Re: [NTB] Security...Locking a NoteTab file from NT

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29 11:16 PM
      "Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr." <lmhamilton@...> wrote:
      >Hi Gary,
      >
      >On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 15:31:55 -0600 Gary Luther <gkluther@...>
      >writes:
      >> Hello Jody,
      >>
      >> I have been thrown into a supervisory role with 3 people under
      >> me. I think I want to use NT to keep notes, observations, etc.
      >> on my people so my memory doesn't have to be so long when its
      >> review time.
      >>
      >> Is there some feature of NoteTab yet undiscovered by me that
      >> allows you to EASILY crypt and unencrypt a file so that any
      >> prying eyes cannot easily read the file? Just hoping.
      >
      >See the NoteAwk Clip Library Written by Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      >Homepage: http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/
      >
      >It has some Perl and Awk scripts that do some text manipulations, and can
      >put them back into legible text. As long as no one knows what you used to
      >"scramble" the text, and maybe had it in a special hidden directory, it
      >might meet your needs.

      While I am glad Lawrence mentioned NoteAwk, as the author I have to
      say that it is not the best solution for this task of encryption. Use
      PGP to do you encrypting.

      There should already be a clipbook for use PGP with NoteTab. Using a
      clip to launch PGP is the only approach I'd recommend. On the other
      hand, the recent Window's versions of PGP (e.g. Version 5 or higher)
      are so easy to use, you shouldn't need a clip. Just copy the message
      to the clipboard and use the "(De)Encrypt Clipboard" option from PGP's
      tray icon.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen