Re: [NTB] Printing .otl files

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
      Paul,

      >I am accumulating cipher files as .otl files in Favorites.
      >Cryptography is one of my hobbies.
      >
      >When I attempt to print one of these files, I get this message:
      >
      > "Print all Outline headings from C:\Program Files\
      > Note Tab Pro\Outlines\ACA\Ciphers.otl?"
      >
      >This refers to the left hand column docked to the document pane.
      >
      >But what I really want to print is the document pane. What
      >I have been doing is highlighting the entire document screen,
      >then moving it to a new document file in order to print it.
      >
      >There must be a simpler way. Can anyone help?

      It probably depends on your printer and it's available options but try this and see if it helps.

      Highlight the desired text, go to FILE|PRINT

      When the Dialog Box opens choose the "SELECTION" button instead of the default "ALL".

      BTW this is also a good way to print a portion of a Web Page instead of the whole thing.

      Regards

      Jim

    • Paul M. King
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
        At 02:38 PM 4/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Paul and Jim,
        >
        > > When I attempt to print one of these files, I get this message:
        > >
        > > "Print all Outline headings from C:\Program Files\
        > > Note Tab Pro\Outlines\ACA\Ciphers.otl?"
        > >
        > > This refers to the left hand column docked to the document pane.
        >
        >No, that is asking if you want to print the whole Outline or just
        >the current Topic. Yes, prints out the whole Outline and No only
        >prints the current Topic.
        >
        >When NoteTab says headings, it can refer to just the heading in
        >the heading pane or the whole Topic including the Topic contents,
        >the actual body of text in the edit window portion of the
        >Outline.
        >
        > > But what I really want to print is the document pane.
        >
        >Answer "No" to the question. You might try out my Outline
        >Library that has some printing Clips in it. You can get there
        >from the link below and look on the Libraries page for Outline.
        >
        >Happy NoteTab'n,
        >Jody Adair

        Hi Jody:

        Since I'm a "show me" guy, I went back and wasted a
        little paper to verify your point. Right on, although I
        think the yes/no dialogue panel is not worded to promote
        clear and immediate understanding.

        Not to worry. I aborted before printing out the entire
        list of documents. I am delighted you cleared this up.
        I find use of Favorites and .otl files expedites handling
        cryptogram files and I'm in there for something daily.

        Paul K.
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
          Hi Paul,

          > Since I'm a "show me" guy, I went back and wasted a little
          > paper to verify your point. Right on, although I think the
          > yes/no dialogue panel is not worded to promote clear and
          > immediate understanding.

          I agree. There has always been confusion on the difference
          between Heading and Topic, and when NoteTab is talking about the
          whole Topic or just the heading when the term "heading" is used.

          Perhaps instead of:

          Print all Outline headings from...?

          something like:

          Answer "Yes" to print the entire outline or "No" to print the
          current Topic.

          > Not to worry. I aborted before printing out the entire list of
          > documents. I am delighted you cleared this up. I find use of
          > Favorites and .otl files expedites handling cryptogram files
          > and I'm in there for something daily.

          I made an out line with two Topics containing one line in each
          Topic to test with before posting. :)

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab
        • Paul M. King
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
            At 05:11 PM 4/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
            >Hi Paul,
            >
            >There has always been confusion on the difference
            >between Heading and Topic, and when NoteTab is talking about the
            >whole Topic or just the heading when the term "heading" is used.
            >
            >Perhaps instead of:
            >
            >Print all Outline headings from...?
            >
            >something like:
            >
            >Answer "Yes" to print the entire outline or "No" to print the
            >current Topic.
            >

            >Happy NoteTab'n,
            >Jody Adair

            Hi Jody:

            How about: Answer "Yes" to print all files in the current
            outline folder or "No" to print only the current topic in focus
            on the document pane.

            This might be a tad wordy, but clearer.

            Paul K.
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
              Hi Paul,

              > How about: Answer "Yes" to print all files in the current
              > outline folder or "No" to print only the current topic in focus
              > on the document pane.

              That is not correct though Paul. It does not print more than one
              whole Outline. The may be many files in whatever *your* Outline
              folder is. NoteTab is only concerned with the one you are trying
              to print. It gives you a choice to print the whole Outline or
              the current Topic. If Eric changes it I am sure he will make sure
              it is clear to the user what it does.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
                At 07:53 PM 4/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Paul,
                >
                > > How about: Answer "Yes" to print all files in the current
                > > outline folder or "No" to print only the current topic in focus
                > > on the document pane.
                >
                >That is not correct though Paul. It does not print more than one
                >whole Outline. The may be many files in whatever *your* Outline
                >folder is. NoteTab is only concerned with the one you are trying
                >to print. It gives you a choice to print the whole Outline or
                >the current Topic. If Eric changes it I am sure he will make sure
                >it is clear to the user what it does.
                >
                >Happy NoteTab'n,
                >Jody Adair

                Hi Jody:

                I stand corrected on terminology. But I think the basic idea
                here is that "Yes" means many things will be printed and
                "No" means only one thing will be printed. I did not use the
                right term for "things." Or should it be "thingies?" ;--)

                It's more like e pluribus unum. From the many, one. From the
                entire set of files (in the outline), one. I see your distinction.

                Paul K.
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
                  Hi Paul

                  Yes, that is what I said:

                  Answer "Yes" to print the entire outline or "No" to print the
                  current Topic. ;)

                  I suppose you could go into overkill mode and say:

                  Click on "Yes" to print the entire Outline (all Topics and
                  content) or "No" to print the focused Topic (one Topic and
                  content).

                  Anyhow, I am sure Eric will see this and decide if he wants
                  to make a change and then will do what he wants. ;)

                  I'm glad the Clip Editor post helped.

                • james.homme@highmark.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1 5:14 AM
                    Hi,
                    I think it is really asking you if you want to print the whole file.
                    Jim

                    "Paul M. King" <peking7@...> on 04/29/2000 02:38:54 PM

                    Please respond to notetab@egroups.com

                    To: notetab@egroups.com

                    cc: (bcc: James D Homme/Contractor/Highmark)

                    Subject: [NTB] Printing .otl files

                    Hi List:

                    I am accumulating cipher files as .otl files in Favorites.
                    Cryptography is one of my hobbies.

                    When I attempt to print one of these files, I get this message:

                    "Print all Outline headings from C:\Program Files\
                    Note Tab Pro\Outlines\ACA\Ciphers.otl?"

                    This refers to the left hand column docked to the document pane.

                    But what I really want to print is the document pane. What
                    I have been doing is highlighting the entire document screen,
                    then moving it to a new document file in order to print it.

                    There must be a simpler way. Can anyone help?

                    Paul King

                    http://click.egroups.com/1/3020/6/_/2478/_/957033612/

                    "This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely
                    received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender. The views expressed in
                    this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its
                    subsidiaries, or affiliates."