Tab stop settings

  • Sleepless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2000
      I fear that I already got the answer to this question once
      before. But I'm asking again because it is very difficult for me
      to conceive of a text editor that doesn't allow you to set the
      tab stops. So I'm wondering if I got it wrong the first time
      around.

      I use NoteTab Pro. And I find the built in tab stop which tabs
      to the ninth column is not appropriate. I suppose that setting
      has some use to programmers. But for typing plain text, a
      setting of five or six is more appropriate.

      But in the help files it seems like it's saying that you can
      only change the tab stops in NT Standard or NT Light. But not
      NTP.

      Are the tab stops in NTP really not user configurable?

      Why is that?
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 30, 2000
        Hi Sleepless

        > I use NoteTab Pro. And I find the built in tab stop which tabs
        > to the ninth column is not appropriate. I suppose that setting
        > has some use to programmers. But for typing plain text, a
        > setting of five or six is more appropriate.
        >
        > But in the help files it seems like it's saying that you can
        > only change the tab stops in NT Standard or NT Light. But not
        > NTP.
        >
        > Are the tab stops in NTP really not user configurable?

        I think you missed a key word while reading Help. NoteTab
        Standard/Light can be configured to use **multiple** tab stops of
        varying sizes whereas NoteTab Pro cannot do multiple tab stops.
        You can change the width of the tab size in Pro under the
        Document tab for a global setting effecting all new documents or
        you can override that in the document properties under the
        Documents menu for each document. From Help:

        Tab Size:
        Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in NoteTab Std by
        separating each value with a semi-colon (;). Values must be
        ordered in increasing sizes and represent the distance from the
        left margin.

        Tab Units (only available in NoteTab Light/Std):
        Defines units used for tab size.

        Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro):
        You can change the behavior of the editor by changing this
        option. If the tab type is set to Real, pressing <Tab> inserts a
        "real" tab character into the document. If the tab type is set to
        Fixed, pressing <Tab> inserts enough spaces to move the cursor to
        the next tab stop. (This is called "fixed tabs" because the
        position of existing text will not change if the tab size is
        later changed, as it does if real tabs are used.) If the tab type
        is set to Smart, spaces are also inserted into the document, but
        the positions of the tab stops are a function of the positions of
        the words in the previous line.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab
      • james.homme@highmark.com
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2000
          Hi,
          Finally, here is one I can answer.

          Ggo into View.
          Press Options.
          Press Documents.
          Find tab size and change it to what you want.

          I have mine set to two so I can see more on my braille display. I find that when
          other people get my files and put them into their editors and program with them
          that the tabs appear the way they want them.
          Jim

          Sleepless in Seattle <desvelado@...> on 04/30/2000 03:59:19 PM

          Please respond to notetab@egroups.com

          cc: (bcc: James D Homme/Contractor/Highmark)

          Subject: [NTB] Tab stop settings

          I fear that I already got the answer to this question once
          before. But I'm asking again because it is very difficult for me
          to conceive of a text editor that doesn't allow you to set the
          tab stops. So I'm wondering if I got it wrong the first time
          around.

          I use NoteTab Pro. And I find the built in tab stop which tabs
          to the ninth column is not appropriate. I suppose that setting
          has some use to programmers. But for typing plain text, a
          setting of five or six is more appropriate.

          But in the help files it seems like it's saying that you can
          only change the tab stops in NT Standard or NT Light. But not
          NTP.

          Are the tab stops in NTP really not user configurable?

          Why is that?

          http://click.egroups.com/1/3019/6/_/2478/_/957124814/

          ----------

          "This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely
          received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender. The views expressed in
          this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its
          subsidiaries, or affiliates."

        • Sleepless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2000
            james.homme@... wrote:

            > Hi,
            > Finally, here is one I can answer.
            >
            > Ggo into View.
            > Press Options.
            > Press Documents.
            > Find tab size and change it to what you want.

            Thanks Jim and Jody.

            It's all so easy when you know how!
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2000
              Hi Sleepless,

              > Thanks Jim and Jody.

              You're welcome!-)

              > It's all so easy when you know how!

