,
                >
                > > I have just lost four pages from a current topic I have hard
                > > copy, but wish to recover my loss. Any hope?
                >
                >If they are no longer there and you do not have a backup, then
                >there is no hope. If you are still sitting there though waiting
                >for an answer before you close the Outline, just close it without
                >saving (unless you have Auto-save turned on). If by some chance
                >you did not close the file yet, see if you can use the Undo tool.
                >A few things could have caused text to be deleted, but I haven't
                >heard of NoteTab doing it and it has never happened to me except
                >on rare occasion during beta testing, but it was fixed.

                I am resigned to the loss of the text and that is really
                of little concern to me. My real need is to avoid repetition
                of my error. If outline files are touchy and unreliable, I
                will move my outline files elsewhere. I keep running files
                here, subject to periodic editing and periodic snail mail
                deadlines. Until now, I have no complaints about outline
                files.

                You have several times mentioned the large and prominent
                Print dialog box which does not figure at all in the error
                that caused my problem. I never saw it when the text
                vanished, but would have recognized it had it been there.

                I think we are communicating imperfectly here, Jody, but I
                thank you for the tips you have given me. I am responsible
                for failing to render a complete and lucid description of what
                I was doing and what I saw.

                > > As I recall, ntp asked whether I wanted to print the current
                > > topic or the the entire outline file. I chose current topic.
                >
                >OK.

                The language in this dialog box could be improved.
                It asks for a positive answer to print the entire outline
                and a negative answer to print only the current topic.

                > > I am unable to duplicate my subsequent error. I fail to find in
                > > Help any reference to printing options for Outline files.
                >
                >Once you answer the Topic/whole Outline question the options are
                >the same.
                Sorry about that. I read your comments to mean there were
                options specific to outline files in a separate dialog box, not
                a part of the familiar, large Print dialog box with four tabs along
                the top.

                You said in your first post:

                >"As I recall, I was queried whether I wanted to print the specific
                >heading or the the entire outline file....Then I was asked
                >another question and apparently made the wrong choice."

                I have failed to explain clearly that these choices
                came in successive boxes, not the same dialog box.
                Each offered me two and only two choices.

                >The second question was probably the Print dialog.
                >
                >Do this. Open an Outline or focus one. Press Ctrl+P, use your
                >Print icon, or choose File | Print...
                >
                >At the time you will see your Topic or whole Outline question.
                >Next, the Print dialog should come up with your print options.
                >
                >Happy NoteTab'n,
                >Jody Adair

                I think we have just about squeezed all the juice out of this one.
                I'll post (to the whole list and especially Jody) again only if the
                error reoccurs.

                Paul King
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 1 7:21 PM
                  Hi Paul,

                  > If outline files are touchy and unreliable, I will move my
                  > outline files elsewhere. I keep running files here, subject to
                  > periodic editing and periodic snail mail deadlines. Until now,
                  > I have no complaints about outline files.

                  They are not unreliable.

                  > The language in this dialog box could be improved. It asks for
                  > a positive answer to print the entire outline and a negative
                  > answer to print only the current topic.

                  That has been mentioned a number of times. Using the same dialog
                  with the Yes/No buttons, how would you word it. To make a new box
                  for it would be added bloat for no really good reason. It is
                  clearly stated on what to answer even though it is a bit awkward
                  pressing No and still getting a result other than ending. :)

                  > Sorry about that. I read your comments to mean there were
                  > options specific to outline files in a separate dialog box, not
                  > a part of the familiar, large Print dialog box with four tabs
                  > along the top.

                  Once you answer the Yes/No question everything is the same as
                  printing a regular document. The only reason for the Yes/No
                  question is to give you the option of printing the whole Outline
                  or only the Topic.

                  > I have failed to explain clearly that these choices came in
                  > successive boxes, not the same dialog box. Each offered me two
                  > and only two choices.

                  That is really strange. I have no idea why you would get that.
                  If you ever get it again could you take a screen shot of it and
                  send it to me private eMail please? Are you doing the printing
                  from a Clip by any chance?

