Re: [NTB] Formatting???

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2000
      Hi Scott,

      >I have been having a problem with formatting my documents, everytime I
      >format one line or one part of the document the rest of the document gets
      >changed to this new font also.

      That's because NoteTab is a text editor and not a word processor. The
      files save as plain unformatted .txt. The displayed font cannot be changed
      for parts of the document.

      I've heard there shall be some formatting options in a future version,
      though. That worries me a little.

      Jody, can you explain if that means Note Tab will lose the status of editor
      for "text only" or have I understood the whole thing wrong?

      Regards,

      Lotta
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2000
        Hi Lotta,

        > I've heard there shall be some formatting options in a future
        > version, though. That worries me a little.
        >
        > Jody, can you explain if that means Note Tab will lose the
        > status of editor for "text only" or have I understood the whole
        > thing wrong?

        Somebody wrote in and Eric relied after a long discussion on this
        topic:

        > In my opinion, the last thing Eric should do is start adding
        > things like bold and underline. Isn't NoteTab meant to be a
        > PLAIN ASCII TEXT editor? If you want bold and underline, use a
        > word-processor, because once you start adding word-processor
        > type functions, where do you stop? Will bold and underline be
        > enough? Not likely.
        >
        > Does anyone else agree/disagree with me?

        Sorry, I'm entering this thread so late. First of all, NoteTab
        Pro will always remain a plain-text editor. I also plan to make
        NoteTab Gold a plain-text editor too. However, I think there is
        enough demand for a version of NoteTab that offers the same
        formatting capabilities as WordPad. Some people have a need for a
        certain amount of formatting, which can be stored in RTF format.
        It makes sense that these people would also like to benefit from
        the flexibility of the NoteTab interface.

        An RTF version of NoteTab has been on my to-do list for a while.
        I hope that someday, in the not-too-distant future, I will have
        the time to develop such a version.

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        -----------
        NoteTab v4.8 available from

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2000
          Hi Jody,

          At 03:58 2000-06-23, you (or rather Eric) wrote:
          >First of all, NoteTab
          >Pro will always remain a plain-text editor.

          Thank heavens. And thank you too, Jody.

          I've heard about, I think, 3 future versions. 5, Gold and 2000 (?) or
          something. Guess they were discussed before I subscribed. I have never got
          a clear picture of difference between them.

          Bye,

          Lotta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2000
            Hi Lotta,

            > I've heard about, I think, 3 future versions. 5, Gold and 2000
            > (?) or something. Guess they were discussed before I
            > subscribed. I have never got a clear picture of difference
            > between them.

            Do yourself a big favor. Turn in your assignments for ClipClass ;)
            and forget about the versions in the future. When Eric get's the
            time to start working on them there will be months of testing
            going on and plenty of time for input.