              I think the best way to learn NoteTab's features is to go through
              Options and change settings to see the effect it has. There is a
              Help button on every tab display. Perhaps do a tab a day. I
              learn things a lot better by searching for the answer and
              remember it longer than I do when somebody gives me the answer.
              Additional, when I an searching for an answer I find out new
              things a long the way.

              "A tab a day helps keep Jody away." <bg>

              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                Jody wrote:

                > I think the best way to learn NoteTab's features is to go through
                > Options and change settings to see the effect it has. There is a
                > Help button on every tab display. Perhaps do a tab a day. I
                > learn things a lot better by searching for the answer and
                > remember it longer than I do when somebody gives me the answer.
                > Additional, when I an searching for an answer I find out new
                > things a long the way.

                Thanks for those tips Jody.

                I suffer from a little understood progressively disabling chronic
                illness that makes it increasingly difficult for me to sit up at
                my desk to use my computer. So I'm not able to devote much time
                to browsing through all the options and tabs to see what I might
                find. As I become more and more house-bound, my computer is
                becoming more-and-more my life-line to the outside world. That's
                why I rely on you guys to tell me where to find stuff. I just
                don't have the stamina to dig it out anymore. Just sitting up in
                a chair is painful, and the longer I sit the more painful it
                gets.

                So please accept my thanks for all the times you guys have helped
                me out. I'll try not to wear out my welcome here.
              • james.homme@highmark.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                  Hi Sleepless,
                  You just keep asking. If I know, I'll keep telling.
                  Jim

                  Sleepless in Seattle <desvelado@...> on 05/02/2000 12:27:04 PM

                  Please respond to notetab@egroups.com

                  To: notetab@egroups.com

                  cc: (bcc: James D Homme/Contractor/Highmark)

                  Subject: Re: [NTB] Tab stop settings

                  Jody wrote:

                  > I think the best way to learn NoteTab's features is to go through
                  > Options and change settings to see the effect it has. There is a
                  > Help button on every tab display. Perhaps do a tab a day. I
                  > learn things a lot better by searching for the answer and
                  > remember it longer than I do when somebody gives me the answer.
                  > Additional, when I an searching for an answer I find out new
                  > things a long the way.

                  Thanks for those tips Jody.

                  I suffer from a little understood progressively disabling chronic
                  illness that makes it increasingly difficult for me to sit up at
                  my desk to use my computer. So I'm not able to devote much time
                  to browsing through all the options and tabs to see what I might
                  find. As I become more and more house-bound, my computer is
                  becoming more-and-more my life-line to the outside world. That's
                  why I rely on you guys to tell me where to find stuff. I just
                  don't have the stamina to dig it out anymore. Just sitting up in
                  a chair is painful, and the longer I sit the more painful it
                  gets.

                  So please accept my thanks for all the times you guys have helped
                  me out. I'll try not to wear out my welcome here.

                  eLerts
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/3864/6/_/2478/_/957284882/

                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                    Hi Sleepless,

                    > So please accept my thanks for all the times you guys have
                    > helped me out. I'll try not to wear out my welcome here.

                    No problem, you ask questions that I am sure others are
                    interesting in as well, and do not ask for whatever reason. I
                    don't know if it would help you, but you might consider opening
                    Options, and use the Help button on each tab. When the Help file
                    opens to the tab's section in Help, print it. Perhaps you can
                    then read it in a more comfortable position.

                    I'm glad you wrote, saves me the trouble of trying to remember to write you. <g> I received a post from a member that thought I had said something to you that was uncalled for in the sense I was belittling because he did not know what <bg> meant. It followed my long paragraph reply to your reply about how to select the text to use in the Find side of the Replace dialog to reformat your country codes list.

                    > So, now, tell me what I just did.

                    You formatted your document.?.?.? <bg>

                    If you remember, you followed your question above with what you
                    really wanted to ask/find out. So, being the jokester I am at
                    times, I split the paragraph to make a joke out of it, because by
                    itself means you did not remember what you just did. Obviously
                    you did else you wouldn't have asked specific questions about it.
                    In case you or others don't know, here are some symbols commonly
                    used in eMail to show expression or the like:

                    :), ;), :-), :-D, ;-> are smiley faces (See the "Smilies" Library)

                    Here are some of the common acronyms (and the like) used:

                    <g> = grin
                    <bg> = big grin
                    <vbg> = very big grin
                    LOL = Laughing out loud
                    ROTFL = Rolling on the floor laughing
                    FWIW = For what it's worth
                    IMO = In my opinion
                    CYA = "I will see you later" is the "Windows" version ;)
                    DOS version: See~you or See~ya.

                    Bye for now,
                    Jody Adair
                    Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                    http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                    http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                    http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                  • Stefan Elssner
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                      Jody wrote:

                      >Here are some of the common acronyms (and the like) used:
                      >
                      ><g> = grin
                      ><bg> = big grin
                      ><vbg> = very big grin
                      >LOL = Laughing out loud
                      >ROTFL = Rolling on the floor laughing
                      >FWIW = For what it's worth
                      >IMO = In my opinion
                      >CYA = "I will see you later" is the "Windows" version ;)
                      > DOS version: See~you or See~ya.

                      Sometimes you will also see:
                      *g*
                      *bg*
                      and so on, the same meaning as above
                      AFAIK (as far as i know) that comes from some chat services that use <>
                      to sorround members <nick names>.

                      I for myself like to use IMHO rather than IMO *s* ('in my humble
                      opinion', the *s* stands for - yes - smile) ;)

                      cya
                      (read it as the version your OS provides ;) )

                      Stefan
                      ---
                      Stefan Elssner
                      (still in Berlin *g*)
                      elssner@...
                    • Michael Acklin
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                        I always like this one

                        C U L8R = See you later
                        BRB = Be Right Back
                        AFK = Away From Keyboard

                        At 09:34 PM 5/2/00 +0200, you wrote:
                        >Jody wrote:
                        > >
                        > >Here are some of the common acronyms (and the like) used:
                        > >
                        > ><g> = grin
                        > ><bg> = big grin
                        > ><vbg> = very big grin
                        > >LOL = Laughing out loud
                        > >ROTFL = Rolling on the floor laughing
                        > >FWIW = For what it's worth
                        > >IMO = In my opinion
                        > >CYA = "I will see you later" is the "Windows" version ;)
                        > > DOS version: See~you or See~ya.
                        > >

                        >Sometimes you will also see:
                        >*g*
                        >*bg*
                        >and so on, the same meaning as above
                        >AFAIK (as far as i know) that comes from some chat services that use <>
                        >to sorround members <nick names>.
                        >
                        >I for myself like to use IMHO rather than IMO *s* ('in my humble
                        >opinion', the *s* stands for - yes - smile) ;)
                        >
                        >cya
                        >(read it as the version your OS provides ;) )
                        >
                        >Stefan
                        >---
                        >Stefan Elssner
                        >(still in Berlin *g*)
                        >elssner@...

                        >Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                        >more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                        >rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                      • Stefan Elssner
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                          >I always like this one
                          >
                          >C U L8R = See you later
                          >BRB = Be Right Back
                          >AFK = Away From Keyboard

                          I like the shorts:
                          cu, or
                          l8r

                          ;-)

                          for the brb there is (as most of you know, sorry) the answer
                          wb (welcome back) (in case you did really came back *gg*)

                          always friendly, and in some cases preventing a world war:
                          NOM - no offense meant

                          nom
                          cu
                          Stefan ;-))
                        • Grey Cat
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 2, 2000
                              Hi sleepless
                              I spend all my time in front of my screen as I can't sleep due to lung
                              disease so I know what it is like for you.
                              But hey don't let it get you down, I say what I think and get in hot water
                              you may have noticed.
                              I am in the UK so if there is anything you want mail me if I can it will be
                              done.
                              These lists are the best on the web the nicest people around.

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 3, 2000
                                Thanks for the pep talk! It cheered me up!

                                So, what part of the UK?

                                City or country?

                                I hiked around in the countryside around London in April of '72
                                and every spring since then, when the weather turns mild again,
                                I'm reminded of that idylic time.