                  > I think we have just about squeezed all the juice out of this
                  > one. I'll post (to the whole list and especially Jody) again
                  > only if the error reoccurs.

                  Feel free to keep posting until you understand how it works.
                  Others know where the delete key is if they are not interested.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2 12:57 AM
                    Hi Listees:

                    I have found my error which resulted in the loss of
                    some outline text and here suggest a way of avoiding
                    my mistake.

                    It involves the Show Headings command and has nothing
                    to do with printing or the Print dialog box.

                    When outline files are active, outline headers appear in
                    the left pane with the current topic text one is editing in
                    the right pane.

                    In my case, a heading appeared at the top of the current
                    topic pane. I wanted to remove the heading, but was not
                    aware that right clicking in the header pane would activate
                    a menu box where I could make this happen.

                    Show Heading, the bottom command in this menu
                    box, is a toggle switch. Checking it will cause the heading
                    to appear in the current topic pane. Unchecking it will delete
                    the heading in the current topic pane.

                    Instead of doing this, I highlighted the header in the current
                    topic pane and hit the delete button. The heading vanished.
                    Then I attempted to close the document and got a new dialog
                    box: Confirm changes to the file with a yes/no choice.

                    When I selected yes, a new Confirm dialog box appeared asking
                    if I really meant to remove this file. Again I clicked yes and poof
                    went my file. I have confirmed the result twice by repeating these
                    steps with a test file.

                    The moral is: be alert. Do not attempt to remove a header in the
                    current topic pane by highlighting and deleting it. If you do, say
                    Sayonara to your current topic file.

                    Paul King
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2 10:14 PM
                      Hi Paul,

                      > When outline files are active, outline headers appear in the
                      > left pane with the current topic text one is editing in the
                      > right pane.
                      >
                      > In my case, a heading appeared at the top of the current topic
                      > pane. I wanted to remove the heading, but was not aware that
                      > right clicking in the header pane would activate a menu box
                      > where I could make this happen.
                      >
                      > Show Heading, the bottom command in this menu box, is a toggle
                      > switch. Checking it will cause the heading to appear in the
                      > current topic pane. Unchecking it will delete the heading in
                      > the current topic pane.

                      I am sure glad you figured it out! It would be many moons till I
                      guessed at what happened. ;) About your last sentence above:
                      NoteTab does not delete the Heading as you probably figured, but
                      simply hides it from the Topic content pane until Show Headings
                      it clicked again. You will notice when you have Show Headings
                      off that and Edit Heading appears on the menu, but when Headings
                      are showing it is not there. That is because you edit the
                      heading in the Topic pane when it is in there.

                      I deleted a few a couple years ago like you did myself. <g>

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 3 1:11 AM
                        At 12:14 AM 7/3/00 -0500, Jody wrote:
                        >Hi Paul,
                        >
                        >NoteTab does not delete the Heading as you probably figured, but
                        >simply hides it from the Topic content pane until Show Headings
                        >it clicked again. You will notice when you have Show Headings
                        >off that and Edit Heading appears on the menu, but when Headings
                        >are showing it is not there. That is because you edit the
                        >heading in the Topic pane when it is in there.
                        >
                        >I deleted a few a couple years ago like you did myself. <g>

                        Hi Jody and listees:

                        Hide is indeed the operative word, not delete. But you see I
                        was targeting the header for deletion because I didn't want it
                        in the printed copy. By following this path, I ended up deleting
                        the entire text by mistake and went too far to undo the command.
                        And I erroneously blamed my mistake on the Print command.

                        PK
                      • David McIntosh
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 3 6:31 AM
                          Hi Paul
                          Have you checked the recycle bin.
                          thankyou dave

                          Paul King wrote:

                          > Hi Jody:
                          >
                          > I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus
                          > the heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover
                          > my loss. Any hope?
                          >
                          > As I recall, I was queried whether I wanted to print the
                          > specific heading or the the entire outline file. I chose
                          > the specific heading.
                          >
                          > Then I was asked another question and apparently made
                          > the wrong choice. This a new error for me, thus pushing
                          > up my grand total to a new high. 8--(
                          >
                          > Paul King

                          > Challenged with e-Business quality management? Register for a free
                          > Webinar featuring e-business testing and performance experts.
                        • Paul King
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 3 12:11 PM
                            At 11:31 PM 7/3/00 +1000, you wrote:
                            >Hi Paul
                            >Have you checked the recycle bin.
                            > thankyou dave
                            >
                            >Paul King wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Jody:
                            > >
                            > > I have just lost four pages from an outline heading (plus
                            > > the heading), I have a hard copy, but wish to recover
                            > > my loss. Any hope?
                            > >
                            > > Paul King

                            Hi Dave:

                            I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
                            I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
                            it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
                            The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
                            of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
                            is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
                            it still exists.

                            If I have this wrong, I'm sure it will be corrected immediately
                            by more than one person on the list. If you have been following
                            this thread, you can see how I discovered the cause of my loss.
                            It was a puzzling (and thoughtless) mistake on my part,

                            Thanks,
                            Paul King
                          • Larry Thomas
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 3 2:44 PM
                              Hi Paul and Dave,

                              At 12:11 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                              >Hi Dave:
                              >
                              >I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
                              >I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
                              >it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
                              >The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
                              >of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
                              >is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
                              >it still exists.
                              >
                              >If I have this wrong, I'm sure it will be corrected immediately
                              >by more than one person on the list. If you have been following
                              >this thread, you can see how I discovered the cause of my loss.
                              >It was a puzzling (and thoughtless) mistake on my part,
                              >
                              >Thanks,
                              >Paul King

                              There are several ways to lose and recover text and files in NoteTab. In
                              the case of simply deleting the whole file, NoteTab does in fact send it to
                              the recycle bin and you can recover it from there. In the case of deleting
                              text from within a file but not the file itself as you did with your
                              outline, there are two possible options.

                              A) If you have not saved the file after deleting the text and the text was
                              in the original file when you opened it, you can reload the file to recover
                              the text.

                              B) If (1) you have set the undo option to "Undo after Save" and (2) you
                              have not deleted an amount of text that is larger than undo can handle and
                              (3) you have not terminated NoteTab and then restarted it (which will clear
                              the undo option) then you can undo it. Undo has a history list and if you
                              have made several text changes but they are not too large for this function
                              then you can undo them one at a time starting with the last change you made
                              and progressively using undo to reverse the previous ones going from the
                              last change to the first one you made.

                              Regards,

                              Larry
                              larryt@...
                            • Paul King
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 3 4:07 PM
                                At 04:44 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

                                >Hi Paul and Dave,
                                >
                                >At 12:11 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                                > >Hi Dave:
                                > >
                                > >I was not ignoring your attempt to help me. For some reason
                                > >I saw your email for the first time this A. M. As I understand
                                > >it, there is no recourse to recovery from the trash bin in ntp.
                                > >The only option for text recovery is the Undo command which,
                                > >of course, you must use immediately after the loss or the copy
                                > >is gone forever. On occasion, Find may locate errant copy if
                                > >it still exists.
                                >
                                > >Thanks,
                                > >Paul King
                                >
                                >There are several ways to lose and recover text and files in NoteTab. In
                                >the case of simply deleting the whole file, NoteTab does in fact send it to
                                >the recycle bin and you can recover it from there. In the case of deleting
                                >text from within a file but not the file itself as you did with your
                                >outline, there are two possible options.
                                >
                                >A) If you have not saved the file after deleting the text and the text was
                                >in the original file when you opened it, you can reload the file to recover
                                >the text.
                                >
                                >B) If (1) you have set the undo option to "Undo after Save" and (2) you
                                >have not deleted an amount of text that is larger than undo can handle and
                                >(3) you have not terminated NoteTab and then restarted it (which will clear
                                >the undo option) then you can undo it. Undo has a history list and if you
                                >have made several text changes but they are not too large for this function
                                >then you can undo them one at a time starting with the last change you made
                                >and progressively using undo to reverse the previous ones going from the
                                >last change to the first one you made.
                                >
                                >Regards,
                                >
                                >Larry
                                >larryt@...

                                Thanks Larry:

                                It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                                which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                                for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                                examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                                out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                                reference. Same for your tips on outline text.

                                Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                                suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.

                                Paul King
                              • Larry Thomas
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 3 8:33 PM
                                  Hi Paul,

                                  At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                                  >Thanks Larry:
                                  >
                                  >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                                  >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                                  >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                                  >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                                  >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                                  >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
                                  >
                                  >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                                  >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
                                  >
                                  >Paul King

                                  You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.

                                  A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                                  View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                                  and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
                                  Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                                  the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                                  Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                                  file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                                  another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                                  Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
                                  periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                                  it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                                  amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

                                  Regards,

                                  Larry
                                  larryt@...
                                • Paul King
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 4 2:38 PM
                                    Hi Larry:

                                    I like your idea regarding incremental backups.

                                    Paul K.

                                    At 10:33 PM 7/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

                                    >Hi Paul,
                                    >
                                    >At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                                    > >Thanks Larry:
                                    > >
                                    > >It has been some time since I lost text in circumstances
                                    > >which caused me to reexamine recovery methods. Thanks
                                    > >for your lucid explanation. I have not only repeated your
                                    > >examples to verify that they work, but I have also printed
                                    > >out your email and posted it above my keyboard for
                                    > >reference. Same for your tips on outline text.
                                    > >
                                    > >Occasionally one can learn more from an error than he
                                    > >suffered from the loss it caused. I am much obliged.
                                    > >
                                    > >Paul King
                                    >

                                    >You are welcome. I am glad that I could help.
                                    >
                                    >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                                    >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                                    >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".

                                    I have had the .bak extension here since acquiring ntp. But
                                    your suggestion makes more sense, especially for those
                                    files requiring frequent editing, I also print these out from
                                    time to time and move the copies along by snail mail. More
                                    and more, however, the text travels by email.

                                    >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                                    >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                                    >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                                    >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                                    >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                                    >Myoutline.002otl and so forth.

                                    This is especially appropriate for my outline files. Many tasks
                                    I formerly performed in WordPerfect I now perform in ntp
                                    because of its speed and flexibility. Note Tab Pro has nearly
                                    all of the functions I need for editing text.

                                    > You can write a clip or a batch file to
                                    >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                                    >it when you want to do this, but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                                    >among these backup files that you can recover lost text from.
                                    >
                                    >Regards,
                                    >
                                    >Larry
                                    >larryt@...
                                  • Jim Hall
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 4 6:13 PM
                                      Paul, Larry and all,

                                      >A special suggestion for you here for future reference is to go to
                                      >View|Options and select the File tab. Then check the "Make Backups" box
                                      >and under the drop down list titled "Backup Types" select "incremental".
                                      >Now whenever you save a file, NoteTab will automatically make a backup of
                                      >the previous file with an incremental extension (up to 999). Example:
                                      >Myoutline.otl will be updated when you save it and a backup copy of the old
                                      >file will be made with the name of Myoutline.001otl. If you update again,
                                      >another backup will be made of the second file with the name of
                                      >Myoutline.002otl and so forth. You can write a clip or a batch file to
                                      >periodically clean out the .???otl files from the NoteTab folders and run
                                      >it when you want to do this but in the mean time, you will have a copy
                                      >amonhg these backup files that you can recover lost text from.

                                      FWIW
                                      Though this thread hasn't quite gotten there yet,it is getting close so
                                      just a reminder in case you didn't see the past post regarding "UNDO AFTER
                                      SAVE" with "AUTOSAVE TURNED ON". For some reason an autosave dumps the undo
                                      list in 4.82. Eric is aware of this and it is on the list to be fixed. Just
                                      be aware if you are working on something critical that it might be better
                                      not to depend on the autosave option. Instead Manual Incremental Saves as
                                      Larry has cited will be a lot safer.

                                      Regards,

                                      Jim